No announcement yet.

Argon...Straight for MIG welding Mild Steel and Chrome Moly

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Argon...Straight for MIG welding Mild Steel and Chrome Moly

Tonight I ran out of Argon/Co2 mix and need to weld in the morning. I have Straight Argon for my TIG welder but have never used it for shielding for MIG process. Is this advisable or not. Any issues I must be aware of if I do use it? Please…..any help would be appreciated. Thank you all.
    Screwdrivers (2) I have one Philips and one straight,
    Hack saw (blade pretty dull)
    hammer (brass, like my b@lls)
    scribe (pretty dull)
    torch (one of those little ones from Ace Hardware)
    wire brush (half worn)
    Beer Fridge (full on Friday, empty on Sunday)

won't work.....

it will kinda work, but you wont like what happens, nor will you like havin to grind all the welds back out cause they didnt penetrate

nothing fancy, just a few hot glue guns for metal

As an experiment, I tried pure argon and .035 70S-6 with my 200 amp mig. Even with the machine turned all the way up, there was practically no penetration and not very good fusion either. Maybe I could make it work with the XMT or 350P running .030 wire, but I have no need to try it.

You'll be better off waiting till you have the right gas to do your project.
        Millermatic350P/Python, MillermaticReach/Q300
        HTP MIG200
        PowCon 300SM, MK Cobramatic
        ThermalArc 185ACDC, Dynaflux Tig'r, CK-20
        DialarcHF, Radiator-1
        Hypertherm PowerMax 380
        Purox oxy/ace
        Jackson EQC
        -F350 CrewCab 4x4
        -LoadNGo utility bed
        -Bobcat 250NT
        -Smith oxy/propane
        -Jackson EQC

Hey kata,
          You didn't indicate the size of bottle you have. I generally use 80 & 125cf bottles in the shop on my units. I keep (2) spares.... a 40cf of C25 & a 40cf of AR. These are for the sometimes weekends of a "just-in-case" as most LWS or other suppliers are closed. A couple 40cf bottles can be inexpensive with some diggin' on C/L or your local classifieds. My (2) spare bottles have saves my a$$ several times.

* Complete welding, machine, & fab shop *
          * Mobile unit *
          * Finally retired *

* A man's word is his honor..... without honor, there is nothing. *
          * Words are like bullets..... once they leave your muzzle, you cannot get them back. *
          * I have no reservation to kill nor hesitation to die for the U.S. Constitution & the American Flag. *
          * Age is a state of mind..... at my age, you cannot fathom what is in my mind. *

Years ago i was working midnights and ran out of gas. So i stuck a bottle of pure Argon and went back to welding. Except for a taller bead i couldn't tell the difference. But i was using a Deltaweld 452 with .045 wire and it was cranked up pretty good. Would i do it again. Only if i was on deserted island and thats all there was. But i did do a small job last week for a guy welding a garden tractor exhaust. I had used my spoolgun earlier in the day on some alum and forgot to change the gas back to my new bottle of 75/25. I welded around the pipe and told the guy man theres a lot of Argon in that new bottle. Then i noticed it was pure Argon. Oh well it worked great and looked good too...Bob
            Bob Wright

Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.

as previously stated there will be very little penetration. at work sometimes we have specific applications for this and i do it intentionally.
              330 a/bp
              211 w/ 100 spoolgun
              lucky's ss digital elite
              victor o/a
              milwaukee tools

The co2 helps carry and stabilize the arc. Without it you will have lots of problems.
                Miller syncrowave 200 runner with coolmate 4
                and wp2025 weldcraft torch
                Miller 125c plasma cutter

Straight argon will get you by in a pinch. Use lots of heat because it won't penetrate as much but in a pinch I've done it before. It's true that CO2 will help stabilize the arc but it doesn't do THAT much. If it did then you couldn't weld with a 95/5 or a 98/2 argon oxygen mix, which is what is preferred (even necessary) for spray arc stuff. Just lots of heat is the key.
                  Big Blue 400D
                  Trailblazer 302
                  Miller S-32 suitcase
                  12VS suitcase
                  Lincoln LN-7 (BIG suitcase)
                  Victor torches
                  Lincoln 350MP with 35' push-pull gun
                  Lincoln PrecisionTIG 375
                  Spectrum 1000 plasma cutter