Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Welding positions

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Welding positions

    I know there is positions like 5G and F2 ect. That tells you the position and parent metal configurations. But my question is can it be welded with any kind of process?

  • #2
    Originally posted by welder_guy View Post
    I know there is positions like 5G and F2 ect. That tells you the position and parent metal configurations. But my question is can it be welded with any kind of process?
    The position designations you mention tell nothing about the parent metal.
    The position designations tell you,well, postions.


    Griff

    Comment


    • #3
      G = groove joint
      F = fillet joint
      R = with restricter plate (for pipe)

      1 = plate flat, or pipe laying down and rolling
      2 = plate horizontal, or pipe standing up
      3 = plate vertical
      4 = plate overhead
      5 = pipe, but i forget the position, i think laying down not rolling?
      6 = pipe at an angle, no rolling

      You can use just about any process in any position, except spray transfer mig, which is only useful in the flat and horizontal positions due to excessive puddle fluidity. Pulsed spray transfer mig can be used in all positions though, with the right settings.

      Not all stick electrodes are suitable for all positions. E7024 is for flat/horizontal only. The 3rd digit designates the position. 1 = all position, 2 = limited position.
      Last edited by Desertrider33; 03-09-2010, 07:57 AM.

      Comment


      • #4
        see: sperkoengineering.com/html/Position.ppt

        (from http://www.sperkoengineering.com/html/asme.htm)
        Last edited by envano; 03-25-2010, 01:30 PM.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Desertrider33 View Post
          G = groove joint
          F = fillet joint
          R = with restricter plate (for pipe)

          1 = plate flat, or pipe laying down and rolling
          2 = plate horizontal, or pipe standing up
          3 = plate vertical
          4 = plate overhead
          5 = pipe, but i forget the position, i think laying down not rolling?
          6 = pipe at an angle, no rolling

          5G is a horizontal pipe, vertical weld, no roll.
          6G the angle is 45 degrees
          Last edited by DamageInc537; 03-09-2010, 03:44 PM.

          Comment


          • #6
            Welding positions, on your back, sitting down, underneath, up on ladder.

            Comment


            • #7
              pulsed spray

              Originally posted by Desertrider33 View Post
              G = groove joint
              F = fillet joint
              R = with restricter plate (for pipe)

              1 = plate flat, or pipe laying down and rolling
              2 = plate horizontal, or pipe standing up
              3 = plate vertical
              4 = plate overhead
              5 = pipe, but i forget the position, i think laying down not rolling?
              6 = pipe at an angle, no rolling

              You can use just about any process in any position, except spray transfer mig, which is only useful in the flat and horizontal positions due to excessive puddle fluidity. Pulsed spray transfer mig can be used in all positions though, with the right settings.

              Not all stick electrodes are suitable for all positions. E7024 is for flat/horizontal only. The 3rd digit designates the position. 1 = all position, 2 = limited position.
              This is a little off topic. I have a mm 350p but I have never used pulse mode. How would you compare out of position welding in pulse vs short circuit? Much of the welding I do is repair so it can be in any position and on any condition iron 16ga up through 1/2 inch or heavier. I am using straight co2 and .035 or .045 70s-6 wire. Guess what I am really trying to decide is should I go to the trouble of getting some 85/15 or 90/10 gas for pulse. Straight co2 or 75/25 are easily available but that's about it unless I special order it and drive quite a ways to get it.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Sberry View Post
                Welding positions, on your back, sitting down, underneath, up on ladder.
                you forgot in a mud and water filled trench

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by roylowell View Post
                  This is a little off topic. I have a mm 350p but I have never used pulse mode. How would you compare out of position welding in pulse vs short circuit? Much of the welding I do is repair so it can be in any position and on any condition iron 16ga up through 1/2 inch or heavier. I am using straight co2 and .035 or .045 70s-6 wire. Guess what I am really trying to decide is should I go to the trouble of getting some 85/15 or 90/10 gas for pulse. Straight co2 or 75/25 are easily available but that's about it unless I special order it and drive quite a ways to get it.
                  So your sales people managed to sell you the best machine they could but managed to drop the ball when it came to being able to even use it??
                  Please don't take this as if I am being mean spirited but why did you buy the 350P in the first place ?? Pulse is what it is all about. Otherwise you should have got the plain jane MM350.
                  To put it in real world terms....sure you can do just fine with just straight mig and turn out great work. We have done that forever. GMAW-P is just something that seems to me to be a bit easier to get better results with as far as clean spatter free work goes. I am thinking I find filling gaps easier as well.
                  It is sorta like having a Dynasty instead of a Syncrowave. More buzzers and bells but in the end it is really how good of a machine operator you are. But that said a good operator can get better results from a better machine.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by FusionKing View Post
                    So your sales people managed to sell you the best machine they could but managed to drop the ball when it came to being able to even use it??
                    Please don't take this as if I am being mean spirited but why did you buy the 350P in the first place ?? Pulse is what it is all about. Otherwise you should have got the plain jane MM350.
                    To put it in real world terms....sure you can do just fine with just straight mig and turn out great work. We have done that forever. GMAW-P is just something that seems to me to be a bit easier to get better results with as far as clean spatter free work goes. I am thinking I find filling gaps easier as well.
                    It is sorta like having a Dynasty instead of a Syncrowave. More buzzers and bells but in the end it is really how good of a machine operator you are. But that said a good operator can get better results from a better machine.
                    I bought it on the internet. My son needed a welder so I gave him my mm250 and got a 350p because I wanted one. From what I've read it's supposed to be quit a welder. I've got an aluminum trailer so I'll probably get a push-pull gun and learn aluminum some day. I've read that spray transfer won't work out of position but I haven't found out much about pulse.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Welding positions

                      Welding positions are as follows:

                      1) Comfortable
                      2) Uncomfortable

                      But lets Honest its the guy next to you that get Position 1.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X
                      Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.