Miller vs Hypertherm plasma cutters?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Miller vs Hypertherm plasma cutters?

I am new to this site and wanted to get some opinions before I bought my new plasma.
    I recently borrowed a PowerMax 30 and so I decided I need a Plasma for myself. It worked well on 1/4" steel, but I had to take my time, it would have been nice to move a little faster.

I am comparing the:

Powermax 30 $1489.00 and the Spectrum 375 X-treme $1249.00. Which is the way to go? I've heard several times that hypertherm makes Millers Plasma's? But, most reveiws I read seem to lean towards hypertherm. If they are both made by hypertherm how is the miller less of a machine?

If I end up going with the PowerMax 30 I Might as well pay the extra $200 and get the PowerMax 45 for $1699.

The Spectrum 625 X-treme is $1686 and seems comparable to the 45.

Decisions, decisions... Anyone have any words of wisdom out of the 4 plasmas I talked about?

P.S. Prices are CDN.

Don't go by list price, look at the actual retail prices. I am also looking for a small plasma. I have found the Powermax 30 for as low as $1035 delivered. Some brands have more markup than others. Not sure what the street price for the Spectrum 375 is.

Ken

Comment

To set the record straight....

Miller has build plasma powersources for Hypertherm in the past. This does not happen currently.

Hypertherm build torches for Miller.

I like Hypertherms product just as I like Millers. I would buy which ever is cheaper. ( consider both the sale price and the consumable prices)

Comment

The Hypertherm has the latest torch design. I would not have any problem owning the power supply from either one of those machines. The latest torch design looks to be a nice improvement.

Comment

I have a larger Hypertherm a 1250, nothing but High praise for this machine. The consumable are less expensive than the millers. They look similar but are not interchangable, this was the reason I opted for the Hypertherm.
          Peace,
          Paul

Comment

Also have a Hypertherm 1250. I buy the Finecut consumables for it, which are beyond compare. I use this cutter in my PlasmaCam table.

The Powermax 30 is built around their FineCut Technology.

The Powermax 45 is probably the best cutter ever built.

Just my opinion.
            Nothing welded, Nothing gained

Miller Dynasty700DX
            3 ea. Miller Dynasty350DX
            Miller Dynasty200DX
            ThermalArc 400 GTSW
            MillerMatic350P
            MillerMatic200 with spoolgun
            MKCobraMig260
            Lincoln SP-170T
            Linde UCC305 (sold 2011)
            Hypertherm 1250
            Hypertherm 800
            PlasmaCam CNC cutter
            Fadal Toolroom CNC Mill
            SiberHegner CNC Mill
            2 ea. Bridgeport
            LeBlond 15" Lathe
            Haberle 18" Cold Saw
            Doringer 14" Cold Saw
            6 foot x 12 foot Mojave granite

Comment

Buy the largest cutter you can afford buy the next one up even if you have to save longer. I have a hyperthrem 600. Also make sure that you have the compressor that will handle the out put when slicing up a full sheet.

Most people buy to small a unit and then complain as they push the max severance cut and then complain about consumables and cut quality.

The other thing is find out which consumables are cheaper and which ones are all ways available locally. As it is a PIA to be waiting on a on line source to deliver some because you forgot to order them before you run out.

Either brand machine you will be happy with.
              glen, If your not on the edge, your wasting space

Comment

I have a PM 1000 G3 with machine torch on a plasma table and in my humble opinion the hyperterm is the best value in Plasma Cutter technology. I had a little Hobart Airforce 250A prior to that and it was a toy compared to the PM 1000. I understand the PM 1000 is being replaced soon, but the comparable model that will replace it will even be an improvement, not that it needed any to begin with. So if I ever need another plasma cutter it definately will be a hypertherm due to there investment in current tech and constant product improvement strategies. I looked at ESAB, Hobart, Thermal Dynamics, Miller and all the others and Amp for Amo the Hyperterm offered the least cost per cut and most readily available consumables. At 60 amps that machine is a beast for a 4x4 plasma table, and I frequently run it at reduced amperage and use fine cut consumables to stretch the life of the machine and consumables. Hope this helps.
                Bob

Comment

jim colt from ht is on alot of sites so support is awsome

Comment

Most places have the Thermal one torch consumables in stock. All the consumables parts are mostly the same from machine to machine. They are the original finecut consumables.

Comment

Thanks for all the input everyone! I'm sold on the Powermax 45 and am buying it tomorrow! And I am going to pick up a miller 211 as well!

Comment

keep this in your mind. If the warranty shop finds non hypertherm consumables in your torch it may void your torch warranty. we are asked this question on all their warranty forms. Plus I think you will find the hypertherm consumables last longer than the after market copy's. Add water and oil filters to your air supply to the plasma and your tips will last a lot longer.
                        Glenn 300 amp stick
                        Millermatic 35
                        L-tec plasma

Comment

Originally posted by ccawgc View Post
                          keep this in your mind. If the warranty shop finds non hypertherm consumables in your torch it may void your torch warranty. we are asked this question on all their warranty forms. Plus I think you will find the hypertherm consumables last longer than the after market copy's. Add water and oil filters to your air supply to the plasma and your tips will last a lot longer.
                          I've herd of water seperators, but what are oil filters in air lines?

Comment

You do not want oil in the air line for a plasma cutter. There are inline oilers for air tools, do NOT use one for a plasma cutter.
                            Going to our Hypertherm 1650 (CNC plasma table) we have a water separator and a dessicant dryer at the wall then a motorguard "toilet paper" filter and another water separator at the plasma. You want clean DRY air for plasma. Moisture will shorten your consumable life and affect your cut quality.
                            Can't guarantee it, but I think this was kinda what ccawgc was getting at.
                            BTW, congrats on the Powermax 45, have heard alot of good things on them and the MM211 as well. Show us some of the fun toys...I mean work you do with it.

Comment

Working...
                            X