Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

LIVE TRAP PLANS for RACCOONS/Animals

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LIVE TRAP PLANS for RACCOONS/Animals

[B]I am looking to build a few live traps for raccoons and other animals. I was wondering if anyone has any plans, ideas, advice, instructions, pictures, etc.
    Please post or email me.
    Thanks For Your Help and Time!!
    TROP
    jstropea@yahoo.com
    [/B

Risky business!

I was thinking of looking into something like that so solve my garbage getting attacked problem.The danger for me is that it's not always the raccoon...sometimes it's the skunk.With my luck,i think you can all guess how this would backfire
    Frank

Comment

.22 hornet has always worked for me

Comment

Originally posted by kcstott View Post
        .22 hornet has always worked for me
        +1 great little round...Bob

Comment

Or if you are worried about clean up get a .220 swift. Won't be enough left to to soak up in a sponge

Comment

I can't get the fool things to go into a trap...not even with a chicken quarter in it. I just started using a .22 air rifle a year and a half ago and its worked better than any trap. 50 kills and counting.

Comment

Are you guys saying with all the smarts you have collectively....killing is the only answer?

Comment

Its called animal management. What do you think the county animal control officers do with them?? They shoot them. Life outside the city is a tad different than most cityfolk think. I have lost 14 cats to coons in the last year and a half. Coons are very destructive pests and are treated as such. I tried trapping them for 6 months. It just doesn't work. They adapt too quickly. This way works.

Comment

Best trap...

Originally posted by TROP View Post
                  [B]I am looking to build a few live traps for raccoons and other animals. I was wondering if anyone has any plans, ideas, advice, instructions, pictures, etc.
                  Please post or email me.
                  Thanks For Your Help and Time!!
                  TROP
                  jstropea@yahoo.com
                  [/B
                  Best live trap I have found is very easy to make. .17 hmr varmit round.
                  Kevin

Comment

Originally posted by DDA52 View Post
                    Its called animal management. What do you think the county animal control officers do with them?? They shoot them. Life outside the city is a tad different than most cityfolk think. I have lost 14 cats to coons in the last year and a half. Coons are very destructive pests and are treated as such. I tried trapping them for 6 months. It just doesn't work. They adapt too quickly. This way works.
                    Here in Ohio the majority of the raccoon population is rabid anyway. In a way it is a more humane end for them than dying from rabies. The state has tried to control the rabies in the coons but last I've heard it wasn't working. I'm not much one on killing anything but in my opinion with the coons sometimes there isn't much of a choice. I have the same problems with the coons in the trash but have gone out several mornings while it is still dark only to see a skunk running away from the trash cans as well.

I found a cure for losing cats to coons, it's pretty simple I don't let my cats out of the house and they don't seem to want to go out either. My oldest cat is 10 now and still very healthy, sometimes a tad slow but otherwise still in good health.

I'm sure by the time you add up your materials and time you'd save money by buying a "Havahart" live trap at your local agricultural supply house. TSC carries them in my area as well as some of the sporting shops.

Comment

Hi TROP,

Here is ebay item from Iron City Trap company.
                      Item No. 290365266836.

www.ironcitytrapcompany.com

I had problems with raccoons who decided to set up house in a friend's attic.
                      They were getting in thru a hole in the attic soffit vent and her kids could hear them chewing on stuff during the night.
                      They also have 2 dogs and 3 cats so "noisy" solutions were out.
                      Kids were having nightmares which made it even more urgent.
                      She tried using 25 lbs of mothballs in the attic with no luck.

So I bought the 5 gallon bucket trap from Iron City and caught all 4 of them in 9 days using peanut butter as bait.
                      Had no idea there were that many.
                      Showed the racoons to the kids to calm their fears and told them I would let the raccons go in a park so they wouldn't worry. Funny how even though the raccoons were giving them nightmares, the kids still didn't want them hurt.

Took them to a park about 12 miles away and told them if they came back I would drop them off in Chinatown in Philly and let them try their luck there. Also gave them each a spot of red spray paint to identify them in case they did manage to find their way back.

Guess they took the hint as it's been over 2 years.
                      Covered the hole with metal plaster lath after I was sure everyone was accounted for.

The trap works very well and is really well built.
                      Simple design with no springs.

Good luck,

Comment

I called Fish & Game quite a few years ago. They definitely don't want to relocate them (coons), and they didn't want me to relocate them. When you relocate them you just create a problem for somebody else. Take them way out in the sticks and they compete for food with the ones already there. Their words. What they wanted was for me to get off the phone and deal with it the way it needed to be dealt with.

Man displaces wild life. Every strip mall that was or gets built, every Wallmart, every subdivision that goes in displaces wildlife and wildlifes food source. There isn't room for both. Why do the people in town think that folks in the country should feed the animals they pushed out?

Life is not a disney movie. Maybe they should all be trapped and hauled back into town so the good townsfolks can take care of them like they should be.

Comment

I want to build a trap not buy a trap

Thanks for everyones ideas and coments. I want to build a trap not buy a trap.
                          Thanks Alot!
                          TROP

Comment

Originally posted by Blondie_486 View Post
                            Here in Ohio the majority of the raccoon population is rabid anyway. In a way it is a more humane end for them than dying from rabies. The state has tried to control the rabies in the coons but last I've heard it wasn't working.

Rabies wasn't a problem 30 years ago because the hunters and trappers took care of them. Then the fur protesters came along and people stopped taking them. Now every 10 feet on the highway there is a dead coon. I see so many on my 40 mile drive to work. 30 years ago i would stop and pick them up and sell for 15-20 bucks now they just end up for coyote food and grease spots...Bob

Comment

I couldn’t even attempt to build one for this price!
                              I have read in certain states it is strictly prohibited to trap and relocate raccoons.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/c....aspx?a=563271

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.