extension cord for 252 miller

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• extension cord for 252 miller

I need to run atleast 100 feet possibly 150' from the welder (252 240V). I very rarely use the welder for heavy metal. Is 8awg enough for the run? I think the welder draws around 50 amps but that is only when it is turned up. I still want to be able to weld the occasional thick piece of metal. I do not want to spend the money for 6 awg unless it is REALLY needed. Am I able to use 50' of 6 awg and 100' of 8?
    thanks for the help

You could use 6 and 8.

Comment

Size

The smaller the number the heavier the wire. You have it the other way around, 50' # 8 100' # 6 is the correct way.

Comment

Originally posted by arraflipper View Post
        The smaller the number the heavier the wire. You have it the other way around, 50' # 8 100' # 6 is the correct way.
        Either way you are going to need one Mother**** of a Junction Box !!

.......... Norm
        - Arcair- K 4000 CAC.
        - LN - 25
        - Lincoln Ranger 8
        -DeWalt Compressor

www.normsmobilewelding.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by nfinch86 View Post
          Either way you are going to need one Mother**** of a Junction Box !!

.......... Norm
          Not to mention a cart to haul all that cable around. I'm guess 125 lbs???

I made up 100' of 6 gauge and you pretty much have to heave it over your shoulder to move it.
          Con Fuse!
          Miller Dynasty 350
          Millermatic 350P
          -Spoolmatic 30A

Hypertherm PowerMax 1000G3
          Miller Multimatic 200 - awesome portable MIG (and stick and TIG)
          Miller Maxstar 200DX - portable TIG and stick

Comment

From what I've read on here and other places, if you are going to go over 100' 8 wire won't work due to the voltage drop in the length of wire. If you want to use the capacity of the machine, go with the 6.
            MillerMatic 252
            Spoolmate 200
            Diversion 165
            Spectrum 625 X-Treme
            Dayton 6" Miter Band Saw
            Delta Drill Press
            Bosch 10" Table Saw
            Bosch 12" Double Bevel Miter Saw
            Jet 5 Ton Chain Hoist
            Radnor O/A

and this heavy duty table I made

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by arraflipper View Post
              I would use the 6 awg for the FIRST 50 feet followed by the 100' of 8. I do not want to purchase 100' of 6 because of price and weight unless I have to.

Comment

johndeere,

150' of power lead from the power supply to the machine is a "long feed".

Using 50' of 6ga SO cable combined with 100' of 8ga SO cable WILL result in a voltage drop affecting the output of the machine.

I use a MM251 and I wouldn't consider feeding it with 100' of 8ga SO cable, much less the system you're describing.

Granted, buying (somewhat more costly) and carrying around 150' of 6ga SO cable can be something of a hassle, but then again so can trying to weld 150' from your power source.

You may wish to check with empirewire on ebay. I've bought several spools of 6ga SO cable from them for considerably less than I could get it locally. That includes the wholesale electrical suppliers as well as the big box stores.

EDIT: I thought you said in your other post that a Miller 251/252 was out of your price range and you were looking at buying a red machine.(confused)
                Last edited by SundownIII; 04-19-2010, 10:50 AM.
                Syncrowave 250 DX Tigrunner
                Dynasty 200 DX
                Miller XMT 304 w/714D Feeder & Optima Control
                Miller MM 251 w/Q300 & 30A SG
                Hobart HH187
                Dialarc 250 AC/DC
                Hypertherm PM 600 & 1250
                Wilton 7"x12" bandsaw
                PC Dry Cut Saw, Dewalt Chop Saw
                Milwaukee 8" Metal Cut Saw, Milwaukee Portaband.
                Thermco and Smith (2) Gas Mixers
                More grinders than hands

Comment

Originally posted by SundownIII View Post
                  johndeere,

EDIT: I thought you said in your other post that a Miller 251/252 was out of your price range and you were looking at buying a red machine.(confused)
                  You caught me lol I thought I may get more responses with a miller machine and they both require the same amount of amps.

Thanks for all the help
                  Last edited by johndeere110; 04-19-2010, 07:35 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X