No announcement yet.

Welding Aluminum With a Spoolgun

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have an AutoArc Pro 230 which is a rebadged Miller 210, with a 3035 spoolgun. I can get decent spoolgun welds, up to 1/2" thick(with preheat). The spoolgun is a different animal than regular Mig. Stickout, angle, and push come immediately to mind. Just keep practicing. The equipment IS capable.
    AutoArc 230 (MM 210)
    3035 spoolgun
    Spectrum 625
    Dialarc HF w/Coolmate 4

Comment

Originally posted by Daniel View Post
      What's the polarity you're using?
      That's what I was thinking.
      Nothing welded, Nothing gained

Miller Dynasty700DX
      3 ea. Miller Dynasty350DX
      Miller Dynasty200DX
      ThermalArc 400 GTSW
      MillerMatic350P
      MillerMatic200 with spoolgun
      MKCobraMig260
      Lincoln SP-170T
      Linde UCC305 (sold 2011)
      Hypertherm 1250
      Hypertherm 800
      PlasmaCam CNC cutter
      Fadal Toolroom CNC Mill
      SiberHegner CNC Mill
      2 ea. Bridgeport
      LeBlond 15" Lathe
      Haberle 18" Cold Saw
      Doringer 14" Cold Saw
      6 foot x 12 foot Mojave granite

Comment

It's hooked up per the owners manual , positive lead to postive terminal on the welder, gas line on the barb fitting and the plug that goes to the recepticle on the front of the machine. No where in the manual did I see anything different for aluminum, stainless or steel. If I have missed something please point out where it is.

Comment

Originally posted by justinp61 View Post
          It's hooked up per the owners manual , positive lead to postive terminal on the welder, gas line on the barb fitting and the plug that goes to the recepticle on the front of the machine. No where in the manual did I see anything different for aluminum, stainless or steel. If I have missed something please point out where it is.
          Nope thats the right way for your hookup. It should be proper for alum, steel or stainless with the spoolgun. One other thing to check is the hose that goes on the barb make sure it isn't blocked by a chunk of the inside rubber of the hose. Mine was once and i was having a fit. Also make sure part of the paper label isn't folded inside the 5/8" hole of your spool that was another problem for me when i first got mine it was making enough drag my welds sucked too...Bob
          Bob Wright

Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
          http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Comment

I removed the covers and checked the lines in the welder, they were fine. You can hear and feel gas coming out o fthe nozzle, I'll take the gun apart and look at it.

Comment

Justin, My four year old Millermatic 175 will spray (.035" 4043, 25-30cfm Argon, reverse polarity) just fine, and your machine will put out even more voltage. I set the voltage near the top of the scale, and the wirespeed at a little over halfway, as a starting point.

Comment

It's fixed! I had made up my mind that this spool just wouldn't weld aluminum. This afternoon after jury duty I was plinking around on the computer and checked this post, it dawned on me that I should call Miller. So I called and talked with one of the techs, he asked a lot of questions about set up, wire, gas, and prep. Finally he put me on hold for a few moments, when he came back he said he had spoke to one of the engineers and showed him the photos I had posted. They said it looked like a gas flow problem. I reassured him I had plenty of gas flow, 37 cfm and that I could hear and feel it coming from the nozzle. He had more questions, had I checked the hoses? Yes. Was i sure about my gas? Yes, I tried two bottles, same outcome. Had I checked the diffuser? No, what diffuser? After he told me where its at I went to the shop and looked. There was some splatter in there but it didn't look plugged so I took the hose off the gun and blew through it with compressed air, some air came out but not like it should. So I took some small drill bits and started cleaning, finally working my way up to the size of the holes. As I would clean I would blow the crud out. I hooked the back up and turned the machine on to check if there was any difference. Wow, big difference. So I cleaned my base metal with a brush, put on my hood and gave it a shot, sure enough it looked great!

It just re-enforces for me, KISS, KEEP IT SIMPLE STUPID. I just knew it was my machine or the spool gun, nope just the dumb a$$ pulling the trigger.

Thanks for all the replys and thanks to Miller for the great tech support!
                Last edited by justinp61; 10-11-2010, 02:53 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X