whip question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• whip question

What is every one's take on wrapping your arm with your lead? I have developed a habbit of taking the whip and draping it over my forearm while stick welding. I drape it over my stinger arm. I don't wrap it multiple times just drape it to give myslef a little slack and take some of the extra weight of the whip, and it also give me a way to keep the whip from snagging on the test stand. i've had a few guys say its a bad practice, but it seemed more like hearsay then fact. just wondering what you guys think.
    American By Birth, Union by Choice!

4th generation Pipefitters LU 537

SpeedGlass 9000x Hood
    Miller Elite Titanium 9400 Hood

I don't typically wrap the lead from the electrode holder for stick but I usually do with the TIG torch lead as it tends to help steady my hand. At least I think so. I will however often steady a fresh/longer stick with the index finger of my free hand.
    MM200 w/spot controller and Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180 SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus LPG/NG w/14-pin*
    *Homemade Suitcase Wire Feeder
    *HF-251D-1
    *WC-1S & Spoolmatic 1
    PakMaster 100XL
    Marquette "Star Jet" 21-110
    http://www.millerwelds.com/images/sm...rolleyes.png?2

Comment

Originally posted by DamageInc537 View Post
      What is every one's take on wrapping your arm with your lead? I have developed a habbit of taking the whip and draping it over my forearm while stick welding. I drape it over my stinger arm. I don't wrap it multiple times just drape it to give myslef a little slack and take some of the extra weight of the whip, and it also give me a way to keep the whip from snagging on the test stand. i've had a few guys say its a bad practice, but it seemed more like hearsay then fact. just wondering what you guys think.
      Many times I drape the stinger cable over my shoulders, takes the weight off my right hand holding the stinger !

............ Norm
      - Arcair- K 4000 CAC.
      - LN - 25
      - Lincoln Ranger 8
      -DeWalt Compressor

www.normsmobilewelding.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by nfinch86 View Post
        Many times I drape the stinger cable over my shoulders, takes the weight off my right hand holding the stinger !

............ Norm
        Yes, I should have mentioned I do that too in either case.
        MM200 w/spot controller and Spoolmatic 1
        Syncrowave 180 SD
        Bobcat 225G Plus LPG/NG w/14-pin*
        *Homemade Suitcase Wire Feeder
        *HF-251D-1
        *WC-1S & Spoolmatic 1
        PakMaster 100XL
        Marquette "Star Jet" 21-110
        http://www.millerwelds.com/images/sm...rolleyes.png?2

Comment

me too.. one of the guys was saying that wrapping of a lead around the arm will cause tendonitis.. something to do with the electrical field and current. don't know if its true or not. just wondering if any one else has heard of it.

SpeedGlass 9000x Hood

Comment

i never heard of that, you are most likely to get tendenitis from changing rods, either the squeeze or twist,

Comment

I do it all the time. I would be more worried about my pacemaker!! (if I had one)

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
              Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
              MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
              Miller Dynasty 280 with AC independent expansion card
              Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
              Miller 30-A Spoolgun
              Miller WC-115-A
              Miller Spectrum 300
              Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
              Miller Digital Elite Titanium 9400

Comment

This is considered bad practice, but most people do it.

It keeps the weight of the cable off the end of your arm and reduces the risk of hanging up the cable in the middle of a weld, making smooth motion easier.

I think the concerns are electric shock from cracked insulation and choking or tripping yourself.

When I am doing safety on the job, I am required to tell the guys not to do it. When I am welding, I usually have the cable over my shoulder and a single drape over my arm. Some guys run it over both shoulders, which brings it around their neck. I don't recommend this, since one hangup or guy tripping on the cable could really hurt you.

Comment

I've heard you are not supposed to drape the cable over your shoulder or arm. I don't know if it's because of the field produced or just the fact that it's a lot of amps and any insulation break in the cable...well you know. For the record I do drape the stinger cable over my shoulder to take off some of the weight and to help steady my hand.
                  Sometimes there's no second chances.

Comment

If its considered a bad habit then, I am guilty of it also.
                    On a side note, my cables are shielded. I'm sure some of the HF still bleeds through though.
                    20 lb. Ford Tune Up Tool
                    Miller Syncrowave 350DX
                    Miller Syncrowave 200R
                    Millermatic 250 Mig
                    Miller Thunderbolt 225V
                    Miller Elite Hood
                    Century 130 Porta Mig
                    Harris Multistage Oxy/Act
                    Milwaukee 9",7",4.5" Grinders
                    Milwaukee Porta Band
                    Milwaukee 14" Chop Saw
                    Lisle 7X12 Horiz/Vert Band Saw
                    00 Dodge 3500 Dsl Dually Tool Box

Comment

I've drape over the shoulder. never tried wrapping my arm. but I've been wondering that same question now that my arm and hand go numb after a few rods.
                      the leather's i don't wear should help with the shielding.
                      TB 325
                      TB 302
                      dynasty 200sd
                      spoolmatic 30a/wc24
                      suitcase x-treme 12vs
                      miller 211
                      evolution rage 2

Comment

OK when in the shop, not good for field work

Wrapping the lead around your body is OK when you're working in the shop. Unless you're worried about the electric fields and electric shock risks.

But working out in the field, particularly around vehicles is a bad risk. If a machine or truck snags your lead, and it's wrapped around your arm or shoulder, you could get seriously injured. If you're just holding the stinger in your hand, and the lead gets pulled, odds are you'll just lose the stinger and your patience.

Suppose you're high in the air and someone drops something heavy, or a crane load snags your lead, and pulls you off the building. Even if your harness catches you, you're going to be having a bad day...

Even on the ground... Suppose someone decides to move your rig? Most jobsites I'm familiar with require vehicles to be unlocked and keys in the ignition in case of emergency. You're 50' or 100' away and some idiot starts the truck and moves it 10' or 20' while you're welding...If there's no slack in the lead, and it's wound through all kinds of steel and equipment...and you're pulled through 10' or 20' of structural steel, piping, hangers and other people...
                        Benson's Mobile Welding & Fabrication
                        www.bensonmobilewelding.com
                        Serving the Dayton, Cincinnati, and Columbus, OH metropolitan areas

Comment

Originally posted by DamageInc537 View Post
                          This might just answer your question would be same principle

http://www.hps.org/hpspublications/a...owerlines.html

Other than the obvious other safety issues and possible scenarios that could happen as mentioned by

A_DAB_will_do

Comment

Originally posted by CrazyHorse! View Post
                            This might just answer your question would be same principle

http://www.hps.org/hpspublications/a...owerlines.html

Other than the obvious other safety issues and possible scenarios that could happen as mentioned by

A_DAB_will_do
                            Crazy.. good lnfo in the link thanks!

SpeedGlass 9000x Hood

Comment

I used to hang the whiplead across my shoulders, until reading something Lincoln had out about the possibility of magnetic fields being detrimental to a person's health.

Rather than testing the unkown, I decided to drop a 20+ year habit, and find other ways to get rid of the extra weight.

If I can find the article, I'll post it.
                              Jeff

Comment

Working...
                              X