my Syncrowave 350LX has Trouble

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• my Syncrowave 350LX has Trouble

I have a Syncrowave 350LX Serial # KJ286672.
    Welder welds great when stick welding but when you break the arc and set the stinger down
    Within 10 to 20 seconds the breaker in the breaker box trips.
    Any ideas what may be going wrong with this machine?

What is the breaker size and what amps are you welding at? AC or DC, rod size.....
    a-

Comment

AS Andy said, it's likely that your breaker is too small and not handling the field surge after you break an arc

Comment

my Syncrowave 350LX has Trouble

breaker size dual pole 50
        amps 95
        DC
        rod size 7018 - 3/16

Comment

What does your owners manual recommend for a minimum breaker size?

125A?

Don't just install a larger breaker using the existing wiring. The wiring needs to be sized according to the amp draw.
          Syncrowave 250 DX Tigrunner
          Dynasty 200 DX
          Miller XMT 304 w/714D Feeder & Optima Control
          Miller MM 251 w/Q300 & 30A SG
          Hobart HH187
          Dialarc 250 AC/DC
          Hypertherm PM 600 & 1250
          Wilton 7"x12" bandsaw
          PC Dry Cut Saw, Dewalt Chop Saw
          Milwaukee 8" Metal Cut Saw, Milwaukee Portaband.
          Thermco and Smith (2) Gas Mixers
          More grinders than hands

Comment

Originally posted by SundownIII View Post
            What does your owners manual recommend for a minimum breaker size?

125A?

Don't just install a larger breaker using the existing wiring. The wiring needs to be sized according to the amp draw.
            the max Recommended Circuit Breaker is 150 I dont have a minimum breaker size. the wire is 6 6 6
            600 volts

Comment

I guess you answered your own question then as 50 amps is barely enough power to run a little thunderbolt welder, let alone a biggun 350lx unit.

Comment

50 amps isn't going to cut it. That's like jump starting your car with a lamp cord.
                I'm actually surprised it didn't trip the breaker sometimes when just turning the machine on from the transformer in-rush.

As stated by Sundown, that machine likes over a 100 amp breaker and upsize your primary wire if needed.

Good luck.

A-

Comment

Only 95 Amps?

Originally posted by Hiteker View Post
                  breaker size dual pole 50
                  amps 95
                  DC
                  rod size 7018 - 3/16
                  I'm surprised you even got the rod to light at all

A 3/16" 7018 needs 200-275 amps to keep lit

95 amps is good for a 3/32" 7018 or a 1/8" 6010/11
                  "Bonne journe'e mes amis"

Comment

Originally posted by ASKANDY View Post
                    That's like jump starting your car with a lamp cord.
                    A-
                    lol..........
                    I'm not late...
                    I'm just on Hawaiian Time

Comment

Finding breakers for home fuse boxes with ratings above 100Amps is difficult to do.

As I stated in other posts. 30Amp breaker on a my Dialarc is hit or miss. You make lots of trips to the fuse box because of the startup in-rush. Once you got things going your O.K. as long as you keep a short arc. In TIG mode, at full power, I would expect 30Amp draw from the Dialarc. On a 50 Amp breaker, I have zero problems with the dialarc (but as a stick machine I only use smaller sticks - 150Amps max)

Consider using the foot pedal to break the arc. I don't like leave hot leads lying around, so I use the foot pedal as my remote on/off switch. Just turn the HF off!

As for jumping a car on lamp cord, it can be done, but the cord will get so hot it will melt the insulation. If you have a battery that is only weak, not dead, you can get away with it. Recommend you separate the + and - if you try so that when it melts, it doesn't short the + and -. Back in the days of metal bumpers, you could touch bumpers and make 1/2 your connection that way....
                      Con Fuse!
                      Miller Dynasty 350
                      Millermatic 350P
                      -Spoolmatic 30A

Hypertherm PowerMax 1000G3
                      Miller Multimatic 200 - awesome portable MIG (and stick and TIG)
                      Miller Maxstar 200DX - portable TIG and stick

Comment

Originally posted by con_fuse9 View Post
                        Finding breakers for home fuse boxes with ratings above 100Amps is difficult to do.

As I stated in other posts. 30Amp breaker on a my Dialarc is hit or miss. You make lots of trips to the fuse box because of the startup in-rush. Once you got things going your O.K. as long as you keep a short arc. In TIG mode, at full power, I would expect 30Amp draw from the Dialarc. On a 50 Amp breaker, I have zero problems with the dialarc (but as a stick machine I only use smaller sticks - 150Amps max)

Consider using the foot pedal to break the arc. I don't like leave hot leads lying around, so I use the foot pedal as my remote on/off switch. Just turn the HF off!

As for jumping a car on lamp cord, it can be done, but the cord will get so hot it will melt the insulation. If you have a battery that is only weak, not dead, you can get away with it. Recommend you separate the + and - if you try so that when it melts, it doesn't short the + and -. Back in the days of metal bumpers, you could touch bumpers and make 1/2 your connection that way....
                        Home Depot, Lowes, Locke, Grainger Supply, or All American Breaker (California) have 100amp+ breakers for the major brands of breaker panels. If you have one of the old Federal-Pacific panels you may be out of luck.

Don't know what to tell you if you actually have a "home fuse box".

Griff
                        Last edited by griff01; 02-12-2010, 09:05 AM.

Comment

Working...
                        X