Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brand new dynasty 200 dx up in smoke

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brand new dynasty 200 dx up in smoke

I am newly registered to this site, but had checked it out when trying to decide which tig to buy. I decided on a dynasty 200 dx over the lincoln invertec 200. I received my new welder on thursday and with a long weekend figured I would start getting used to the new machine. I got everything set up double checked everything plugged it in and nothing happened. After about 20 seconds smoke started slowly rolling out of the case and I heard a loud pop, turned off the machine killed the breaker and unplugged it. So much for using over the weekend.

I'm sorry to hear that. I guess you'll find out how good Miller's service is.

Comment

That is one reason why I bought the Miller, but I didn't expect it to go down as soon as it was plugged in. I will get to use it eventually. Then the fun will begin.

Comment

I also would be smoking if that happened to me

Comment

Originally posted by onefishnfool View Post
          I am newly registered to this site, but had checked it out when trying to decide which tig to buy. I decided on a dynasty 200 dx over the lincoln invertec 200. I received my new welder on thursday and with a long weekend figured I would start getting used to the new machine. I got everything set up double checked everything plugged it in and nothing happened. After about 20 seconds smoke started slowly rolling out of the case and I heard a loud pop, turned off the machine killed the breaker and unplugged it. So much for using over the weekend.

SO.......How did you wire it? Or did you do the plug installation?

Comment

That is such a bummer.

When you get it up and running you are going to really enjoy it.

Comment

I used a plug, into an outlet that was installed for my compressor by a master electrician and verified that all wire colors coordinated between the outlet and the plug going onto the welder. I took the plug off of my other tig, that worked fine in that outlet and was wired the same way. The compressor has been on that circuit for 3 years with out issue.
              Last edited by onefishnfool; 01-16-2010, 06:32 PM.

Comment

up in smoke

Where did you buy the welder from? I just got mine Monday, according to most posts, this model is the top of the line, serious welder. To have one for home and hobby type stuff is pretty cool. I hope your supplier will just exchange it for a new one without sending for repairs. Fred

Comment

Yep that was unfortunate, the womping noise was the input Mod blowing up.

Before going further, I'd really suggest rechecking your input power, and power to the welder.

Electrician or not. Even they make numerous mistakes when hooking up Welders if they are un familiar with them. I get numerous calls from customers with new machines that either smoke, or don't work just after some "Electrician" has just wired them up.

Comment

I have to agree with Cruizer on this one. I'm much more inclined to suspect improper installation than a faulty machine. Not saying it can't happen, but it would be extremely rare.

Did the machine show any signs of damage in shipment?

If you received the machine on Thursday and "hooked it up", what was the response from your retailer on Friday? What did Miller Tech Support have to say?

I'm not saying this couldn't happen, just that the whole post by onefishnfool seems a little "fishy" to me.

He states that he "researched the machine" on this board prior to purchasing. Really. Why didn't he join at that time? Is he implying he got all his questions answered by using the "search" feature and didn't need to ask ANY questions?

Just seems a little strange to me that his first "course of action" would be to post on a board where he wasn't even a member. My first call would have been to the retailer and the second to Miller.

I'm definitely not saying that it's the case here, but I wouldn't put it past some of the "Chinese Importers" to post such a story so that they can say, "Well, it happens to Miller too. Check out this posting".

Hopefully, we'll get the whole story as time goes on. I'm sure, if there was a problem with the machine, Miller will make it right.

Edit. Is the Invertec 200 by Lincoln a new machine? I'm aware of an Invertec 205 but never heard of a 200. How much real research was done? Just another tidbit to make me question this post.
                    Last edited by SundownIII; 01-17-2010, 12:40 PM.

Comment

Sounds like improper hook-up to me.

I agree, if it does turn out to be a problem with the machine and not with the hook-up. Miller will fix it. If it's the hook-up, you might be 'on your own'...

Comment

It could just as easily be a faulty component, don't jump to conclusions. I was in his shoes with a VFD recently, the manufacture tried to claim faulty hookup but still sent me a refund, I purchased a replacement hooked it up exactly like the bad unit which smoked up like this welder and have been rewarded with no problems what so ever. Regardless before I hooked up the new unit I made absolutely sure there were no problems with the power, amps, voltage, ect. In the vfd it was a bad MOV "metal oxide varesistor" a surge suppressor.

Good luck, you should be fine if you in fact did not fry the thing yourself if so you will be sure you don't next time.

Comment

Verify your input wiring, if it's wrong correct it. Without explaining what happened to it, have it repaired at your local Miller service depot. I assure you they won't care much as to what caused the problem. Most of them never tend to discover the route cause as Miller only allows so much time to find & R/R the damaged component.

Comment

burned dynasty

Just wondering how many amp service the plug was?

Comment

Originally posted by metalbender View Post
                              Just wondering how many amp service the plug was?
                              I don't think this matter much as the voltage.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.