VICTOR regulators SUCK

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reg

I called VICTOR last friday. Got ahold of a guy(will remain nameless) Said I will have repair parts Monday GUARANTEED. Called today since I have NO PARTS he is on a two week vacation and no one knows anything. Gotta love customer support.

Comment

I've been following the thread, and there seems to be some confusion about the opening and closing of the the said regulator. To clarify, are you talking abour a regulator or a flow meter? It seems to me that you are talking about a flow meter, although you are calling it a regulator. The two operate in a completely different manner, that's why I'm asking.
      Dynasty 200DX, first generation
      Makita 5" grinder
      Makita 14" abrasive saw
      IR SS5L compressor
      Whole bunch of hand/air tools.
      and a wish list a mile long

Comment

Originally posted by pro mod steve View Post
        I called VICTOR last friday. Got ahold of a guy(will remain nameless) Said I will have repair parts Monday GUARANTEED. Called today since I have NO PARTS he is on a two week vacation and no one knows anything. Gotta love customer support.
        ProMod: Did you buy these on line, or locally?
        "Bonne journe'e mes amis"

Comment

He said he paid $250 for it, so that would be online pricing - or a really cheap LWS.
          Con Fuse!
          Miller Dynasty 350
          Millermatic 350P
          -Spoolmatic 30A

Hypertherm PowerMax 1000G3
          Miller Multimatic 200 - awesome portable MIG (and stick and TIG)
          Miller Maxstar 200DX - portable TIG and stick

Comment

reg

O.K. lets end it all. Took the regulator to a VICTOR CERTIFIED repair shop. It took the tech 20 minutes to figure out what was going on since he hadn't seen this before. He took apart the faulty regulator. When the inlet was machined VICTOR put about a .020 hole into the chamber where the ball floats in the vertical cylinder. The tech said because of the hole it would show adjustability by the ball moving wit adjustment knob. But the hole was bypasssing the regulator and adding extra unregulated flow. He was nice enough to give me a FREE regulator body. He said the next time the Victor rep came by he would have him exchange it for a new one. I have to give a big thanks to BIG TEX welding supply in Houston Texas for doing what VICTOR SHOULD have done before it shipped.

Comment

well then,,, i guess they really do suck,, LOL
              Anything you could do, I could do better.
              I can do anything better than you!
              Lockheed Martin
              Armco Steel, Baltimore
              USW local #3185

Comment

Hmmmmmm. Ball floating in a vertical cylinder. Sounds more like a flowmeter to me than a regulator. Believe it or not, there is a difference.
                "When the wise old rooster crows, the smart young rooster listens."

Comment

Yup...

Both Regulators and Flowmeters have a High Pressure Gauge to show Bottle Pressure, but after that, they are quite different.

Regulators - Very similiar to Oxy/Acetylene Regs with Low Pressure Gauge showing PSI...I'm NOT getting into Single Stage and 2 Stage - Just a very general observation.

Flowmeters - Typically have the "Floating Ball" in the Vertical Tube and is gradauted in CFH (Cubic Feet per Hour)

It has been my personal experience though, that both the Regulators, and Flowmeters are Right Hand Threaded, and that turning them Clockwise INCREASES flow, and turning them Counter-Clockwise DECREASES flow.

In any event, glad you have things operational.
                  Later,
                  Jason

Professional Spark Generator by Trade.

Comment

Not arguing with anyone, but all of the flowmeters I have used, clockwise is to close and counterclockwise increase flow.? I would have thought that something like that would be standardized.
                    Dynasty 200DX, first generation
                    Makita 5" grinder
                    Makita 14" abrasive saw
                    IR SS5L compressor
                    Whole bunch of hand/air tools.
                    and a wish list a mile long

Comment

He said this was for his dynasty - which implies (at least to me) that he was talking about a flowmeter. He also said $250 which is the online price for victors dual output flowmeter.

So he finally got it repaired/replaced by an authorized repair center - the only issues left are the aggravation he had to go through and the 'ribbing' he got by posting about it here

Note: the technician did say he had never seen this issue before. With any mass produced product, there is a chance of a bad, or poorly assembled item getting through. The job of the company is to minimize that, and when it does happen take care of it. In the case of selling through a vendor, those companies expect the vendor to take care of it.

I haven't had to return any welding supplies yet, but I can say larger on-line merchants will swap out a defective part so fast it will typically make your head spin. Summit Racing for one. I got a shock absorber that arrived damaged/leaking. They asked me to place in a box, outside my front door and they scheduled a pickup by FedEx. On the 2nd day, I found they had picked up the box and left me a new one. I have to assume they did FedEx ground...pressurized shocks might not be a good thing on a plane.

From a friend that used to run customer service department. When a dissatisfied customer calls....
                      1) Apologize to the customer for the inconvenience. Customer is always right, and even if they are wrong, somehow they got misguided.
                      2) Fix the problem (I actually had one on-line retailer point me to another on-line retailer when they were out of stock! (x-mass gift)
                      3) Get the customer to come back ASAP - typically offer a modest coupon with short time period - 30 days etc.
                      Imagine if the online retailer did this: "Sorry for the bad part, we are fed-exing a new one to you today, take the old one and put in the box and we will arrange pickup, and here's a 10% coupon on your next order over $50"

Problem solved, and instead of unhappy customer posting negative comments on bulletin board, you have satisfied customer posting praises + coming back to use that coupon.

Oh well.
                      Con Fuse!
                      Miller Dynasty 350
                      Millermatic 350P
                      -Spoolmatic 30A

Hypertherm PowerMax 1000G3
                      Miller Multimatic 200 - awesome portable MIG (and stick and TIG)
                      Miller Maxstar 200DX - portable TIG and stick

Comment

Here's a link to Big Tex. Good service deserves recognition:

http://www.bigtexweldingsupplies.com/

Comment

Working...
                        X