VICTOR regulators SUCK

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VICTOR regulators SUCK

Spent 250.00 on a NEW dual regulator to backpurge stainless and one of the regulatoers is defective straight out of the box. Will not close and flows wide open. I had to send the customer down the road since I have no way to do the job. Not a backpurge job but the only reg I bought to cover all bases.

Would've been a good time for a back-up.
    Dynasty 200DX "Blue Lightning"
    Bernard 3500ss water-cooler
    Rockwell vertical mill
    Beverly Shear B-3
    Beverly Shear JR
    Home-made English wheel
    Milwaukee Porta-band
    " Sawz-all
    Tennsmith 36" stomp shear
    Fixer upper 1968 Redface Lincoln sa200
    Powcon 300st

Comment

Back UP

I understand but I am a tig Noob. Just finished school got a ton of money in a 200dx and accessories I am a litttle tapped for cash right now. just trying to advance on the diversity of what my shop can offer due to the economy.

Comment

Back UP

If you want to donate 250 bones I'll be glad to buy a back up if it works.

Comment

They'll probably make it right just a bummer you gotta wait alittle longer. If you lived near I'd loan you a spare.
          Dynasty 200DX "Blue Lightning"
          Bernard 3500ss water-cooler
          Rockwell vertical mill
          Beverly Shear B-3
          Beverly Shear JR
          Home-made English wheel
          Milwaukee Porta-band
          " Sawz-all
          Tennsmith 36" stomp shear
          Fixer upper 1968 Redface Lincoln sa200
          Powcon 300st

Comment

I've used Victor torches and regulators for many years now but lately I've been disappointed with Victor and my last 2 flow meters have been Harris. I'm going to replace my Victor O/A regulators with Harris as well.
            Blondie (Owner C & S Automotive)

Colt the original point & click interface!

Millermatic 35 with spot panel
            Miller 340A/BP
            Victor O/A torches
            Lincoln SP125
            Too many other tools to list

03 Ram 1500
            78 GS1000
            82 GL1100 Interstate

Comment

I rebuild old Victor gear for personal use. Cheep and let's me afford much more stuff.

Argon regulators are easy. Keep a kit handy for whatever type you have since it's usually the seat that goes bad.

Dual regulators are evil. You lose both if one breaks and you send it out, and they cost too much.

I use tees where I work, so the certainty of regulator damage or failure doesn't take out more than one regulator. I just slap a fresh one on and fix or send off the casualty. Equipment WILL fail or be damaged at inconvenient times, so be ready.

http://www.nextag.com/WESTERN-Manifo...01/prices-html

These work well and are only a few bucks more than sending a reg out to be rebuilt:

http://products.esabna.com/EN/home/g...latorflowmeter

If you need an argon regulator in an emergency, or need to purge something LARGE, the old construction/pipeline trick of hanging an argon nipple on an oxygen regulator body offers itself.

Collect gear, collect fittings, collect adapters, collect rebuildable equipment and have spare "everything you can have a spare of". Welding is like being a mechanic, never be "only one deep" on gear unless you know where to get a replacement quickly. Obsess on learning how everything works, being able to repair most of it, and knowing sources for parts and equipment. When I order parts from my local welding supply, I usually email the .pdf from the manual page to go with the number.

Comment

I wouldn't necessarily condemn all Victor regulators because you got a bad one. I have had good success with mine.

Comment

I've had great results with mine, and everything mechanical has a failure rate.

I don't think there is a vast difference between quality brands, and I look for used/rebuildable gear others don't want so I can get good stuff for low dollars.

Victor has good aftermarket support, and being so standard over time means you can turn them back serviceable in a hurry. Aftermarket tips make their cutting torches a good, inexpensive choice to operate.

Argon regulators are simple components, and cheap enough that there isn't much reason to buy expensive units. The money saved can go toward comsumables instead.

Everything in welding is pretty much "consumable". If it turns a good profit before dying it served its purpose.

Comment

I'm sure someone got a bad Rolex at one time too and thought it was a pile. but that don't mean they are a junk factory. crap happens. My O/A set has been running for near forty years (was my dads) and it has yet to fail.
                    Miller Syncrowave 200 W/Radiator 1A & water cooled torch
                    Millermatic 252 on the wish list
                    Bridgeport Mill W/ 2 axis CNC control
                    South bend lathe 10LX40
                    K.O. Lee surface grinder 6X18
                    Over 20 years as a Machinist Toolmaker
                    A TWO CAR garage full of tools and a fridge full of beer
                    Auto shades are for rookies
                    www.KLStottlemyer.com

Comment

victor

Iam not saying stuff doesn't fail but this was the FIRST USE. That is my problem it was junk right out of the box

Comment

It's always crappy to get a bad unit out of the box but having used Victor products for 40 years I find that very unusal. Take it back to the place you got it and don't take no for an answer.
                        David

Comment

i use vistor, harris and smith.... sometimes i dont even pay attention to which one i grab. the argon is in one box, the oxy/ fuel is in another... ive had problems out of them all.... kinda like the whole dodge/ chevy/ ford thingy..... they will ALL break at some point
                          welder_one

nothing fancy, just a few hot glue guns for metal
                          www.sicfabrications.com

Comment

Dual-Flow Regulators

Originally posted by pro mod steve View Post
                            Iam not saying stuff doesn't fail but this was the FIRST USE. That is my problem it was junk right out of the box
                            What's the model number? VIC0781-1153? As a self-proclaimed "noob," are you sure you have everything hooked up right, and you know how to use them?
                            "Bonne journe'e mes amis"

Comment

self proclaimed noob

Yes its hooked up right. If the regulator is mounted to the bottle with no hoses attached bothe regulator adjusting nobs closed you open the bottle valve and argon flows out the exit port I think there is a problem.

Comment

Working...
                              X