What is the best way to weld band saw blade

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jackalope View Post
    I make all of my own blades from large coils of stock. I have tig'd them before with some success, but the only good way to do them is silver soldering them. You must get the right silver solder though. Very high silver content. A small bit will go a L O N G way. I have a nice jig that holds the blade together and aligns the edges for a true blade.

Grant
    That is good to know, I never considered silvering it.........
    mike sr

Comment

That's right.

The goal is ductile.

The blade isn't under a huge amount of tension, but boy does it flex many many times.

80% of failures are from 20% of causes
      Never compromise your principles today in the name of furthering them in the future.
      "All I ever wanted was an honest week's pay for an honest day's work." -Sgt. Bilko
      "We are generally better persuaded by reasons we discover ourselves than by those given to us by others." -Pascal
      "Since we cannot know all that there is to be known about anything, we ought to know a little about everything." -Pascal

Comment

Call me crazy but I have used one of these: On repair of blade we would cut off previously heated metal.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Dayton-6a489-bla...d=200327783943

Comment

Thanks

I took fatfabs advise and it worked fine. One blade was brand new and was to coarse to cut thin angle iron and broke right away and the other was broken out of the box. That is why I wanted to save them.
          I am back in business.
          Thanks Again,
          Steve

Comment

i know a guy that brazed a bandsaw together with oxy/ac. might wanna try that??

Comment

i think a blade welder would work best for this, try to find a company that has one they may be willing to do it for a small fee.
              This is an automotive discussion forum that has some great infromation

www.autobodytoolmart.com/shoptalk

Comment

Originally posted by Troy Fab View Post
                I took fatfabs advise and it worked fine. One blade was brand new and was to coarse to cut thin angle iron and broke right away and the other was broken out of the box. That is why I wanted to save them.
                I am back in business.
                Thanks Again,
                Steve
                Glad to hear of your success.

If you can post a picture or three.

Heck of a lot easier than one might imagine.

Let us know of the longevity you have with them?

Comment

Originally posted by bellamachinery View Post
                  Or, you could do what I did and buy a bandsaw blade welder. It's made by Stryco. Bought it at a auction for $20 and it paid for it's self a long time ago.
                  +1

Just grind both sides a bit thinner, put the ends in the jig, and then pull the lever, ZAP, its done.
                  Millermatic 211
                  Everlast 200DX TIG
                  Lincoln Weld-Pak 100
                  Century Stick welder
                  Hypertherm Powermax 30 plasma cutter
                  Oxy set-up with Henrob 2000 torch
                  Logan 200 lathe (60 years old)
                  Jet band saw

Comment

Or just use the welding machine you have and Zap your golden.

Comment

Working...
                    X