trouble with bobcat225g and 8vs feeder

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• trouble with bobcat225g and 8vs feeder

Hello everyone....I was wondering if anyone out there uses a bobcat 225g with a wirefeeder. I have a 8vs and tried it on 3/16 plate but could not get any penitration...had it set to cv using .035 wire...should I try smaller wire? any sugestions would be apreciated..thank you
    Bobcat225g plus
    8VS suitcase feeder
    Syncrowave SD180
    Miller CP250-TS S-52A Feeder
    Lincoln SP100 mig
    14x40 engine lathe
    bridgeport mill
    torch, plasma cutter, grinders, drills, and all that stuff

Are you using the right polarity??? Remember, Reverse Polarity is electrode positive.
    Obviously, I'm just a hack-artist, you shouldn't be listening to anything I say .....

Comment

That should do that job no problem.

What are ALL of your machine settings.

Ranges, CV or CC.

Does the machine run up to high RPM?

a-

Comment

I have the process switched to negative for wirefeed...the amperage set all the way down where it says for wirefeed...the feeder is set to cv...and I'm using straight co2...the enigne revs up and welds fine when using stick...I will get a tach and see if the engine rpm's are running where it's supose to. thanks for the input I'll post what I find out.
        Bobcat225g plus
        8VS suitcase feeder
        Syncrowave SD180
        Lincoln SP100 mig
        14x40 engine lathe
        bridgeport mill

Comment

What type of wire are you running? If you are using shielding gas (100% CO2), and solid or gas-shielded flux-core wire, the gun should be DC+ and the work clamp Neg (-).

DC+ is "Reverse Polarity" (DCEP)

DC- is "Straight Polarity" (DCEN)

Also, make sure the switch inside the case of the 8VS is set to "CV" as well.

In other words, the Positive lead from the welder should plug in to the lead on the feeder.

The work clamp lead should be attached to the NEG lug on the welder, and the voltage sensing clamp from the feeder should be attached to your work as well, to complete the curcuit.
          Last edited by davedarragh; 03-31-2010, 06:01 PM.
          "Bonne journe'e mes amis"

Comment

did some more research and it seems like everyone says these are very cold blooded machines(the onan engines). it worked better after letting it run for probably a half hour. I didn't get a tach yet to check the rpm's on it. and since I did rebuild the engine it probably needs to be adjusted. picked it up last summer for $200 with a rod out. and just recently got the feeder off of ebay. I also tried it on cc, doesn't weld very smooth but ya get alot more heat. thanks for the helpful advice!!!
            Bobcat225g plus
            8VS suitcase feeder
            Syncrowave SD180
            Lincoln SP100 mig
            14x40 engine lathe
            bridgeport mill

Comment

Originally posted by flatbroke View Post
              I have the process switched to negative for wirefeed...the amperage set all the way down where it says for wirefeed...the feeder is set to cv...and I'm using straight co2...the enigne revs up and welds fine when using stick...I will get a tach and see if the engine rpm's are running where it's supose to. thanks for the input I'll post what I find out.
              Doesn't sound like you've got things hooked up properly.

There are 3 "lugs" on the front of the machine. Facing the machine, on the extreme left is the "work" lug (ground). The two on the right are for CC (Stick & TIG) and CV (wire feed)

Earlier I asked what type of wire are you running? Whether it's solid MIG, or gas-shielded flux-cored wire, you should have the polarity selector set to "+"

Hook the lead from the "CV" lug to your feeder. The machine's ground clamp, and the feeder's "ground" clamp should both be attached to your work.

Set the machine to "CV" output, and adjust the voltage around 21-22 volts, and the WFS on your feeder to 320-340 IPM. There's a chart inside the lid of the feeder which gives operating parameters.

I don't see a need to let the machine "heat up" for over 1/2 an hour to make it weld correctly. If it welds fine in CC mode (stick), it has to be a hook up issue with your feeder.

Keep in mind, voltage drop has to be considered. Depending on your cable size and length, you may need to adjust your voltage higher (by a volt or 2) to compensate. If you find your wire "stubbing" out, increase the voltage. If you find that adjustment creating too much penetration, reduce voltage and WFS. You just have to "play" with it to get optimum performance.
              Last edited by davedarragh; 04-10-2010, 03:26 PM.

Comment

I think Dave is right. Sounds like a connection issue.
                is the Voltage rage selector in the correct area for the voltage you need??
                Miller Syncrowave 200 W/Radiator 1A & water cooled torch
                Millermatic 252 on the wish list
                Bridgeport Mill W/ 2 axis CNC control
                South bend lathe 10LX40
                K.O. Lee surface grinder 6X18
                Over 20 years as a Machinist Toolmaker
                A TWO CAR garage full of tools and a fridge full of beer
                Auto shades are for rookies
                www.KLStottlemyer.com

Comment

Dave, Trailblazers have 3 weld output lugs as you describe, however Bobcats have only 2 lugs, positive and negative. The process switch on the face of the machine has CV and CC positions, as well as Neg and Pos electrode positions. He can select CV (wire) NEG or POS on the selector switch, high or low output, and then use the fine dial to adjust it from there.
                  Millermatic350P/Python, MillermaticReach/Q300
                  Millermatic175
                  MillermaticPassport/Q300
                  HTP MIG200
                  PowCon 300SM, MK Cobramatic
                  ThermalArc 185ACDC, Dynaflux Tig'r, CK-20
                  DialarcHF, Radiator-1
                  Hypertherm PowerMax 380
                  Purox oxy/ace
                  Jackson EQC
                  -F350 CrewCab 4x4
                  -LoadNGo utility bed
                  -Bobcat 250NT
                  -PassportPlus/Q300
                  -XMT304/Optima/Spoolmatic15A
                  -Suitcase8RC/Q400
                  -Suitcase12RC/Q300
                  -Smith oxy/propane
                  -Jackson EQC

Comment

Actually, the earlier Bobcats had 3 output studs too. I have a 225G 'parts' unit with the 3 studs and a three years newer 225G Plus working unit with only 2 and a CV setting on the process selector switch.
                    MM200 w/spot controller and Spoolmatic 1
                    Syncrowave 180 SD
                    Bobcat 225G Plus LPG/NG w/14-pin*
                    *Homemade Suitcase Wire Feeder
                    *HF-251D-1
                    *WC-1S & Spoolmatic 1
                    PakMaster 100XL
                    Marquette "Star Jet" 21-110
                    http://www.millerwelds.com/images/sm...rolleyes.png?2

Comment

Originally posted by duaneb55 View Post
                      Actually, the earlier Bobcats had 3 output studs too. I have a 225G 'parts' unit with the 3 studs and a three years newer 225G Plus working unit with only 2 and a CV setting on the process selector switch.
                      I pulled up the owner's manual before I posted. I knew the newer Bobcats only had 2 lugs, sounded like his was the older version.

Comment

here's what I have:
                        it's a mid 90's model bobcat225g plus(onan engine) and a 8vs suitcase feeder
                        I have the positve(or electrode) hooked to the feeder
                        I have the negative(work clamp) hooked to the work(steel to be welded)
                        I have the small negative clamp from the feeder hooked to the work
                        the process switch which has -wire, +wire, -dc, +dc, and ac set to -wire
                        the coarse amperage set to the wire setting which is 17-28 volts
                        the fine adjustment cranked up to 10
                        I am using .035 solid wire(always kept in a drier)
                        there is a hi lo switch for the feed speed that is set to low
                        the wire speed is rated as a percent and is set to 50
                        the cv/cc switch on the feeder set to cv
                        using straight co2 set at 20cfh
                        25ft no. 2 negative cable
                        50ft no. 2 positive cable
                        welding 3/16 to 1/4 mild steel

funny how you can go set all that and not even think about it but it's hard to remember it when your writing it down.
                        Bobcat225g plus
                        8VS suitcase feeder
                        Syncrowave SD180
                        Lincoln SP100 mig
                        14x40 engine lathe
                        bridgeport mill

Comment

here's what I have:
                          it's a mid 90's model bobcat225g plus(onan engine) and a 8vs suitcase feeder
                          I have the positve(or electrode) hooked to the feeder
                          I have the negative(work clamp) hooked to the work(steel to be welded)
                          I have the small negative clamp from the feeder hooked to the work
                          the process switch which has -wire, +wire, -dc, +dc, and ac set to -wire
                          the coarse amperage set to the wire setting which is 17-28 volts
                          the fine adjustment cranked up to 10
                          I am using .035 solid wire(always kept in a drier)
                          there is a hi lo switch for the feed speed that is set to low
                          the wire speed is rated as a percent and is set to 50
                          the cv/cc switch on the feeder set to cv
                          using straight co2 set at 20cfh
                          25ft no. 2 negative cable
                          50ft no. 2 positive cable
                          welding 3/16 to 1/4 mild steel

funny how you can go set all that and not even think about it but it's hard to remember it when your writing it down.

It's connected correctly But Your wire speed is not set correctly. set to low and 50% thats about 175 IPM. way to low. I'd Set it to the hi range and dial it in from there. But If your voltage setting is correct you're running way to hot. Voltage should be around 18-22 volts and wire feed should be around 350 to 450 depending on the volts. which would be about 50% on High

Crank up the wire feed until it bottoms out in the puddle then back it off a bit

And don't worry about trying to remember all this stuff it will become like second nature to you.

But a handy little gadget it the miller weld calculators
                          Last edited by kcstott; 04-11-2010, 02:22 PM.
                          Miller Syncrowave 200 W/Radiator 1A & water cooled torch
                          Millermatic 252 on the wish list
                          Bridgeport Mill W/ 2 axis CNC control
                          South bend lathe 10LX40
                          K.O. Lee surface grinder 6X18
                          Over 20 years as a Machinist Toolmaker
                          A TWO CAR garage full of tools and a fridge full of beer
                          Auto shades are for rookies
                          www.KLStottlemyer.com

Comment

kcstott....I tried the wire speed just about every position there is....see the problem is that it doesn't puddle...just makes a turd on top of the steel. I don't really understand the coarse adjustment. it has 4 settings (1) V17-28 that is colored blue the other three are colored gray (2) A50-100 (3) A70-150 (4) A85-225 and the fine adjustment is V/A 1-10....so is there only one setting for wirefeed?
                            Last edited by flatbroke; 04-11-2010, 02:57 PM.
                            Bobcat225g plus
                            8VS suitcase feeder
                            Syncrowave SD180
                            Lincoln SP100 mig
                            14x40 engine lathe
                            bridgeport mill

Comment

kcstott....I tried the wire speed just about every position there is....see the problem is that it doesn't puddle...just makes a turd on top of the steel. I don't really understand the coarse adjustment. it has 4 settings (1) V17-28 that is colored blue the other three are colored gray (2) A50-100 (3) A70-150 (4) A85-225 and the fine adjustment is V/A 1-10....so is there only one setting for wirefeed?
                              Running solid wire, you should have it set to "wire +"

Other than that, KC's correct about the volts/WFS.

22 Volts/ 320-340 IPM (50% of the hi side)

Keep us posted.

Comment

Working...
                              X