Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Welding positions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Welding positions

    I know there is positions like 5G and F2 ect. That tells you the position and parent metal configurations. But my question is can it be welded with any kind of process?
    Miller Maxstar 150 STL
    Miller Millermatic Passport Plus
    Thermal Dynamics Dragun Plasma Cutter

    Protect your seccond ammendment rights! Join the NRA!

  • #2
    Originally posted by welder_guy View Post
    I know there is positions like 5G and F2 ect. That tells you the position and parent metal configurations. But my question is can it be welded with any kind of process?
    The position designations you mention tell nothing about the parent metal.
    The position designations tell you,well, postions.


    Griff

    Comment


    • #3
      G = groove joint
      F = fillet joint
      R = with restricter plate (for pipe)

      1 = plate flat, or pipe laying down and rolling
      2 = plate horizontal, or pipe standing up
      3 = plate vertical
      4 = plate overhead
      5 = pipe, but i forget the position, i think laying down not rolling?
      6 = pipe at an angle, no rolling

      You can use just about any process in any position, except spray transfer mig, which is only useful in the flat and horizontal positions due to excessive puddle fluidity. Pulsed spray transfer mig can be used in all positions though, with the right settings.

      Not all stick electrodes are suitable for all positions. E7024 is for flat/horizontal only. The 3rd digit designates the position. 1 = all position, 2 = limited position.
      Last edited by Desertrider33; 03-09-2010, 08:57 AM.
      Millermatic350P/Python, MillermaticReach/Q300
      Millermatic175
      MillermaticPassport/Q300
      HTP MIG200
      PowCon 300SM, MK Cobramatic
      ThermalArc 185ACDC, Dynaflux Tig'r, CK-20
      DialarcHF, Radiator-1
      Hypertherm PowerMax 380
      Purox oxy/ace
      Jackson EQC
      -F350 CrewCab 4x4
      -LoadNGo utility bed
      -Bobcat 250NT
      -PassportPlus/Q300
      -XMT304/Optima/Spoolmatic15A
      -Suitcase8RC/Q400
      -Suitcase12RC/Q300
      -Smith oxy/propane
      -Jackson EQC

      Comment


      • #4
        see: sperkoengineering.com/html/Position.ppt

        (from http://www.sperkoengineering.com/html/asme.htm)
        Last edited by envano; 03-25-2010, 01:30 PM.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Desertrider33 View Post
          G = groove joint
          F = fillet joint
          R = with restricter plate (for pipe)

          1 = plate flat, or pipe laying down and rolling
          2 = plate horizontal, or pipe standing up
          3 = plate vertical
          4 = plate overhead
          5 = pipe, but i forget the position, i think laying down not rolling?
          6 = pipe at an angle, no rolling

          5G is a horizontal pipe, vertical weld, no roll.
          6G the angle is 45 degrees
          Last edited by DamageInc537; 03-09-2010, 04:44 PM.
          American By Birth, Union by Choice!

          4th generation Pipefitters LU 537

          SpeedGlass 9000x Hood
          Miller Elite Titanium 9400 Hood

          Comment


          • #6
            Welding positions, on your back, sitting down, underneath, up on ladder.

            Comment


            • #7
              pulsed spray

              Originally posted by Desertrider33 View Post
              G = groove joint
              F = fillet joint
              R = with restricter plate (for pipe)

              1 = plate flat, or pipe laying down and rolling
              2 = plate horizontal, or pipe standing up
              3 = plate vertical
              4 = plate overhead
              5 = pipe, but i forget the position, i think laying down not rolling?
              6 = pipe at an angle, no rolling

              You can use just about any process in any position, except spray transfer mig, which is only useful in the flat and horizontal positions due to excessive puddle fluidity. Pulsed spray transfer mig can be used in all positions though, with the right settings.

              Not all stick electrodes are suitable for all positions. E7024 is for flat/horizontal only. The 3rd digit designates the position. 1 = all position, 2 = limited position.
              This is a little off topic. I have a mm 350p but I have never used pulse mode. How would you compare out of position welding in pulse vs short circuit? Much of the welding I do is repair so it can be in any position and on any condition iron 16ga up through 1/2 inch or heavier. I am using straight co2 and .035 or .045 70s-6 wire. Guess what I am really trying to decide is should I go to the trouble of getting some 85/15 or 90/10 gas for pulse. Straight co2 or 75/25 are easily available but that's about it unless I special order it and drive quite a ways to get it.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Sberry View Post
                Welding positions, on your back, sitting down, underneath, up on ladder.
                you forgot in a mud and water filled trench
                American By Birth, Union by Choice!

                4th generation Pipefitters LU 537

                SpeedGlass 9000x Hood
                Miller Elite Titanium 9400 Hood

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by roylowell View Post
                  This is a little off topic. I have a mm 350p but I have never used pulse mode. How would you compare out of position welding in pulse vs short circuit? Much of the welding I do is repair so it can be in any position and on any condition iron 16ga up through 1/2 inch or heavier. I am using straight co2 and .035 or .045 70s-6 wire. Guess what I am really trying to decide is should I go to the trouble of getting some 85/15 or 90/10 gas for pulse. Straight co2 or 75/25 are easily available but that's about it unless I special order it and drive quite a ways to get it.
                  So your sales people managed to sell you the best machine they could but managed to drop the ball when it came to being able to even use it??
                  Please don't take this as if I am being mean spirited but why did you buy the 350P in the first place ?? Pulse is what it is all about. Otherwise you should have got the plain jane MM350.
                  To put it in real world terms....sure you can do just fine with just straight mig and turn out great work. We have done that forever. GMAW-P is just something that seems to me to be a bit easier to get better results with as far as clean spatter free work goes. I am thinking I find filling gaps easier as well.
                  It is sorta like having a Dynasty instead of a Syncrowave. More buzzers and bells but in the end it is really how good of a machine operator you are. But that said a good operator can get better results from a better machine.

                  www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
                  Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
                  MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
                  Miller Dynasty 280 with AC independent expansion card
                  Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

                  Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
                  Miller 30-A Spoolgun
                  Miller WC-115-A
                  Miller Spectrum 300
                  Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
                  Miller Digital Elite Titanium 9400

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by FusionKing View Post
                    So your sales people managed to sell you the best machine they could but managed to drop the ball when it came to being able to even use it??
                    Please don't take this as if I am being mean spirited but why did you buy the 350P in the first place ?? Pulse is what it is all about. Otherwise you should have got the plain jane MM350.
                    To put it in real world terms....sure you can do just fine with just straight mig and turn out great work. We have done that forever. GMAW-P is just something that seems to me to be a bit easier to get better results with as far as clean spatter free work goes. I am thinking I find filling gaps easier as well.
                    It is sorta like having a Dynasty instead of a Syncrowave. More buzzers and bells but in the end it is really how good of a machine operator you are. But that said a good operator can get better results from a better machine.
                    I bought it on the internet. My son needed a welder so I gave him my mm250 and got a 350p because I wanted one. From what I've read it's supposed to be quit a welder. I've got an aluminum trailer so I'll probably get a push-pull gun and learn aluminum some day. I've read that spray transfer won't work out of position but I haven't found out much about pulse.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Welding positions

                      Welding positions are as follows:

                      1) Comfortable
                      2) Uncomfortable

                      But lets Honest its the guy next to you that get Position 1.
                      Just cause I ain't old don't mean I ain't old school.

                      "Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity."
                      -Gen. George Smith Patton, Jr-

                      If you don't like the sparks and flame you can always be a desk jocky pencil pusher.

                      You soul better belong to jesus because your @$$ belongs to me.
                      -MEGADETH-

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X