My new Speedglas 9100

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My new Speedglas 9100

I was in the LWS today and the local outside sales guy asked me if I had noticed the welding hood he laid on the counter. I hadn't but to be nice I checked it out. I was BLOWN AWAY by the headgear!
    They have went and simply stepped totally out of the box here.
    They told me it was a demo and I couldn't buy it (I tried) So I simply took it with me to "demo"!!
    It was the 9100x and they called me later and gave me a price on the 9100XX and I said order it.
    It feels so good that if it was a Harbor Freight I would switch.
    If you do some clicking around here www.speedglas.com there is a 16 page document on this thing and it has pics better than I would do.
    I have worn Speedglas helmets and they are fine but this one I feel is in a league of it's own. Lots of other cool features too.
    It's gonna cost me a tad under $360 for the bigger view and the middle size was about $280. You give up the solar option for the big window but with bi-focals it has to be great. The normal one I used today was plenty good for my glasses so I am pumped.
    So I will be selling my LXi or my Esab Eyetech soon.

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
    Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
    MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
    Miller Dynasty 280 with AC independent expansion card
    Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
    Miller 30-A Spoolgun
    Miller WC-115-A
    Miller Spectrum 300
    Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
    Miller Digital Elite Titanium 9400

I will try and take some pics today and post them later.
    Anyone else tried or seen this hood? Not just any Speedglas but rather this particular model (9100 series) It is designed to stop headaches and neckaches. They actually studied medical stuff when designing it. Said they were looking at arteries and all that! (thinking about Bodybagger here)
    I really like the way they made it so you you can wear it over a backwards ballcap and feel good. Not to mention when it is flipped up it doesn't make you look like a conehead. It would be much better than a normal helmet in the wind. A lot of thought went into this helmet.
    I tried my best to fog it...my Miller hood would have been dripping at that point. Sorry I am a mouth breather when I work. When I have to think about breathing then my welding suffers.

Miller 30-A Spoolgun
    Miller WC-115-A
    Miller Spectrum 300

Comment

I just picked one up at cyberweld, the 9100x. I agree the headgear is like nothing out there. It's adjustable in every direction. the hood sortof locks at the up postion, alowing you to lean over and grind or whatever without it coming down. I really actually like the side windows, allows more peripheral vision. I'm totally satisfied with it.

side note...miller should worry more about the functionality of the helmet than the "pretty" graphics on the side(hood Hysteria). just saying the bar HAS been raised with the speedglas 9100
      MM 211 W/ Spoolgun
      Diversion 180
      Spectrum 375 X-TREME
      Portable Victor O/A
      Palmgren Bench Drill Press
      14" Evolution Dry Saw
      IR 60 Gal. 3 HP Compressor
      Speedglas 9100x
      My Brain

Comment

I've had the 9100XX for a year now and love it. Everyone I've ever let use it wants one. It takes a little while to get the headgear set-up just right and then the fit is excellent. I still have my eyes on the Optrel e680 & the new Millers with the CoolBand system. I'm a bit impulsive,I don't need 3 helmets but I'm slill buying them though.
        Last edited by Mr Bigs; 04-21-2010, 11:07 AM.

Comment

Miller coolband

Hadn't heard about the coolband so went and looked at it on the Miller site. Neat piece of gear may have to look at getting one. To bad it wouldn't fit my 9100X I have that I really like using.
          Harold Mulder

Millermatic 211 MVP
          HTP Invertig 201 with water cooler

Comment

OK...Pics as promised. Notice it has 2 bands that go over the top of your head.

Also the fore and aft adjustment is works quite nicely

The rear band adjuster is on a pvot as you can see and it feels very nice. I tried it with a hat backwards and it realy did feel good to me. Not to mention the dual band missing the little knot on the top of most hats.

Miller 30-A Spoolgun
            Miller WC-115-A
            Miller Spectrum 300

Comment

One last pic I had. Funny all I was trying to do was show the electronics, but you cannot help notice the view out the side windows as well. It takes about 3 seconds to get used to that. I wish I had taken a pic of what this hood looks like in the UP position just so you can see how cool that is as well. It pivots about even with your ears so that makes it stay just above your head and not standing straight up like most hoods. You could put this thing on in the morning and head off to work practically.

Miller 30-A Spoolgun
              Miller WC-115-A
              Miller Spectrum 300

Comment

Ive seen these at my LWS and wondered how well the head gear would last esp the front of the band. The one I tried seemed lightweight with the front cut in a sort of saw tooth pattern which is supposed to conform to your head better. I see yours has a sweat band over it. Did that come w/ the hood or was it extra?

Comment

I hope since its a demo hood he used his own sweatband! Those vent windows are nice and they make a cover to block the side windows if you don't want them.
                  The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not. Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Speedglass 9100X

Fusion: I read the 16 page spec sheets on this, and looks like 3M really came up with a winner. Well balanced and ergonomically designed.

Keep us posted how you like it.
                    "Bonne journe'e mes amis"

Comment

Originally posted by LWSGUY View Post
                      I hope since its a demo hood he used his own sweatband! Those vent windows are nice and they make a cover to block the side windows if you don't want them.
                      You know that thought occurred to me
                      Lysol maybe?

Miller 30-A Spoolgun
                      Miller WC-115-A
                      Miller Spectrum 300

Comment

I can't stress enough how this 9100XX makes this Digital Elite I have look like a "joke". The Digital Elite is awesome till you use the 9100xx.. Clarity is much clearer than the elite, Speedglas never fogs up on me as the miller does frequently, feels lighter as well, the headgear again is superb. and everything else is better for the most part. I still have my Digital Elite, as well as a 9100XX. I use the Miller Elite for the getting underneath a car and sparky stuff, and keep my Speedglas Clean by using that only with nothing that involves sparks, so that is strictly a TIG helmet for me.! Can't praise the 9100XX enough>!!!!

Comment

Will this Speedglass 9100 turn on automatically? I can't stand turning on my Elite every time I pick it up...It hurts when I forget.

Comment

Here is what I can tell you about the 9100. I was in Atlanta for the AWS/Fabtech show and met with a gentleman from 3M. If you have ever been to the AWS/Fabtech show, you know that most of the people that represent their companies are owners or some form of bigwig. When I met the guy from 3M I started to tell him about all the things I hate about my 9002X that I have owned for ten years. He asked where I was based from & I said St. Paul & he asked if we could do lunch. 3M headquarters is in St. Paul so a week later he bought me lunch. He took 3 pages of notes & 2 years later, the 9100 was in production. What I hated about my 9002X the most was how it didn't lock when it was up and the headgear. I do sales of welding supply full-time & teach welding part-time so, he was very interested on customer feedback over the years of other helmets and my experience as well. The best part is that every "complaint" I had in the three pages of notes, 3M fixed. I also hated how the 9002X hardware would strip out & fall off your head. Do notice how the 9100 is only three pieces & wont strip. I do believe I had one of the first off the line when they came out & I still have yet to find anything I donít love about it. I havenít tried the respirator yet so Iím not sure there. As of last week, you can get the hardhat adaptor for it & it lost its ability to lock when it is up. Iím not sure if I had it set up wrong or if it canít do it but I do have an email out about it.

Comment

Been using mine for 10 months now. Just love it. The fit is great. I have put some scars into the plastic from head contact with immovable objects but sure like it better than my Jackson.

Leefy

Dynasty 350 - My New Baby
                              Millermatic 210 Mig with Spoolmate 3035
                              Miller Thunderbolt XL 225/150 AC/DC Stick Welder
                              Miller Specturm 625 Plasma Cutter
                              Speedglas 9100 auto dark helmet
                              Jackson auto dark helmet
                              18.5 CFM Eagle Compressor
                              Oxy/Act
                              Horizontal Band Saw
                              Dewalt 14" Chop Saw
                              7 1/2 Dewalt Angle Grinder
                              4 - 4 1/2" Sears Angle Grinders
                              1 - 4" Makita Angle Grinder
                              2 - IR Die Grinders
                              All of which my wife says will be a "he$$ of a garage sale"

Comment

Working...
                              X