Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

The forum is currently undergoing maintenance and is in a 'read-only' mode for the time being. Sorry for the inconvenience.

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Written Welding Test

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Written Welding Test

Hay, I'm in skills USA down here in Georgia. i got a test written tomorrow to see who out of my region gets to go to the state level and actually weld, which don't make no since but whatever I just want to win. My question is what exactly is on a welding test the processes and stick, mig, tig, O/A, and blueprint. What can I expect and my biggest question what are written test like the unions use and other contractors?
    thanks

I took a 3 hour one written by the company i work for...Bob

Comment

Written Weld Tests

Written Tests for welding?
      I never did understand that one...

All the ones I have seen lately are heavy on welding symbols & safety.
      Make sure you know your fire extinguishers, how to strip down or setup OA (by the book how 2 step by step). Difference in CV CC machines and the Volt amp curve diagrams. What are low Hydrogen electrodes and there flux designators. know your welding (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 & 1 rolled) positions. The different types of welds (there are only 3 some places 4 - they are fillet, groove & plug) How to store low hi, temps, F4 designation, etc. What is a F3 electrode. GMAW transfer methods ie. globular.

Good Luck

Comment

We won region 7 in Georgia today. I was sick as a dog but I have to keep on keeping on. We'll be going to state competition in 2 weeks, i hear there test is extremely hard, but I'll study and pray, thats about all you can do.
        Angus
        P.S. the test had alot on rigging and safety but not to much on actual welding. Where can i go to study rigging and the like?

Comment

what were the rigging questions like? i'm thinking depending on the questions the best place is usually field experiance.

Comment

Out here in California the Iron workers and Pipe fitters get really heavy into rigging. Center of balance, knots, where the weight is on different equipment. That's what I've been told and observed, I'm a sheet metal worker and during my apprenticeship, rigging was very brief.

Comment

Originally posted by SJgunguy24 View Post
              Out here in California the Iron workers and Pipe fitters get really heavy into rigging. Center of balance, knots, where the weight is on different equipment.
              also hand signals.

Comment

Originally posted by SJgunguy24 View Post
                Out here in California the Iron workers and Pipe fitters get really heavy into rigging. Center of balance, knots, where the weight is on different equipment. That's what I've been told and observed, I'm a sheet metal worker and during my apprenticeship, rigging was very brief.
                It's the same across north America lots of rigging, safety and material handling.

Comment

Yea there was a bunch of questions about the rating of latters, and also eye bolts, chain falls, and pulleys and all

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.