Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cheap Angle Notcher

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Cheap Angle Notcher

    I am trying to figure out a way to make notches in angle iron. I know people on this website will have a excellent solution to this.
    Brazos

    PS. My only solution is a hack saw.

  • #2
    What size angle iron? What size notch and how many?
    Nick
    Miller 252 Mig
    Miller Cricket XL
    Millermatic 150 Mig
    Miller Syncrowave 200 Tig
    2-O/A outfits
    Jet Lathe and Mill
    Jet 7x12 horz/vert band saw
    DeWalt Multi Cutter metal saw
    Century 50 Amp Plasma Cutter
    20 ton electric/hydraulic vertical press
    Propane Forge
    60" X 60" router/plasma table

    www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTu7wicVCmQ
    Vist my site: www.nixstuff.com
    and check out some of my ironwork and other stuff

    Comment


    • #3
      Notches

      Originally posted by Brazos View Post
      I am trying to figure out a way to make notches in angle iron. I know people on this website will have a excellent solution to this.
      Brazos

      PS. My only solution is a hack saw.
      Brazos in the Pecos, Just kidding. Hey porta bads make quick work of this task for me. But Oxy-fuel, plasma, cutting wheels all work. Depends how many you gotta make and how accurate they need to be.
      Mustangs Forever!

      Miller equipment.

      Comment


      • #4
        Brazos, you should be able to find an old, manual Whitney/Pexto unit on eBay for under $300. Sometimes they are grouped with a shear and bender. They can do .25 x 2 x 2 mild steel angle. I used to have a set but sold it a while back, as I didn't really have an application.

        I believe they still make them new if yer feeling spendy.

        Good luck!
        Maxstar 200DX
        Maxstar 300DX
        Dynasty 200DX
        Passport
        Spectrum 701
        LMSW-52 spot welder

        Comment


        • #5
          2x2x1/8 is the most common size I would be notching. I was hoping for some kind of magical solution something that would not take up much room in my shop. I guess I will check out a portaband.
          Brazos

          Oh yea. Thanks

          Comment


          • #6
            How many + how accurate

            The Portaband will be more versatile, although the notcher I suggested is repeatable and takes up the space of a heavy vise, or a pumpkin. You just need space to pull a handle 360 degrees. No electricity required.

            Good luck!
            Maxstar 200DX
            Maxstar 300DX
            Dynasty 200DX
            Passport
            Spectrum 701
            LMSW-52 spot welder

            Comment


            • #7
              Thanks. Man I'm glad I found this website. You could read for five days straight.
              Brazos

              Comment


              • #8
                Angle grinder with a 6" .045" cutoff wheel.

                I prefer it to anything out there except an ironworker.

                The cutoff wheel is clean, fast & highly precise. No slag or dross to clean up & by far the cheapest method out there VS a hacksaw.

                For what you're doing, unless you had an ironworker (you wouldn't be asking this question if you did), the cutoff wheel is going to beat anything else hands down in cost, productivity, accuracy & speed.

                Portabands are nice, but expensive. No fun holding one vertically to make end cuts in angle either.

                IMHO of course.
                So you're telling me...You're not nostalgic? Then, give me another word for it......

                Comment


                • #9
                  I use a 4 1/2" cutoff disk in my grinder on almost everything I build now. It's very handy for trimming and cutting stuff that would be hard or impossible to get into a stationary saw. Sait disks are good.
                  Jim

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I have 2 6" Bosch grinders and have been using the 6" x .045 cut-off wheels.
                    They are very wicked indeed. They are easily bent and exploded by inexperienced
                    hands tho. I have a friend who has splattered more in the last month than I will in my entire life.

                    www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
                    Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
                    MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
                    Miller Dynasty 280 with AC independent expansion card
                    Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

                    Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
                    Miller 30-A Spoolgun
                    Miller WC-115-A
                    Miller Spectrum 300
                    Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
                    Miller Digital Elite Titanium 9400

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by 7A749 View Post

                      For what you're doing, unless you had an ironworker (you wouldn't be asking this question if you did), the cutoff wheel is going to beat anything else hands down in cost, productivity, accuracy & speed.



                      IMHO of course.

                      Nope, nope, and nope. A Makita (or other brand of choice but the Makita is currently the best on the market and has a far better table/clamp) carbide blade saw will absolutely slaughter a guy with a cutoff wheel in speed/production.
                      Nothing else comes close without spending several thousand dollars, and even then you aren't whipping the carbide saw in any significant way.
                      Even a hand held skill saw with a carbide metal cutting blade will destroy the production of a grinder with a cut off wheel.
                      The small, cardide blade saws have been a revolution in the money making welding world, if they are capable of the cut you need they are almost always the fastest, cheapest road to hard money riches.
                      Mine has made over 30,000 very fast/easy cuts and shows no sign of slowing down. If it smoked today it would of made us a ton, and I go buy another one.

                      JTMcC.
                      Some days you eat the bear. And some days the bear eats you.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Skill saws

                        Originally posted by JTMcC View Post
                        Nope, nope, and nope. A Makita (or other brand of choice but the Makita is currently the best on the market and has a far better table/clamp) carbide blade saw will absolutely slaughter a guy with a cutoff wheel in speed/production.
                        Nothing else comes close without spending several thousand dollars, and even then you aren't whipping the carbide saw in any significant way.
                        Even a hand held skill saw with a carbide metal cutting blade will destroy the production of a grinder with a cut off wheel.
                        The small, cardide blade saws have been a revolution in the money making welding world, if they are capable of the cut you need they are almost always the fastest, cheapest road to hard money riches.
                        Mine has made over 30,000 very fast/easy cuts and shows no sign of slowing down. If it smoked today it would of made us a ton, and I go buy another one.

                        JTMcC.
                        We use Skill saws with a carbide blade to split pipe that we use for sleeving on Re-habs. It does work really well & fast. Run down your cut with a 9'' then tack on your backing strap and she's ready for the hole. So easy a welder can do it.
                        '08 F-350
                        Vantage 400
                        SA-250
                        SA-200
                        Invertec V350Pro
                        Invertec V205T-AC/DC

                        Miller 12VS suitcase
                        Miller spectrum 2050

                        Pipe beveler's
                        Track torch

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by JTMcC View Post
                          Nope, nope, and nope. A Makita (or other brand of choice but the Makita is currently the best on the market and has a far better table/clamp) carbide blade saw will absolutely slaughter a guy with a cutoff wheel in speed/production.
                          Nothing else comes close without spending several thousand dollars, and even then you aren't whipping the carbide saw in any significant way.
                          Even a hand held skill saw with a carbide metal cutting blade will destroy the production of a grinder with a cut off wheel.
                          The small, cardide blade saws have been a revolution in the money making welding world, if they are capable of the cut you need they are almost always the fastest, cheapest road to hard money riches.
                          Mine has made over 30,000 very fast/easy cuts and shows no sign of slowing down. If it smoked today it would of made us a ton, and I go buy another one.

                          JTMcC.
                          Yup, yup & yup...

                          If I could think of everything, I wouldn't be here.

                          Good thing that job's already filled.
                          Last edited by 7A749; 02-22-2010, 09:44 PM.
                          So you're telling me...You're not nostalgic? Then, give me another word for it......

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by 7A749 View Post
                            Yup, yup & yup...

                            If I could think of everything, I wouldn't be here.

                            Good thing that job's already filled.

                            Man that was a big edit job you did after writing a presumpuous post assuming many things about me. Why'd you take it down, you spent considerable time insulting me, and now no one gets to see it? You're a bus driver right? Maybe that gives you the final word on weld prep, maybe not.

                            I'm pretty sure you don't have a clue about me but nevertheless, since the nosedive in residential construction the pawn shops around here are overflowing with high grade skill saws for next to nothing. Add the aforementioned carbide blade and you're cutting fast, accurate, clean and dirt cheap.
                            Cheap is a relative term. A $500 saw is a small amount when it saves you large chunks of time on a hard money job. And it's not even much for these hobby welders considering what they have tigs, migs torches and stick machines, bottle, gages and tools.

                            JTMcC.

                            I'll add that a carbide saw (in whatever form) is considerably safer to use in the long run that a 6" wafer disc on a grinder. Those will get to, and thru, bone faster than anything we use. Specially for someone who doesn't use grinders every day.
                            Last edited by JTMcC; 02-22-2010, 11:23 PM.
                            Some days you eat the bear. And some days the bear eats you.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by JTMcC View Post
                              Man that was a big edit job you did after writing a presumpuous post assuming many things about me. Why'd you take it down, you spent considerable time insulting me, and now no one gets to see it? You're a bus driver right? Maybe that gives you the final word on weld prep, maybe not.

                              I'm pretty sure you don't have a clue about me but nevertheless, since the nosedive in residential construction the pawn shops around here are overflowing with high grade skill saws for next to nothing. Add the aforementioned carbide blade and you're cutting fast, accurate, clean and dirt cheap.
                              Cheap is a relative term. A $500 saw is a small amount when it saves you large chunks of time on a hard money job. And it's not even much for these hobby welders considering what they have tigs, migs torches and stick machines, bottle, gages and tools.

                              JTMcC.

                              I'll add that a carbide saw (in whatever form) is considerably safer to use in the long run that a 6" wafer disc on a grinder. Those will get to, and thru, bone faster than anything we use. Specially for someone who doesn't use grinders every day.
                              Yeah, it sure was.

                              Since I'm not "renting any space in your head", I'm quite surprised you took the time to read it.

                              That gets mighty wore out.

                              The thing that annoys me most about you John, is you never seem to run out of accolades & praise for yourself. You must have some mighty big bicepts with all that patting yourself on the back you do.

                              You're the guy that's been there & done it & lives to tell everyone on the internet about it.

                              Just so you know, I didn't take two seconds to read your response.

                              After all....

                              You're not renting any space in my head either

                              Have a good night.

                              I know I will
                              So you're telling me...You're not nostalgic? Then, give me another word for it......

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X