No announcement yet.

Can't weld Alum.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had the Synchro 180; traded it for a TA-185 Arcmaster, but that's another story. I never could get a consistent weld on Al with the 180. The closest I ever came was when I contacted Miller support, and they recommended using a sharpened Ceriated tungsten with the end truncated to about 1/3 the diameter, when welding Al, instead of the pure tungsten. You get a more concentrated arc without the ball on the end, and less arc-wander. The 180 I had was plagued with intermittent HF problems, which is why I finally traded it in. I don't do a lot of AL, but when I light off the 185, it is very consistent and predictable, and also more flexible, because of the features it has.

Comment

First somebody refers to their gas flow setting in PSI, then somebody tries to correct the guy with CFM.....

too funny

Comment

is it posible that it would be the high freq. is giving it problems. I have heard that this is a problem part for these machines. if so how do i know or what is the best way to fix this problem?

Comment

I'm going from memory here, but I believe the recommended gap setting for the points was ~.012" and I ended up down at .006" and got a more consistent high-freq. start in DC, and better performance in AC. They are reasonably easy to adjust, so you can try different settings and see how it effects the start in DC and the performance in AC.

Comment

Originally posted by SundownIII View Post
            Although I've been tig welding with Syncrowaves since 1977, most of them have been the 250's, 300's, and 350's. I've never welded with a Sync without balance control.
            Yeah SundownIII, the early 180SDs (as with the OPs) didn't but the later ones (such as mine) do.
            MM200 w/spot controller and Spoolmatic 1
            Syncrowave 180 SD
            Bobcat 225G Plus LPG/NG w/14-pin*
            *Homemade Suitcase Wire Feeder
            *HF-251D-1
            *WC-1S & Spoolmatic 1
            PakMaster 100XL
            Marquette "Star Jet" 21-110
            http://www.millerwelds.com/images/sm...rolleyes.png?2

Comment

Originally posted by GTA/SPEC View Post
              First somebody refers to their gas flow setting in PSI, then somebody tries to correct the guy with CFM.....

too funny
              No doubt the CFM reference is incorrect however, some flow meters use a fixed control orifice and are set according to PSI. "X" PSI (actually delta P) across a "Y" diameter orifice = "Z" flow (typically in CFH of course).
              MM200 w/spot controller and Spoolmatic 1
              Syncrowave 180 SD
              Bobcat 225G Plus LPG/NG w/14-pin*
              *Homemade Suitcase Wire Feeder
              *HF-251D-1
              *WC-1S & Spoolmatic 1
              PakMaster 100XL
              Marquette "Star Jet" 21-110
              http://www.millerwelds.com/images/sm...rolleyes.png?2

Comment

Originally posted by duaneb55 View Post
                No doubt the CFM reference is incorrect however, some flow meters use a fixed control orifice and are set according to PSI. "X" PSI (actually delta P) across a "Y" diameter orifice = "Z" flow (typically in CFH of course).
                Oops. Sometimes I get mixed up talking carbs. or welding. Meant CFH. But you really could figure CFM to CFH though.
                T.J.
                Miller Dynasty 300DX
                HTP MIG 240
                HTP 380 Plasma

Bridgeport Milling Machine
                South Bend Lathe
                Etc. Etc....
                tjsperformance.com

Comment

Originally posted by duaneb55 View Post
                  Well, I'm guessing its worse than that. Rather than measuring delta P, they seem to measure source pressure and reference it against outside pressure. So if you have a clogged nozzle (or the contactor is open and no gas is actually flowing) you will get erroneous readings.
                  Con Fuse!
                  Miller Dynasty 350
                  Millermatic 350P
                  -Spoolmatic 30A

Hypertherm PowerMax 1000G3
                  Miller Multimatic 200 - awesome portable MIG (and stick and TIG)
                  Miller Maxstar 200DX - portable TIG and stick

Comment

Working...
                  X