Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

The forum is currently undergoing maintenance and is in a 'read-only' mode for the time being. Sorry for the inconvenience.

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

plasma cut eye protetection

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• plasma cut eye protetection

Hi guys, did anybody know certainly about what kind of eye protection is needed for Plasma Cut. Thanx

the manual that came with my Cutmaster 52 said to use a shade 8 filter.

Comment

If you're going to cut a fair bit like that,Hypertherm makes a shield that is clear on the bottom and a #6 for the top half.This way,your whole face is protected from splash back,not just you eyes.And it makes it quick to go from cutting to grinding parts,no time waisted changing shields.You can also buy one that has #8 for the top.The $40 CDN i paid is cheap to protect all that prettyness
      Frank
      Last edited by Frank Motoweld; 03-14-2010, 08:08 PM.

Comment

If I'm only doing a few cuts at a time i wear shade 5 safety glasses. If I need to cut a lot I have the Hypertherm Face sheild. It sounds like the shield described above. Mine has a shade 6 and i believe you can get it with a shade 8. A AD welding hood works well if you can adjust the shade low enough.

Comment

I use a Sellstrom full face shield it has a #8 flip up on the unit. If you need glasses to read or to see up close this is the way to go. I picked up mine on line from Sears#009-20685 just under $50 bucks to the door. ck out www.sellstrom.com for ther info.

Comment

Here is the link to another thread on the subject
            The hyperthrem and the Sellstrom unit are the same.

Comment

I have a Selstrom helmet but I also use my Harbor Freight auto darkening lid turned all the way down. It's a little dark at 9, but more comfortable on longer jobs and I'm not switching back and forth between headgear.

Comment

I just use the auto helmet. It a #3 shade when not activated, and a #8 at the lowest when activated. I try to keep my head positioned where the helmet doesn't get triggered. It's easier to see that way. The helmet protects from splatter well enough.

Comment

Working...
                X
                Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.