Miller 350P Help

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Miller 350P Help

I have a 350 P that I got from a friend when he did a demolition of a building in houston after hurricane Ike. The welder was completely submerged in flood water. I have been working on it periodically, and it does power up, but won't feed wire. Does it need gas hooked up before it will feed wire? I think it may have a messed up circuit board or something. At one point I could scroll through the different settings, but now it wont. Not sure I want to spend any more money on it. What would be a fair asking price on something like this? The welder cosmetically looks in great condition. Has new liner, nozzle, and relay. Have spent about 125.00 on it. Thanks for any input.

Normally something electronic, complete submerged in water will still be O.K. as long as its not turned on.

I would carefully disassemble the entire thing and clean or even soak the circuit boards in alcohol. Every connector would be cleaned with contact cleaner. Wires would at least be wiped down.

As for your front panel. There is a possibility that there is just contamination in there, or maybe as simple as a connector being corroded. I would do the soak thing again, being careful not to get too much on the actual front so that the alcohol doesn't take out the writing on the face.

Alcohol seems to be a relatively mild solvent and when it evaporates it leaves nothing behind. There are some citrus based cleaners that can also be used on circuit boards, they used them to clean off flux - citrus so they are bio-degradable. I would still make a final pass with alcohol.

Once everything is clean - and looking back like new, then and only then would I start to evaluate if its actually working properly.
    Con Fuse!
    Miller Dynasty 350
    Millermatic 350P
    -Spoolmatic 30A

Hypertherm PowerMax 1000G3
    Miller Multimatic 200 - awesome portable MIG (and stick and TIG)
    Miller Maxstar 200DX - portable TIG and stick

Comment

Also check the motor brushes if you can. Brushes on a dc motor will swell and stick.
      after you clean up the welder and free the brushes you can power the welder.
      you can get a Alcohol based switch cleaner that can be used on the front panel pcb switches. most of these welders can be brought back to life. although miller wants them scraped.
      Glenn 300 amp stick
      Millermatic 35
      L-tec plasma

Comment

If you are again able to scroll, your going to have to do a system reset.

Contact clean all the molex connectors, then apply a quality dielectric compound to these connections.

Soaking the boards in alcohol, hmmm, probably not the best solution, as you'll remove the protective conformal insulating coating.

Now, if you are able to scroll, everything looks ok, your going to have to give that motor a manual kick start, as there is likely corrosion in it.

Can't spell worth s..t.
        Last edited by cruizer; 07-13-2010, 11:15 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Monster View Post
          What would be a fair asking price on something like this?
          i will give you 125 bucks for it... recoup your costs and then you could walk away from it. i'll worry about freight/ delivery....
          welder_one

nothing fancy, just a few hot glue guns for metal
          www.sicfabrications.com

Comment

Originally posted by cruizer View Post

Soaking the boards in alcohol, hmmm, probably not the best solution, as you'll remove the protective conformal insulating coating.
            When companies manufacture circuit boards, in addition to the circuit layers, they add things like labels and a solder mask. The ink they use to print on the circuit board may come off with alcohol. It also may not. You can test a small area. The solder mask (in the past typically green in color) is more or less an optional top coat that aids in the manufacture. Electrically and thermally it does nothing.

Most mass produced circuit boards are soldered with flux. Either flux in the solder inself, or added separately. Either way, the flux really detracts from the looks and in high voltage situations can actually act as a short (I know flux inclusion has caused failures at 500V at least on cables/connectors). The flux is typically washed off with alcohol. You'll find alcohol pots with little 'acid' brushes for this.

I don't think its necessary to soak the board for hours, just make a pass to get any crud that is on the board off. I know there are citrus based alternatives that might be milder.

The alcohol will displace/remove any water and when it evaporates will leave no residue.

If you are concerned test a small area first.

Back in the day when we/I built circuit boards (aerospace company) everything was epoxy this, or epoxy that. A little solvent wasn't going to do anything. Besides adding lead, who knows what the Chinese are building these things out of.
            Con Fuse!
            Miller Dynasty 350
            Millermatic 350P
            -Spoolmatic 30A

Hypertherm PowerMax 1000G3
            Miller Multimatic 200 - awesome portable MIG (and stick and TIG)
            Miller Maxstar 200DX - portable TIG and stick

Comment

Working...
            X