My new Speedglas 9100

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by just_a_girl View Post
    Here is what I can tell you about the 9100...........
    This is what I love about America, Reputable companies genuinely want to put out a quality product. And with the internet and communications now days, they can get feedback from REAL people that use THEIR stuff.

I have a 9100x and I LOVE IT.
    MM 211 W/ Spoolgun
    Diversion 180
    Spectrum 375 X-TREME
    Portable Victor O/A
    Palmgren Bench Drill Press
    14" Evolution Dry Saw
    IR 60 Gal. 3 HP Compressor
    Speedglas 9100x
    My Brain

Comment

Here is what I can tell you about the 9100. I was in Atlanta for the AWS/Fabtech show and met with a gentleman from 3M. If you have ever been to the AWS/Fabtech show, you know that most of the people that represent their companies are owners or some form of bigwig. When I met the guy from 3M I started to tell him about all the things I hate about my 9002X that I have owned for ten years. He asked where I was based from & I said St. Paul & he asked if we could do lunch. 3M headquarters is in St. Paul so a week later he bought me lunch. He took 3 pages of notes & 2 years later, the 9100 was in production. What I hated about my 9002X the most was how it didn't lock when it was up and the headgear. I do sales of welding supply full-time & teach welding part-time so, he was very interested on customer feedback over the years of other helmets and my experience as well. The best part is that every "complaint" I had in the three pages of notes, 3M fixed. I also hated how the 9002X hardware would strip out & fall off your head. Do notice how the 9100 is only three pieces & wont strip. I do believe I had one of the first off the line when they came out & I still have yet to find anything I donít love about it. I havenít tried the respirator yet so Iím not sure there. As of last week, you can get the hardhat adaptor for it & it lost its ability to lock when it is up. Iím not sure if I had it set up wrong or if it canít do it but I do have an email out about it.
      Hey now that's a cool story! Same thing happened to me....my computer was giving me fits, so I got ahold of Microsoft and told them everything as well that I hated about both of my computers. It was no time and they came out with Windows 7 !!!!! Talk about cool. So I know the feeling
      Seriously tho I am aware that 3M does love consumer feedback. They consulted me on 2 occassions about their welding hoods and both times I let them know just how much of a P.O.S. I felt their headgear was. Truth is I really don't much like headgear on anything but this one sure does feel good to ME.
      I also like the $50 worth of free gear the are stuffing in the box with the hood as well. Things like a NICE helmet bag (I absolutely am confused as to what Miller was thinking when the designed theirs...talk about junk) a thick Doo-rag (I would trade for a ball cap) and a handfull of lenses, plus a DVD and decal

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
      Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
      MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
      Miller Dynasty 280 with AC independent expansion card
      Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
      Miller 30-A Spoolgun
      Miller WC-115-A
      Miller Spectrum 300
      Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
      Miller Digital Elite Titanium 9400

Comment

Originally posted by FusionKing View Post
        Things like a NICE helmet bag (I absolutely am confused as to what Miller was thinking when the designed theirs...talk about junk) a thick Doo-rag (I would trade for a ball cap) and a handfull of lenses, plus a DVD and decal
        No kidding. When I recently got a new Digital Elite the free bag was worth every penny I paid for it....nothing!
        Miller Syncrowave 200
        Homemade Water Cooler
        130XP MIG
        Spectrum 375
        60 year old Logan Lathe
        Select Machine and Tool Mill
        More stuff than I can keep track of..

Comment

Mine came in today

Well my 9100XX came in today so I went up to the LWS and swapped out the 9100X demo unit for my new one. Just now thought of posting about that so here is a pic, albeit a crappy one taken while sitting in front of the forum
          Notice in the lower right it says made in Sweden by 3M

I am hoping I like the bigger window as time goes by and I become blinder.
          Final price with tax and everything was $367.97
          I am gonna do my dead level best to try and wear this thing out by the end of the season

Miller 30-A Spoolgun
          Miller WC-115-A
          Miller Spectrum 300

Comment

Originally posted by nocheepgas View Post
            No kidding. When I recently got a new Digital Elite the free bag was worth every penny I paid for it....nothing!

It is a nice big double layered bag

Miller 30-A Spoolgun
            Miller WC-115-A
            Miller Spectrum 300

Comment

Hey now that's a cool story!

Wait till I tell you about my angelfire story!

http://www.angelfiregear.com/

Comment

Wait till I tell you about my angelfire story!

http://www.angelfiregear.com/
                Hey I'm all ears...let's hear it

Miller 30-A Spoolgun
                Miller WC-115-A
                Miller Spectrum 300

Comment

Not trying to derail this thread but I figured this was the best place to ask.

I have a 9100x, I must say that I am now seeing things that I never knew existed. Wow what a great hood.

My question is. Is the only way to put the lens into grind mode to cycle thru the sensitivity settings and stop at the first.

I guess I was having wishful thinking that maybe in the upper range of the shade settings, that I would be able to use it on say shade 10 or 11 and have the sensitivity set down around one. And not have the lens darken from grinding sparks.

Fusion, thank you for your post about this hood. Had it not been for your post I would have probably went for the optrel hood. I am really glad I got what I did, the headgear is Fantastic.

Miller 211 A.S. and Spoolmate 100
                  Stickmate LX 235 AC / 160 DC.
                  Clarke 180 EN Just in case
                  Spectrum 375 X-Treme.
                  O/A Medium Radnor Torch, Large Victor Torch.
                  Milwaukee 14" Chop Saw.
                  4 x 6 Horizontal Band Saw.
                  Rockworth 80 Gallon 2 Stage 16 SCFM @ 175 PSI , 15 SCFM @ 90 PSI.
                  Jackson Passive shade #5 for the plasma.
                  I almost forgot the Hobart XVP AD Hood.

Projects and Misc Albums
                  http://picasaweb.google.com/keesfriend Feel Free to Have a Look ( Just keep in mind I am an amateur )

Comment

Hey now that's a cool story! Same thing happened to me....my computer was giving me fits, so I got ahold of Microsoft and told them everything as well that I hated about both of my computers. It was no time and they came out with Windows 7 !!!!! Talk about cool. So I know the feeling
                    Seriously tho I am aware that 3M does love consumer feedback. They consulted me on 2 occassions about their welding hoods and both times I let them know just how much of a P.O.S. I felt their headgear was. Truth is I really don't much like headgear on anything but this one sure does feel good to ME.
                    I also like the $50 worth of free gear the are stuffing in the box with the hood as well. Things like a NICE helmet bag (I absolutely am confused as to what Miller was thinking when the designed theirs...talk about junk) a thick Doo-rag (I would trade for a ball cap) and a handfull of lenses, plus a DVD and decal
                    After using Windows 7 for a few months now I wonder if I could meet with Microsoft and tell them all that I hate about it and get them to come out with Windows 8?

I can't stand Winbloze 7!! But they're not supporting Windows 2000 anymore so looks like I'm stuck with it.

Question about the Speedglass. What is the lightest shade it will go down to? My Big Window Elite won't go below 9 and when I do low amp TIG it's too dark, which is why I'm wanting to get an Optrel Satelite as it will go to a 5 shade and all the way up to a 13 shade.
                    Blondie (Owner C & S Automotive)

Colt the original point & click interface!

Millermatic 35 with spot panel
                    Miller 340A/BP
                    Victor O/A torches
                    Lincoln SP125
                    Too many other tools to list

03 Ram 1500
                    78 GS1000
                    82 GL1100 Interstate

Comment

i have the 9100xx,,, it has the following shades

Anything you could do, I could do better.
                      I can do anything better than you!
                      Lockheed Martin
                      Armco Steel, Baltimore
                      USW local #3185

Comment

Originally posted by tom37 View Post
                        Not trying to derail this thread but I figured this was the best place to ask.

I have a 9100x, I must say that I am now seeing things that I never knew existed. Wow what a great hood.

My question is. Is the only way to put the lens into grind mode to cycle thru the sensitivity settings and stop at the first.

I guess I was having wishful thinking that maybe in the upper range of the shade settings, that I would be able to use it on say shade 10 or 11 and have the sensitivity set down around one. And not have the lens darken from grinding sparks.

Fusion, thank you for your post about this hood. Had it not been for your post I would have probably went for the optrel hood. I am really glad I got what I did, the headgear is Fantastic.
                        It is a bit of a pain to go to grind IMO as well but then as with anything that does the work of 2 tools it is generally giving up something somewhere. If it didn't "see" grinding sparks it would be doubtful it would see the welding ones either.
                        BTW....you're welcome

Miller 30-A Spoolgun
                        Miller WC-115-A
                        Miller Spectrum 300

Comment

Thanks Fusion,

I read everything I could find and watched the handy dandy video several times, but I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something.

I agree about the sparks, but was hoping that in the upper range ( 9 thru 13 ) that with the sensitivity set low, that there was maybe a chance that it would not turn the lens.

I can see this being a problem in the ( 5 - 8 ) range working with low amps.

Maybe down the road somewhere they can incorporate an easy to push dedicated grind button.

I know I can't have my cake and eat it too, but I try.

Once again to all the members that are looking at hoods, if you can swing it this hood is fantastic. Walking out the door price at my Air-Gas was 262.00 with a 10 pack of sweat bands.

One last thing, If you ever fogged a lens, this hood will make the difference of night and day. I have yet to fog it, and thats going from the AC in the garage to the driveway. I never really noticed but I guess when I concentrate I must breathe thru my mouth.

Spectrum 375 X-Treme.
                          Milwaukee 14" Chop Saw.

Projects and Misc Albums
                          http://picasaweb.google.com/keesfriend Feel Free to Have a Look ( Just keep in mind I am an amateur )

Comment

Comfortable looking hood

What shade are the side windows? Does it turn on automatically or do you have to turn it on after taking a break?

Comment

I could be mistaken but I think the sides are maybe a 3 could be slightly lighter tho. After turning it on the first time it will stay active for 60 minutes with no use, meaning no flash to trigger the lens. I didnt realize how nice the windows would be until I used it. My neighbors tend to walk up on me while I am welding, then say very loud, (Whata Ya Doing). OMG thats enough to make ya have a heart attack. Now I see them coming.

It does have a nice feature, that flashes the sensitivity light every 5 seconds to signal that you are in grind mode. It only took me once getting flashed to remember to look for the blinking light.

Spectrum 375 X-Treme.
                              Milwaukee 14" Chop Saw.

Projects and Misc Albums

Comment

Originally posted by tom37 View Post
                                I could be mistaken but I think the sides are maybe a 3 could be slightly lighter tho. After turning it on the first time it will stay active for 60 minutes with no use, meaning no flash to trigger the lens. I didnt realize how nice the windows would be until I used it. My neighbors tend to walk up on me while I am welding, then say very loud, (Whata Ya Doing). OMG thats enough to make ya have a heart attack. Now I see them coming.
                                If my neighbors were to sneak up on me and say something like that it'd put me into immediate smarta$$ mode and I'd probably quote an old Frank Zappa song lyric and come back with something like basting this cake with a paper knife. Can't you tell? I've only had one such incident and she only asked what I was making and actually took an interest in what I was doing.

HOWEVER this does sound like a nice feature to have! I don't think my local welding supply stocks Speedglass to be able to demo one. I know I'd have to order the Optrel without being able to see it either. After seeing this thread I'm going to have to carefully compare specs as well as pricing for replacement clear cover lenses before buying either of them.
                                Blondie (Owner C & S Automotive)

Colt the original point & click interface!

Millermatic 35 with spot panel
                                Miller 340A/BP
                                Victor O/A torches
                                Lincoln SP125
                                Too many other tools to list

03 Ram 1500
                                78 GS1000
                                82 GL1100 Interstate

Comment

Working...
                                X