Anyone running a Big Blue Pipepro 350

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone running a Big Blue Pipepro 350

Anyone have some considerable time behind one of these new machines yet? I did a search and came up with nothing, so stop me if this topic has been covered already. If you're running one, how does it handle 6010? Looks like an interesting machine, I hope its proves to be more reliable than some of its predecessors.
    hre

not quite

Hey Coalsmoke, I don't have the P.P.350 but I have used my XMT350MPa welding pipe with 6010 & Hippy. It welds very nice and would recommend it. I used it to test for Columbia Gas which involves lots of slicing and dicing of the test coupons without any problems. Have passed X-rays with it. I set the arc force on 60.
    And in case you were woundering I powered it off of my Vantage 400- Ted

Comment

Hi TRC, so then is the BBPP350 driving a XMT350 inverter? I was wondering what they decided to put in this new machine for its guts.
      hre

Comment

New Products

Coalsmoke, It's in the new products page here on this web site. It has a Mitsubishi engine, which I don't know anything about other than they make some big stuff.
        Good Luck,
        Bob
        Millermatic 252 w/30A
        Big Blue Air Pak
        Ellis 3000 Band Saw
        Trailblazer 302 Air Pak w/ Wireless Remote
        8-RC
        Dynasty 200 DX
        XMT 350 MPa w/S-74 MPa Plus
        Millermatic 211
        Passport Plus
        Spectrum 625 X-TREME
        Lincoln SA-200 Blue Tint Red Face '63
        2-Lincoln SA-200 Red Face '68
        SA-200 Black Face '59
        SA-200 Green Lite '84
        SA-200 Green Lite '80
        SA-200 Red Face '69
        SA-200 Red Face '66
        SA-200 Green Lite '81
        '70 Black Face Round Barrel

Comment

bigblue pipepro 350

I guess i was kinda wondering the same thing as Coalsmoke.... Is this an inverter or inverter technology based machine? The specs seem to quantify this as similar to the Big blue pro 300 , Which is an alternator type rectifier machine? Or is this simply more of an XMT 350 paired to a diesel engine after the style of the Pipe pro 304? I only skimmed over the specs and was curious myself. It is a low speed machine 1800 RPm similar to pipe liner 200 or 300D?
          I have a welding addiction

...the only stupid question is the one you didn't ask

Comment

If

I guess the only thing I can say is if it is based on the 350 inverterit works OK with 6010/7010-Ted

Comment

Im happy that miller has been making machines that are more pipe friendly. And the new 350 pipepro looks like a winner, and i really want to run one.
              sigpic2007 dodge 3500 cummins

Comment

I haven't heard anything about this new machine, thanks for bringing it to my attention, it looks like it was added to the products page in September.
                I'm also interested to know if it is inverter based (it does have the infinite arc control like the Pipe Pro 304 and only two cable studs) or transformer based (it talks about "The vault" like the Pro 300).
                My guess is it is inverter based.
                It's AC power while welding is considerably better than the Pro 300 and it is also ahead of the Pipe Pro 304.
                With the list price on the 304 and 350 being identical I think it's safe to say the 304's days are numbered. The 350 looks like the machine we've been telling Miller that they need to bring out. It will be interesting to see how they compare to the Vantage's.
                at home:
                2012 325 Trailblazer EFI with Excel power
                2007 302 Trailblazer with the Robin SOLD
                2008 Suitcase 12RC
                Spoolmatic 30A
                WC-24
                2009 Dynasty 200DX
                2000 XMT 304
                2008 Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52
                Sold:MM130XP
                Sold:MM 251
                Sold:CST 280

at work:
                Invision 350MP
                Dynasty 350
                Millermatic 350P
                Retired:Shopmaster 300 with a HF-251

Comment

No it not an inverter, sort of a hybrid, and if I didn't know any better, the Miller system looks to me as reverse engineered Lincoln chopper technology.

Comment

new technology engine drive

Originally posted by cruizer View Post
                    No it not an inverter, sort of a hybrid, and if I didn't know any better, the Miller system looks to me as reverse engineered Lincoln chopper technology.
                    Hello cruizer, I was wondering about exactly what you seem to have come up with, are there advantages or in the engine drive case disadvantages to having the chopper style technology, Is this all done electronically in circuit boards or through some other means? In terms of repair aspects would this be an easier machine to service compared to an inverter if the electronics went wonky? I also wondered how Miller could essentially use the technology if it is under patent protection from Lincoln?
                    I have a welding addiction

...the only stupid question is the one you didn't ask

Comment

Just like the Lincoln, the Miller version is taking the rectified arc one step further and chopping that arc into a smooth waveform through a set of IGBT modules. Of course they are not calling it a chopper per say and of course the machine is not a 300 or 400, its a 350 which has actually when you think about it the same general output as a Vantage 400. We'll have to see the end pricing.

Miller is doing the chopper in virtually the same way with a few modifications netting the same result as a Lincoln. I haven't read the theory as Miller hasn't posted a tech manual, but I'll bet that it comes close to the posted Lincoln version.

As for the automatic remote detect, Lincoln has had that for the last 10 years plus on everything less the Classics.

Patents do expire, I wonder if this was the case.

An other point is the Miller open circuit voltage is way higher than Lincoln which sits at 60 VDC, (as do most of the circuit board controlled Millers) this Pipe pro is 85VDC, Unsure why Miller made it this way as heavy purchasers like the mining and gas industry want the OCV as low as possible.
                      Last edited by cruizer; 09-20-2010, 01:00 PM.

Comment

Not down playing the Miller side of things as I repair Millers Lincolns and several other firms. You tend to get simularities like the Lincoln copying the Miller in Pipemode now where the remote tracks the local control, never liked that function in case there was a problem with the remote and the arc suddenly went to where ever the local is set to.

And the "Vault" compared to the potted board. Really the same thing. The vault is simply an aluminum box enclosing the board with an o-ring seal and naturally a little harder to trouble shoot than the regular potted or open version. both are designed to keep water out, plain and simple.

Comment

Originally posted by sturugged View Post
                          Hello cruizer, I was wondering about exactly what you seem to have come up with, are there advantages or in the engine drive case disadvantages to having the chopper style technology, Is this all done electronically in circuit boards or through some other means? In terms of repair aspects would this be an easier machine to service compared to an inverter if the electronics went wonky? I also wondered how Miller could essentially use the technology if it is under patent protection from Lincoln?
                          Again both have thier quirks, your always going to have problems no matter what you run. for maintainability by the end user, go back to a Big20/30/40 or an SA200, these are pretty much the only machines that can be easily repaired with simple direction.

Comment

Originally posted by cruizer View Post
                            for maintainability by the end user, go back to a SA200, these are pretty much the only machines that can be easily repaired with simple direction.
                            Amen!!!!!!!!!!
                            Caution!
                            These are "my" views based only on “my” experiences in “my” little bitty world.

Comment

The engines are pretty much the same in all lines, I'm pretty sure if the Mitsubishi pans out, it'll be in a Lincoln in a year or so just like Lincolns water cooled duetz in the Pro300

Comment

Working...
                              X