No announcement yet.

Small Wire Roll for Cricket XL

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Small Wire Roll for Cricket XL

I have a Cricket XL, and I would like to have the option to run 2 lb , However as best I can tell this is ,,was not an option with these welders( only 10 lb rolls)
    Does anyone have an Idea how to convert it to use 2 lb rolls also

Hey Dave,
    I have a Miller Sidekick that is the same as the Cricket. I couldn't find an adapter for mine also, so I made this mod using some tubing, washers, spring, & locking nut. I had to use an inner tube & outer tube to be sure the spool did not wobble on the spool shaft. I had to cut the length of the tube so it was just inside the outer wall of the 2# spool so the outer washers could put drag pressure on the spool. I could have also lathe turned/drilled a piece of aluminum to use, but I had these tubes & they fit nicely. You need a fairly strong spring to add pressure, although nothing extreme. Hope thiis may give you some ideas.

Attached Files
    * Complete welding, machine, & fab shop *
    * Mobile unit *
    * Finally retired *

* A man's word is his honor..... without honor, there is nothing. *
    * Words are like bullets..... once they leave your muzzle, you cannot get them back. *
    * I have no reservation to kill nor hesitation to die for the U.S. Constitution & the American Flag. *
    * Age is a state of mind..... at my age, you cannot fathom what is in my mind. *

You can make your own adapter like Denny did or you can order a set of small bushings to adapt the 4" spools. The part number is 135615 (this is a set of 2).
      Kevin Schuh
      Service Technician
      Miller Electric Mfg. Co.

Thank both of you for your ideas...I think I will order the bushings,,,but I will also make the adapter