Possible Dynasty 200DX problem...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible Dynasty 200DX problem...

I am pretty new to welding, i took a few classes at the college and have been practicing at home for probably a year since. I bought a dynasty 200dx and everything has been working great with it. Probably since this summer, something seemed to change when i strike an arc with the tig now. I used to get a normal arc that i could see perfectly through my hood like i'm used to. Now, just about anytime i strike an arc my arc starts out as this really bright blinding light and i can't see. If i step on the peddle and crank up the amperage, this usually goes away and i get my normal arc back and can continue but its driving me crazy because it never used to happen? Like i said, i'm not totally new to welding but i don't know what this is. Does this sound familiar to anyone? I'm not "great" about cleaning my surfaces before welding but i give them a quick wire brush so i would think its that. I've ground and reground my tungsten so i knew it wasn't contaminated. My shielding gas seems to be dispensing fine as far as i can tell. Anyone have any ideas? I mostly just work with mild steel at the moment.
    Dynasty 200dx
    Hypertherm PowerMax 30 Plasma
    Various angle grinders
    "Don't look now but your pants are on fire......again" Fellow welding student.

Are you using an auto darkening hood or traditional?
    2007 Miller Dynasty 200 DX
    2005 Miller Passport 180

Comment

I've got a Miller elite auto dark. I don't know much about tweaking it though, do you think that could be it?
      Dynasty 200dx
      Various angle grinders

Comment

Use a striker to check your hood. Even the sparks from a grinder should be enough.
        Con Fuse!
        Miller Dynasty 350
        Millermatic 350P
        -Spoolmatic 30A

Hypertherm PowerMax 1000G3
        Miller Multimatic 200 - awesome portable MIG (and stick and TIG)
        Miller Maxstar 200DX - portable TIG and stick

Comment

Should i just set it to a higher level shade and see if that fixes it?
          Dynasty 200dx
          Various angle grinders

Comment

Not familiar with that hood, does it have adjustments for sensitivity and cycle times? Sounds like it's just not triggering due to the low intensity of the starting arc. A dirty/cloudy cover plate that blocks the sensors doesn't help either.
            Obviously, I'm just a hack-artist, you shouldn't be listening to anything I say .....

Comment

It does have adjustments for those things. What should they be set on? For some reason i wanted to say shade #12, is that right? Not sure about the cycle time....is that the same as the delay?
              Dynasty 200dx
              Various angle grinders

Comment

Originally posted by barkerw View Post
                I've got a Miller elite auto dark. I don't know much about tweaking it though, do you think that could be it?
                Since it's normal for TIG welding to give off "a bright blinding light" when viewed through the default no-power shade, my guess would be the problem is probably with your hood, not with the Dynasty. Check to make sure there's nothing blocking the sensors, max out the sensitivity and delay settings. I don't own an Elite, but I know the upper tier models have a delay adjustment. If playing around with the sensitivity and/or delay settings doesn't help, try welding using a friend's hood and see if that fixes the problem.

Common problem encountered with many auto darkening hoods is that they'll start acting flaky when the batteries aren't charged up enough. If you weld for a living it's usually not an issue because the little solar cell on the front will see 40 hours a week of arc time. If you store your hood in the dark, the batteries will run low after a while. If you only weld occasionally with a solar charged auto hood, store it out in the open where it'll get some daylight to maintain the battery.

Auto hoods are convenient, but I have yet to weld with one that will beat the clarity you get with a traditional hood with a quality filter lens. A Lincoln "super-visibilty" in shade 10 or 11 is good choice - they only cost about $3 so you can afford to experiment bit with different shades. If you don't own a fixed shade hood, definitely invest in one. It will take some time to get used to, but I think it's well worth the effort. I own five different hoods and only one of 'em is an auto (Speedglas 9002x with the bells and whistles). My favorite hood for low amp TIG is still a beat up old $40 Fibre-metal.
                Last edited by MR.57; 12-13-2010, 12:47 PM.
                2007 Miller Dynasty 200 DX
                2005 Miller Passport 180

Comment

Hood is flashing you.

Never ceases to amaze me. People go out and spend $250+ on a quality hood and don't take 10 minutes to read the Owner's Manual that came with it.

Learn to set the hood up properly and your problems will go away.
                  Syncrowave 250 DX Tigrunner
                  Dynasty 200 DX
                  Miller XMT 304 w/714D Feeder & Optima Control
                  Miller MM 251 w/Q300 & 30A SG
                  Hobart HH187
                  Dialarc 250 AC/DC
                  Hypertherm PM 600 & 1250
                  Wilton 7"x12" bandsaw
                  PC Dry Cut Saw, Dewalt Chop Saw
                  Milwaukee 8" Metal Cut Saw, Milwaukee Portaband.
                  Thermco and Smith (2) Gas Mixers
                  More grinders than hands

Comment

I got it for $100 off craigslist.
                    (Needless to say, no manual)
                    Last edited by barkerw; 12-14-2010, 09:00 AM.
                    Dynasty 200dx
                    Various angle grinders

Comment

http://www.millerwelds.com/om/o217741e_mil.pdf
                      Obviously, I'm just a hack-artist, you shouldn't be listening to anything I say .....

Comment

Thanks for the help guys and thanks for the link JSFAB. I appreciate it.
                        Dynasty 200dx
                        Various angle grinders

Comment

For future reference, Miller publishes just about every owner manual (I think back to 1980 or so) on their website.

See: http://www.millerwelds.com/service/ownersmanuals.php

Or follow the link under "Resources" => "Owners Manual and Parts List"
                          Con Fuse!
                          Miller Dynasty 350
                          Millermatic 350P
                          -Spoolmatic 30A

Hypertherm PowerMax 1000G3
                          Miller Multimatic 200 - awesome portable MIG (and stick and TIG)
                          Miller Maxstar 200DX - portable TIG and stick

Comment

Ya, i had to print my dynasty manual off from there as well. I was completely looking in the wrong place in this case, i thought this was a problem with my welder, never thought about it being my hood. (Me=newb)
                            Dynasty 200dx
                            Various angle grinders

Comment

Interesting about auto-magic hoods, there are those that use power to go dark, and those that use power to go light shade.

At least with the latter you can still weld with the default dark shade if the batteries run out/fail.

I think this was really only an issue with older auto hoods though.

My bet is also that your hood is the issue...
                              "If you build it, they will come!"

Comment

Working...
                              X