No announcement yet.

Making a mobile unit...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bartman, as you know I read your first thread.
    Looks like you have a pretty good plan.
    Forgive me if you have already covered this but i was curious if you are welding full time for yourself now or do you have a J.O.B.?
    I go to many marinas besides having a small 24x40 shop of my own.
    I keep several power tools,cords, leads, hoses and a 200Dynasty in my GMC Safari, and only what can be rained on (My Bobcat) on the trailer. That way I don't need to drag that heavy ******* everywhere I go like a ball and chain.
    I could literally hitchhike and do 90% of the jobs you are looking to do if I took one small bottle of argon with me and 1 grinder and a small bag of tools.
    75% of what I keep in my van is luxury and not basic.
    I posted pics on the trailer thread of mine awhile back.
    I am out of time now, may post pics later.

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
    Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
    MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
    Miller Dynasty 280 with AC independent expansion card
    Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
    Miller 30-A Spoolgun
    Miller WC-115-A
    Miller Spectrum 300
    Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
    Miller Digital Elite Titanium 9400

Comment

You're going to have to formulate a good plan for ventilation if you intend to run that Trailblazer inside the enclosed trailer. It is going to get HOT and LOUD inside there. You would be better off with an open utility trailer and mount job site tool boxes to it to keep your tools, leads, cords and acc'y equipment dry and secure.
      Millermatic350P/Python, MillermaticReach/Q300
      Millermatic175
      MillermaticPassport/Q300
      HTP MIG200
      PowCon 300SM, MK Cobramatic
      ThermalArc 185ACDC, Dynaflux Tig'r, CK-20
      DialarcHF, Radiator-1
      Hypertherm PowerMax 380
      Purox oxy/ace
      Jackson EQC
      -F350 CrewCab 4x4
      -LoadNGo utility bed
      -Bobcat 250NT
      -PassportPlus/Q300
      -XMT304/Optima/Spoolmatic15A
      -Suitcase8RC/Q400
      -Suitcase12RC/Q300
      -Smith oxy/propane
      -Jackson EQC

Comment

I have thought about an open trailer, but as it is now it is in the back of an enclosed truck and the guy cut a hole in the floor and ran the exhaust pipe straight out under the truck.....yes I said straight under the truck!!!! I personally would have spent 20.00 and had someone make me a pipe with a 90 degree bend in it to vent the fumes out the side of the truck. I can tell you after about 10 minutes, you don't want to be in the truck welding, you would be over come by the carbon monoxide.

I forgot to mention in my previous posts that I grew up at my father service station and wrecker service (started there at 10yr old and made .50/hr) I am nearly 45 now so that was a long time ago, we bent exhaust pipe and fabricated things to make things work using nothing. We worked on everything from Corvettes to Dune Buggies (my dad is still the local VW king) so I learned a lot about many different things and I had to braze or stick weld until he bought a cheap 110 MIG unit for exhaust work. It was nice having a Bridgeport, lathe and all of the good tools when I worked in the tool trade. I can repair about anything on a boat I/O or outboard. I built my own 600hp+ race engines for racing dirt track and repaired any structural damage to the chassis, etc. I also have a friend that owns a used auto dealership that has me do some welding for him from time to time on little things and large things. I also have friends that race that don't know how to weld or have the equipment and help them out when I can. I have a pretty well rounded clientele and never have really advertised anything. I grew up with one of the owners of my local miller dealer and they have people wanting them to weld stuff all the time, he told me he would send every one of them my way if I wanted him to as well. I live in a small town and know everyone and everyone in the surrounding 2-3 towns as well. My uncle used to do a ton of portable welding a pipe thawing in the winter years ago, but he is old and crippled up now. I was going to have a talk with him as well about how he did things. I do recall back in the 90's that my uncle charged 25.00 to turn the welder on and for the first half hour and 35.00/hr after that. I wouldn't even know where to begin with pricing.

Like I said, I can stick weld, I just haven't done much of it in years as for 20 years I used the TIG process at work and found it the best to use at home as well. I am going to get up to snuff on my stick welding and plan on taking some courses at the local college as I know the instructor and am a part time professor there myself.

This is not a big business deal for me, but I want to be able to use the equipment and have it set-up and ready to go at a moments notice. I tend to draw prints of what I want to do and work my way into things with thought and pre-thinking process. I just like my stuff to look professional and to be easy to use. The way it is set up now, I would hate to use it anywhere as it is kind of cumbersome to say the least. I am sure the guy did the best he could, but it is not up to my standards. I want it easy to use and to have everything readily available. I would like all of my cable on retractable reels along with my air hose and torch hose. I want all of my rod sorted out and put into tubes so it is dry and not oxidized when I try to use it. I think you get the picture. I like things neat and organized.

yorkiepap you have a nice neat set-up kudos, I would work with you any time. I just want it as easy to use as possible. Remember this thing has spent all of its life covered and not in the elements (460hrs) it will remain most likely for the rest of its life inside. However, if I want to move it or use it in a mobile situation, I want to be able to load it quickly and be on my way. An open trailer would not be bad as I would just unload it when I was done and stow it in the pole barn.

Also on the ventilation, I still have a buddy that owns a Maxi-Muffler place and was going to have him make me a straight pipe that would go out the roof of the trailer. I am not so concerned as I don't plan on working in the trailer, but I don't want the carbon monoxide inside there in case I need a tool or something. I am just at the start of this and will keep everyone updated as I make progress to let you know what I end up doing. (I have a great line on a 6 x 10 trailer for 1200.00 with a side door and double rear doors. My buddy called me today with that deal. He may take my truck in trade for it even up. That would be a bonus for me...lol!
        Last edited by BaRtMaN; 06-08-2010, 11:26 PM.

Comment

Since the show is going on a trailer, I don't really get the point of the skid. I would just mount everything on the trailer and leave it there, no loading and unloading and save some room with only one thing to store instead of two.
          Millermatic350P/Python, MillermaticReach/Q300
          Millermatic175
          MillermaticPassport/Q300
          HTP MIG200
          PowCon 300SM, MK Cobramatic
          ThermalArc 185ACDC, Dynaflux Tig'r, CK-20
          DialarcHF, Radiator-1
          Hypertherm PowerMax 380
          Purox oxy/ace
          Jackson EQC
          -F350 CrewCab 4x4
          -LoadNGo utility bed
          -Bobcat 250NT
          -PassportPlus/Q300
          -XMT304/Optima/Spoolmatic15A
          -Suitcase8RC/Q400
          -Suitcase12RC/Q300
          -Smith oxy/propane
          -Jackson EQC

Comment

If I used an enclosed trailer, I want to be able to use it for things like hauling my goose decoys and quad during hunting season or to move things around with. I just didn't want to dedicate it to one purpose. If everything is mounted on a skid it is easy in and easy out of the trailer.

Comment

The skid-in-trailer is a neat idea. Everything that can be mobile should be mobile, and you have the background to make a badazz setup.

Comment

Working...
              X