Making a mobile unit...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Making a mobile unit...

Thank you for the kind welcome. I bought the truck not running and it now runs and drives, stops, etc. all lights work on it as well as everything else. The bottoms of the cabinets on the side are rusted out, but I am going to replace them and I have one hole about 6" dia in the floor in the cab that I am going to fix. A good cleaning and this thing is going on Craigslist for sale. However, it contains all of the welding gear. I didn't really want the truck, but it came with the deal.

Here is my plan, I will keep this gear stored in my buddies heated pole building and I want to mount it on a steel pallet and organize it and compact it into a nice small area with a small air compressor and a small bench grinder for sharpening tungsten. I want to mount retractable spools for all of my cables and oxy/acyt. lines as well as an air line. We have a fork lift at the pole barn and I want a single axle enclosed trailer (5 x10 would be perfect) to set this pallet in to for mobile use and when finished, lift it out and stow it in the barn and it can be used there as well. I have a steel pallet that is 4.5' x 7.5' already, but it has up rights and things that need to be removed, but leave one to strap my oxy/acyt. tanks to. It is also designed to be lifted from the opposite side that I need, I can change that without a problem. I just figured it would be nice to have it stored inside when not needed mobile and then I can use the trailer for other things as well. Basically trading the truck for a trailer.

I want this laid out simple and easy as heck to used (planned out) and professional looking unit.

Any ideas or comments on this guys?

As always thanks,

Bart

Are we supposed to guess what type welding equipment you plan to mount on the skid?

You ask for help/comments and give us nothing to work with.

One thing to consider with a 5' x 10' enclosed trailer (especially if single axle) is your center of gravity. Are your forks long enough to place the skid properly or will it need to be slid in/slid out.
    Syncrowave 250 DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200 DX
    Miller XMT 304 w/714D Feeder & Optima Control
    Miller MM 251 w/Q300 & 30A SG
    Hobart HH187
    Dialarc 250 AC/DC
    Hypertherm PM 600 & 1250
    Wilton 7"x12" bandsaw
    PC Dry Cut Saw, Dewalt Chop Saw
    Milwaukee 8" Metal Cut Saw, Milwaukee Portaband.
    Thermco and Smith (2) Gas Mixers
    More grinders than hands

Comment

Sorry, I had the info in another post, but copy and pasted info and that must not have copied.

Miller Trailblazer 251 NT, HF box, Coolmate 3, 100' of + and - cable, 30A spool gun and everything for TIG. Also a set of medium sized torch tanks and 100' of hose for that as well. I have enough equipment to weld (stick, MIG, or TIG) 100' from the unit. I want a small air compressor with 100' of hose and I have a bench grinder for grinding tungsten. I also plan on using PVC tube to store TIG rod in as I normally glue one cap on and leave the other one so you can twit it and pull it off for easy access to the rod. I don't stick weld much, but can (I need to practice as I don't do it enough) I mainly TIG weld aluminum and tool steel (that is what I have done for years) as I was a tool and die maker for 20 years. It would be nice to have a plaz too, but not right now...lol I have enough.

The lift truck will load 3500lbs and forks are long enough to get things about anywhere. I would even go 5 x 8 trailer if I can find one for a good price. I just don't need a vehicle that I have to insure, do maintenance, register, etc. A trailer you buy a one time plate for 85.00 and pack wheel bearings and mount new tires when needed. I just makes sense to use the trailer to me.

Comment

FYI -- it is very esy to overload a single axle trailer with welding equipment, tools, etc. I suggest you weigh it all before you spend time setting it all up.
        MM250
        Trailblazer 250g
        22a feeder
        Lincoln ac/dc 225
        Victor O/A
        MM200 black face
        Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
        Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
        Arco roto-phase model M
        Vectrax 7x12 band saw
        Miller spectrum 875
        30a spoolgun w/wc-24
        Syncrowave 250
        RCCS-14

Comment

The welder and the rest of the equipment is around 1500 lbs that does not include an air compressor (don't have it yet) or the bench grinder and that is a small unit. 3 medium sized tank, the cool mate, the HF box, the rod, and the welder are the big weight items. I have not weighed the pallet ye, but I thin that is going to be heavy and would estimate 1000lbs so figure 2500lbs total roughly.

I may want a double axle trailer and not a single axle, it would balance much easier.

Comment

Single axle trailer with a 5000-lb axle with brakes would be fine. Tandem axle trailer with a pair of 3500-lb axles with brakes on at least one axle would be better.
            Millermatic350P/Python, MillermaticReach/Q300
            Millermatic175
            MillermaticPassport/Q300
            HTP MIG200
            PowCon 300SM, MK Cobramatic
            ThermalArc 185ACDC, Dynaflux Tig'r, CK-20
            DialarcHF, Radiator-1
            Hypertherm PowerMax 380
            Purox oxy/ace
            Jackson EQC
            -F350 CrewCab 4x4
            -LoadNGo utility bed
            -Bobcat 250NT
            -PassportPlus/Q300
            -XMT304/Optima/Spoolmatic15A
            -Suitcase8RC/Q400
            -Suitcase12RC/Q300
            -Smith oxy/propane
            -Jackson EQC

Comment

Watch the weight ..... it's very insidious,,,,,, by the time you add this on, and that, "it's only another 50 pounds" ,,,, it starts adding up. Then, you want to throw some extra tools on for a certain job, or a little steel, all of a sudden you might be overweight. Last welding rig I ran,,, was a class 7/8 truck, 32,000 GVWR, air brakes, double frame, the whole works, normally only loaded to 25,000 pounds, but plenty of extra capacity for whatever came up. Specifically for this reason, only takes me five minutes to put another 5000 pounds on.
              Obviously, I'm just a hack-artist, you shouldn't be listening to anything I say .....

Comment

Your skid alone seems overheavy,,,,,, I built a skid, out of aluminum, I can pick the whole skid up by myself, nothing on it of course, not straining anything.

Also, remember, most forklifts are rated for the weight to be centered 2' from the mast,,,,,, if the center of the load is 4' out,,,, lifting capacity is cut in half. By the time you get done building this huge long skid, remembering most of the weight needs to go up front,,,,,, you may find your forklift can't handle the front-end weight. May or may not be a problem, just commenting based on what you posted.
                Last edited by JSFAB; 06-07-2010, 01:34 PM.
                Obviously, I'm just a hack-artist, you shouldn't be listening to anything I say .....

Comment

Single-axle trailers are evil. I'd much rather deal with a blowout on a tandem.

When it comes to trailers that carry Expensive Stuff, overkill is good.

Comment

too much weight

A single axle 6x10 enclosed trailer weighs about 980-1075 pounds empty so you have a carrying capacity of about 2000# max. They are fine for household items or gardeners, but not for a portable shop.

Comment

BARTMAN,

Not trying to be negative, but have you put enough thought into this "business plan".

I guess, looking at the machines listed and what you said you intend to buy, I'm not sure what it is you plan to do "portable".

You say you don't stick weld.

All your leads, hoses, etc. seem to be focused on 100'.

Only "wirefeeder" I see in the equipment list is a 30A.

How much work is there in your area for tig welding aluminum outside?

If tig welding aluminum outside is your goal, there are much better setups that will do the job better than the equipment you have. A dedicated tig machine (such as a Dynasty 200 DX) will give you better results than what you're proposing.

Also, are you planning on increasing the length of the leads on the 30A? If not, you're limited to 30' from the machine.

I guess what I'm saying is that you need to look at the equipment you know you'll need to do the job before you plan a skid.

Have you tried that Trailblazer with the HF on aluminum tig?
                      Dynasty 200 DX
                      Hobart HH187
                      Dialarc 250 AC/DC
                      Hypertherm PM 600 & 1250
                      Wilton 7"x12" bandsaw
                      More grinders than hands

Comment

Hey Bart, what part of MI are you in.

I agree single axle trailer is a bad idea.

It sounds like your going to specialize in portable Tig.

Speaking for myself after being in the portable business for the last 22 years I'm lucky if I get 5 portable aluminum jobs a year.

I personally dont see a big demand for it.

I never got into the tool & Die welding so if your specialized in that area you may get more portable tig jobs than I.

I'm just a general welder that does a little of everything.

Good luck with your new business.

Comment

Originally posted by SundownIII View Post
                          BARTMAN,

Not trying to be negative, but have you put enough thought into this "business plan".

I guess, looking at the machines listed and what you said you intend to buy, I'm not sure what it is you plan to do "portable".

You say you don't stick weld.

All your leads, hoses, etc. seem to be focused on 100'.

Only "wirefeeder" I see in the equipment list is a 30A.

How much work is there in your area for tig welding aluminum outside?

If tig welding aluminum outside is your goal, there are much better setups that will do the job better than the equipment you have. A dedicated tig machine (such as a Dynasty 200 DX) will give you better results than what you're proposing.

Also, are you planning on increasing the length of the leads on the 30A? If not, you're limited to 30' from the machine.

I guess what I'm saying is that you need to look at the equipment you know you'll need to do the job before you plan a skid.

Have you tried that Trailblazer with the HF on aluminum tig?
                          No offense (negatively taken) I already own all of the equipment and have extension cable system to make 100' for the spool gun as well.

I had no intentions of buying any welding equipment as I have a garage with everything that I would ever need for myself. I have an old Airco (made by Lincoln back then) tig/stick machine 300 amp with the cooler and 75/25 tank and straight Argon tank plus a nice set of torches. BUT, this truck full of equipment kind of fell into my lap with 460 hours on it. I have more tig and stick rod than 3 guys could carry that came with it and if I tried to sell it I should be able to triple my investment. I decided to keep the equipment and get rid of the truck. I do a lot of boat welding, pontoons, canoes, boats, out drives, cases, heads, etc. All of my stuff will be stored mainly in my buddies (Marine mechanics) pole barn where he does all of his bout repairs. I would like to set this all up in the smallest area possible and make it portable or loadable onto a trailer to take and use mobile if needed. It is like free business, if you live close to a marina, by all means get in there and get some welding done for a couple of people and you will have more work than you can handle. Plus, they are boats and everything for a boat is expensive, so a cheaper fix is always welcome if it is safe and will last.

Maybe this kinda clears things up a little, I was not looking to buy, but for what I paid or it, I would have been an idiot not to buy it all.

Comment

Hey guys,
                            I have to disagree a bit with those who feel a single axel unit is inadequate. As SundownIII indicated, you gotta do some homework. First, your area needs will dictate what will generally be the majority of work you can/will get. In my area, my mobile outings(general repairs) are equipment repairs & some new home I-beam welding at the construction sites, some home railing repairs, farm equipment, & 4-6 auto restorations/yr. The landscape fellows bring their equipment to my shop. I set up my rig to be able to maintain a small footprint because of some of the locations are difficult to manuever around, especially in the housing plans. I have (2) SB trucks & my mobile unit is 5 X 8' so it is easy to get in & out easily. I like to be able to unhook & park the mobile & use my trucks for other needs. I also find my fuel usage is more efficient towing a small trailer.

I reinforced the floor of the mobile unit with (3) xtra "V" crossmembers tied into the trailer frame. My GVW is 2750 & it has a 3000 lb axel w/15" wheels. With all my equip, on the scales, I am at 2600 & that includes about 200lb of steel & alum stock. I used alum. to fabricate all the interior racking & cable support rods & even an aluminum cart to keep weight down. All my welders are small inverter units that are fairly light & low power consumption. I don't do field TIG. I have a 250A MIG spoolgun unit that does everything I need when various jobs at times in the same day have needed alum., f-c, & solid. I keep 100' of 6/3 & the 26' on the spoolgun gives me enough reach for everything I have encountered. Again, I do general repairs. I have (3) MIG units w/250A S/G, 130A sheetmetal, 120A f-c, (1) SMAW(DC) unit, (1) plasma cutter(35A), 7.5kw(8.75kw) gen., 26gal vert. comp., & (3) 80cf(AR & C25), & sm O/A unit behind the compressor.

Anyway, a decent small rig can be beneficial in many ways, especially if one is starting up a mobile service & outlay($$$) is limited. My little bugger has paid itself off many times over. Here's some pics.....

Denny
                            Attached Files
                            * Complete welding, machine, & fab shop *
                            * Mobile unit *
                            * Finally retired *

* A man's word is his honor..... without honor, there is nothing. *
                            * Words are like bullets..... once they leave your muzzle, you cannot get them back. *
                            * I have no reservation to kill nor hesitation to die for the U.S. Constitution & the American Flag. *
                            * Age is a state of mind..... at my age, you cannot fathom what is in my mind. *

Comment

BARTMAN,

OK. Now I got a better feeling about what you're doing.

If you check my posts, you'll find that the bulk of what I do is marine repair/fabrication. My shop is actually at a marina with a 50 Ton Travelift and a 30,000 lb forklift.

I use a Syncrowave 250 in the shop and my little Dynasty 200 has been a "cash cow" for portable (on the boat) repairs.
                              Dynasty 200 DX
                              Hobart HH187
                              Dialarc 250 AC/DC
                              Hypertherm PM 600 & 1250
                              Wilton 7"x12" bandsaw
                              More grinders than hands

Comment

Working...
                              X