help welding exhaust pipe please help me out tb302

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help welding exhaust pipe please help me out tb302

im trying to weld some exaust pipe with a miller trailblazer tig i am new to welding so please help me out the best u can i keep burning thu has anyone done this to put me in the right direction amps wire ,tugsten etc its not stainless just regular exhaust pipe

Try using 3/32" 6013 rod

If you are making headers or a manifold I can understand TIGing it. If you are replacing a steel pipe why not just use 6013 about 70-75 amps. You could also try 3/32" 6010 at about 55-60 amps.
    The steel pipe may be plated with aluminum.

Comment

If you do still decide to TIG it, torch angle is a big deal on pipe. Try to keep your tungsten pointed almost straight into the pipe, tilting back too much will heat the pipe ahead of the pool too much and cause it to melt thru.

Comment

First make sure your fitup is tight & clean. Gaps & rust will make it very difficult. Are you using a pedal or finger control to adjust the amps or just setting the machine? If you don't have a way to adjust your amps remotely while you weld & your trying to learn on exhaust pipe (thinwall tube) then it will be very difficult. Just keep practicing & if your burning through then it is either to hot or your staying in one place to long. I would use .045 or 1/16 wire with a 1/16 or 3/32 tungsten sharpened to a point & probably start at about 50 amps & go up or down from there. Straight argon about 15 lbs. Also what kind of joint, is it a butt or does one slide into the other?
        MM250
        Trailblazer 250g
        22a feeder
        Lincoln ac/dc 225
        Victor O/A
        MM200 black face
        Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
        Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
        Arco roto-phase model M
        Vectrax 7x12 band saw
        Miller spectrum 875
        30a spoolgun w/wc-24
        Syncrowave 250
        RCCS-14

Comment

I would rather not use Tig for this, but I have before. I once welded a catalytic converter to an exhaust system using scratch start Tig off an Lincoln SA-200 because it was all I had available. If I recall I ran about 60 amps and used a small filler ( about .045" ). If you have ever welded aluminum, you know how fast you have to move compared to steel. This is more like welding aluminum even though it is steel. Move fast, If it starts to burn through, back off the amps for a second to freeze the puddle. With the scratch start rig I had no amp control so I had to lengthen my arc for a second when it got too hot. Once your puddle is going your moving; No little tight circles, more like big elongated ovals. Use a lot of filler and keep that puddle full.
          Sometimes there's no second chances.

Comment

Working...
          X