Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

The forum is currently undergoing maintenance and is in a 'read-only' mode for the time being. Sorry for the inconvenience.

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Newbie with an older Roughneck 2E

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie with an older Roughneck 2E

Hello there. I just bought a Craiglist Roughneck 2E. Battery dead, not tested whatsoever. Knowing the Tecumseh will run after soaking the gunked up carburetor in Amonia (an old trick), I took a hunch and bought it. A few other guys were online to buy it also, and I'm lucky the seller went with me. First come first serve, I think.

AFTER starting up the motor, I have a few questions to resolve.

1.) What's the best way to find 50 foot leads cheaply? Make up the wires or buy them? I've seen 50 footers online at airgas for $240. Is this a good price? It seems high. That's $2.40 a foot.

2.) Can a wire feed unit be run from this unit? I'm a newbie, so the real question does MIG operate on 25 volts 50/60hz DC? And then if so, what is a good suggestion on a Miller model number for a wire feed unit?

Many Thanks for your time and expertise.

link to user manual

This is the Miller Roughneck 2E manual.

http://www.millerwelds.com/om/o420l_mil.pdf

Comment

I bet you ended up with a better deal than me on that welder.

As for leads - i`d watch craigslist, ebay, and check places that sell used welding equipment. I think Tractor Supply is charging like $2.69 a foot just for the cable. The price you were quoted is also on track with premierpowerwelder.com's prices.

And this is how I got one set of 20 ft leads for my premier power welder:

I bought an old Miller Thunderbolt for $50 - came with the leads with the correct lugs for my onboard welder, then I sold the Thunderbolt on craigslist for $75 after using it for a couple months for little things.

Goodluck.

Comment

I would make my own leads and at only 50' 4ga cable would be adequate and 2ga even more so. If needed, cable connectors to fit the Roughneck run less than $10 each and an electrode holder and work clamp would run aound $30 total.

Are you sure that's the correct manual for the unit based on its SN? Not sure why the manual lists its output as DC as Roughneck 2Es are AC weld output only and not easily set up for use with a wire feeder. Being a constant current (CC) output, even a DC unit would require a votlage sensing wire feeder for best operation.
        Last edited by duaneb55; 04-08-2010, 09:31 PM.

Comment

I think you will find the roughneck is a stick welder only.
          But the AC generator part might be able to power a 115 volt welder.
          Get the owners manual for your serial number and check the output specs.
          Have fun.

Comment

I agree with ccawgc in that a 115vac wire feed welder off the auxiliary AC power would be the easiest/best way to go for a MIG and/or Flux Core operation.

Comment

I agree, but...

Indeed 29 amps at 220V is nice, and that would power a MIG welder... The question still stands. Is MIG a 25V DC process? Where does the SGA100C come into play? It seems to be on the diagram for spool guns and powered units.

These are complete newbie questions, and show some frustration. Eventually I'll speak the lingity of DC/AC CC/CV, as they apply to each kind of welding process.

-David

Comment

David,

Yes, MIG is a DC/CV process (shielding gas, reverse polarity) as is Flux Core (no gas, straight polarity). And again, the Roughneck is an AC only CC weld output.

As stated before, there are wire feeders that are arc 'voltage sensing' that provide proper wire feed speed control for use with CC (stick welder) machines but there's still the AC-vs.-DC output issue.

With the accessory equipment required to MIG with the Roughneck, as ccawgc pointed out, you'd be way ahead to use its AC auxiliary power to run a portable 115vac or 230vac MIG machine.

To help you learn more, go up to the 'Resources' pull-down menu and click on 'Improving Your Skills' for some very good information.

Comment

I have reserves this weekend.

Come Monday, I'll post the model number of the Miller wire feed unit that I have. It belongs to a retired farmer. It's mine for the taking. I have to take a look at it. It must be as old as the Roughneck.

I'm gathering that MIG could be done the AC output. This is pretty clear. It's obvious as **** even to a novice welder. My mom could tell me what she could run off the 220/110. What I'm trying to get a positive answer on is if a mig wire feed unit can be connected to the 25V DC. I have a wire feed unit already, and need to know if it might work. Details to be posted on monday, on the model number of the unit. It is also a Miller.

If it can be done, that's what I'm asking. Not to do it somehow else through the AC output. That's avoiding the question.

I'm in a boat yard with no 220 and only 110 that's not reliable. So, this Roughneck 2E is the power source. The boat is undergoaing a refit, closing sea cocks, adding hydraulic steering, and a thousand odds and ends. Knowledge is hard fought eh?

Many, many thanks.

David

Comment

OK, let's try this again.

As I stated in post #4, the manual you posted the link for lists the Roughneck incorrectly as a 200A @ 25VDC weld output. It's not. It's an AC weld output only and coupled with the fact it is a constant current (CC) machine it won't run a wire feeder that requires a DC weld output from a constant voltage (CV) machine with an adjustable voltage range of ~10-40VDC.

I fail to see where any of us have been "avoiding the question" but rather attempting to explain the differences between the Roughneck and what you're hoping to accomplish vs. the options you have. Obviously we've failed. So to keep the answer to your question direct and to the point - no, it won't work.

If you want to know why, go back and reread the responses in your thread. . .

. . .or ask your mom.

Let us know what the wire feeder is on Monday and good luck on the boat refit.

Comment

You ain't gonna be doing any MIG with that machine. Sorry. NO GO.

Don't matter what details, it ain't gonna work. Listen to what you have already been told. Good, knowledgeable guys have already given you the answer. The manual has a typo. Never seen a Roughneck with DC output. The manual doesn't list parts for a DC rectifier, absolutely necessary for producing DC weld current from an AC alternator.

Unless you PLUG a MIG welder into the 220 AC aux power it provides ( the earlier ones don't even have 220), you ain't gonna do it with AC CC current, no matter what you do. This topic has already been beat to death on a dozen different boards.

The SGA 100 is something completely different & is designed to operate on power sources providing Constant Voltage weld current. Even if the machine did produce DC current, it's not suitable for that unit.

Being a smart alec isn't going to help you much either. Sorry, seems like you kinda came off that way.

That machine is for stick welding ONLY. Unless you plug a wire feed welder into it, that's all it's going to do. Best bet is to use it for stick & either get a small 110 or 220 wire feed machine that will run on it's aux power, or sell it & save for something that will produce CV current suitable for small diameter solid wire MIG welding.

Comment

ok, many thanks... a typo

The manual has a typo. Interesting.

Duane, I saw that you said early in this thread that ARC was an AC process, then you edited another of your posts.. Because you said it's AC, then the manual said it's 25V DC... that was a contradiction. What I've read ARC is either DC or AC. The AC wave is further modified for better performance.

Anywho. No kidding. It's an AC generator, then the DC is rectified. If it were AC, the wave on this is likely the sine and not square.... because it's an old unit. So it's more than likely just a DC welder based on age alone. Moving on, the manual does have the rectifier listed, and it's in the wiring schematic diagram. Sorry, 7A749 your info is bad. Anywho, I'm sorry to point this out. I came here to learn and respect what folks had to say.

Anywho. Thanks guys. I'll figure this out myself. This is a DC welder 25 volts, constant current. It might not wire feed well, but it should do it.

Comment

??? When you finally listen to someone, your future apology will be gladly accepted.

Anywho, sounds like you've already got it all figured out. Have fun.
                          Last edited by duaneb55; 04-11-2010, 10:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by usa-068 View Post
                            The manual has a typo. Interesting.

Sorry, 7A749 your info is bad. Anywho, I'm sorry to point this out. I came here to learn and respect what folks had to say.

Anywho. Thanks guys. I'll figure this out myself. This is a DC welder 25 volts, constant current. It might not wire feed well, but it should do it.
                            Yup...

I'm SURE you'll get it all figured out.

Sounds like you already have all the answers. Being a smart a$$ed jerk sure isn't "respecting what folks have to say" Kind of funny how the manual says DC output & then lists the OCV in AC as well as the volt amp curve chart. Kinda hard to have DC current when only AC open circuit voltage is present at the output studs & there's NO polarity & current switch on the machine to switch it from AC to DC weld current. Betcha you didn't bother to read it that far tho.

Why don't you give Miller a call? Ask for Performance Engine Drive Division & run your most excellent acquired wisdom by them. It will be good for a laugh anywhoo.....

Be sure to let us all know how well your AC roughneck MIG welds. Maybe you can tell me how to connect a wire feeder to it, since after 10 years of rebuilding & selling them, obviously I don't have a clue.

Moron.
                            Last edited by 7A749; 04-11-2010, 10:38 PM.

Comment

Hey, I'm sorry guys. This is a 25V DC welder. Please maintain your cool.

-Dave

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.