welding vertical with a mig welder

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• welding vertical with a mig welder

i am new to welding and would like to perfect the art of welding vertical is there any one who can give me some hints or secrets or ideas so i may perfect the art of welding vertical thanks to all who reply cato

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxAHPJL_crU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yg9O7GhCc7A

Comment

I think my favorite weld is a vertical down with a mig gun. I run the same settings as I do for flat welds and use a backwards "c" movement with the arc. Some like to go down in power a bit for out of position welding but I like to keep the same settings and move just a bit faster.
      Stephen
      Millermatic 251
      Miller Syncrowave 200
      Miller 30A Spool Gun
      Hypertherm PowerMax 30
      Etc., Etc., Etc......
      Western Arkansas Welding

Comment

Flat and Horizontal

Originally posted by crazycato View Post
        i am new to welding and would like to perfect the art of welding vertical is there any one who can give me some hints or secrets or ideas so i may perfect the art of welding vertical thanks to all who reply cato
        If you're new to welding, perfect the art of flat and horizontal (grooves & fillets), and then graduate to verticals.

Invest in a GMAW Handbook. There's usually an enitre chapter dedicated to OP welding.

There's just too many variables and scenarios to cover in one answer.
        "Bonne journe'e mes amis"

Comment

Amen to opening a book. There are no "presto-chango" answers on here to get you started. That's what textbooks are for.

Check out the Lincoln Foundation's "New Lessons in Arc Welding". It will guide you step by step through every type of weld for mig, stick and tig. Lesson plans include weld procedures, amperage settings, everything you need to get started
          Big Blue 400D
          Trailblazer 302
          Miller S-32 suitcase
          12VS suitcase
          Lincoln LN-7 (BIG suitcase)
          Victor torches
          Lincoln 350MP with 35' push-pull gun
          Lincoln PrecisionTIG 375
          Spectrum 1000 plasma cutter

Comment

thanks

Thank you all for taking the time to help me I will get the book as soon as possable but if any can think of anythig else please post

Comment

Check this page out, he's got some good techniques that should help you get started:

http://www.weldingtipsandtricks.com/...l-welding.html
              Big Blue 400D
              Trailblazer 302
              Miller S-32 suitcase
              12VS suitcase
              Lincoln LN-7 (BIG suitcase)
              Victor torches
              Lincoln 350MP with 35' push-pull gun
              Lincoln PrecisionTIG 375
              Spectrum 1000 plasma cutter

Comment

tricks of vertical

best trick there is is practice and lots of it
                330 a/bp
                211 w/ 100 spoolgun
                lucky's ss digital elite
                victor o/a
                milwaukee tools

Comment

Goinssr.

You should get iut of the habit of doing vertical down welds, Verticle down welds have a tendancy of getting bad penetration because the molten puddle rolls down into the weld.

Vertical down welds are typically good on thin sheet metal but not good for heavy plate.

There are some processes that call out for vertical down but if your not skilled enouph to stay in front of the puddle you may get a weak weld.

When doing a vertical up weld with mig it is common to turn your machine down because its a high deposition weld which builds alot of heat into your work peice.

Comment

Myself and some of the guys needed selfshielding FCAW,AWS certs.Our setup with a miller shopmaster is as follows; Lincoln nr 212 .045,DCEN,150ipm,19-20v. New contact tip(s),new liner,and clean plates. We welded vertical up,with execellent results,and three of us passing the bend test.

Comment

do you want to go up or downhand, , , whats material thickness, sheet, pipe, etc.
                      back to you

Comment

Working...
                      X