Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Millermatic 250MP

Hello All.

I may have a line on a older MM 250MP.Unfortunately the condition is an unknown.

I searched online and havent found alot of information on them. It seems they werent super popular.

I understand they can be converted over to a plain MM250 if the computer fails. How much will this cost?

The 250Mp came with a model specific whip, is this still available? Cost? Can an aftermarket whip be substituted in its place?

Are their any other known gremlins in this machine? What are the typical replacement part costs? Are parts still available?

I wish i could just go and run this machine, but thats not an option. Its a bit of a pig in a poke, but i might be able to get it cheap. I just dont want to buy a boat anchor. What would be a fair price?

Sorry for all the cost questions.

Thanks for any information that can be provided. I really wanted a 251 or 231 to replace my MM135 and Thunderbolt, but this just came up.
    Last edited by scooby074; 10-11-2009, 07:58 PM.
    Jason

Millermatic 135XP
    ThunderboltXL 225/150 AC/DC
    Millermatic 252

The Millermatic 250MP was built from 1992 to 1996. It is essentially a Millermatic 250 with a microprocessor control panel instead of a 2 knob control panel. Most parts are still readily available for this unit.

There really are no particular "gremlins" for this unit. The most common thing I have noticed is some people disliked the micro control part of it but I also have talked to many people that really liked it. My experience has been, if they understood it and knew how to use it they liked it and if they didn't understand it, then they disliked it. To convert it to a 2 knob you would need a 144470 and the list price is $321.94.

As for the gun a standard gun can be used. The gun we supplied had a dual schedule switch on it so you could make adjustments from the gun handle if you wanted to but you don't have to have it to use the unit. The gun with the dual schedule switch has been dis-continued.
    Kevin Schuh
    Service Technician
    Miller Electric Mfg. Co.

Comment

The first shop I worked at had 2 or 3 and I really liked them. We never had any problems with them and we worked them very hard. They are part of the reason I got hooked on Miller.
      at home:
      2012 325 Trailblazer EFI with Excel power
      2007 302 Trailblazer with the Robin SOLD
      2008 Suitcase 12RC
      Spoolmatic 30A
      WC-24
      2009 Dynasty 200DX
      2000 XMT 304
      2008 Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52
      Sold:MM130XP
      Sold:MM 251
      Sold:CST 280

at work:
      Invision 350MP
      Dynasty 350
      Millermatic 350P
      Retired:Shopmaster 300 with a HF-251

Comment

Thanks for the replys guys.

I learned on a 250 and Dialarc's at school. Ive used both them and 350's (plus many other lincolns, aircos and millers) at various workplaces. So im familiar with the 250's operation and quality. But the computer scares me as a potential source of problems. I wouldnt be this nervous if it wasnt a MP machine

Main reason im apprehensive is its obviously an older machine. The one in question was removed from service 2years ago as best as i can tell. I have no idea of its operating condition. And no guarantees are made

It could be a deal, but im scared of a nightmare.
        Jason

Millermatic 135XP
        Millermatic 252

Comment

Basically it came out to be comparable to Lincoln sp250, another dual shedule machine. While all were really good machines, everbody was still used to the knob method of feed/voltage adjustments, thus both of these machines where not well recieved by the general public.

This is because of both failed marketing and area reps not having enough knowledge on them. This left dealers and consumers in a confused state to guess on thier operation.

Comment

A little more information i just found out.

Its missing the whip, all it has is the power cord I think even the ground is missing. And i think its missing the regulator.

And apparently its been stored outside for the last 2 years. Not sure if it was covered or not. It could have been used as a parts machine

Outdoor storage for that length of time cant be good for whats essentially an indoor machine. Id imagine that these machines arent as water tight as something like a Bobcat.

Any ideas on fair market value? Even if the welder works im going to need several hundred for a whip and various other parts.
            Last edited by scooby074; 10-13-2009, 12:57 PM.
            Jason

Millermatic 135XP
            Millermatic 252

Comment

Any ideas as to value of this machine in its current condition? Ebay prices are around 1500 but thats for a known running machine in good condition, this one is far from that .
              Jason

Millermatic 135XP
              Millermatic 252

Comment

Thanks all for the replys.

Unfortunately (or luckily) i was outbid on the welder.

Somebody paid $500 for it . I dont think they knew its been outside for the last while. Oh well.

Im going to keep my eyes open for a 251 or a 210.
                Jason

Millermatic 135XP
                Millermatic 252

Comment

Probably better off not getting it if your worried at all about it's condition. Let someone else have the headache.
                  at home:
                  2012 325 Trailblazer EFI with Excel power
                  2007 302 Trailblazer with the Robin SOLD
                  2008 Suitcase 12RC
                  Spoolmatic 30A
                  WC-24
                  2009 Dynasty 200DX
                  2000 XMT 304
                  2008 Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52
                  Sold:MM130XP
                  Sold:MM 251
                  Sold:CST 280

at work:
                  Invision 350MP
                  Dynasty 350
                  Millermatic 350P
                  Retired:Shopmaster 300 with a HF-251

Comment

Originally posted by c wagner View Post
                    Probably better off not getting it if your worried at all about it's condition. Let someone else have the headache.
                    I agree. It ill be a money pit for someone.
                    Jason

Millermatic 135XP
                    Millermatic 252

Comment

millermatic 250mp durabilty

Originally posted by scooby074 View Post
                      I agree. It ill be a money pit for someone.
                      just my 2 cents owned my 250mp since new flawless inoperation love the presets and abilty to adj wire speed/voltage while welding brings out the real welder to know what the wire speed is or voltage should be not just a number 1 2 3 4 ect also the abilty to monitor record welding parameters while connected to pc Paul 37 years heavyduty mechanic welder fabracator

Comment

I love my 250 mp. I have broken the gun and would like to find a way to replace it. As the kids are getting older and not needing dad around as much, i would like to start building things again. What current gun assembly can i buy so that parts will be available for a while, and hope to add the switch my self.

Comment

Originally posted by Olsen View Post
                          I love my 250 mp. I have broken the gun and would like to find a way to replace it. As the kids are getting older and not needing dad around as much, i would like to start building things again. What current gun assembly can i buy so that parts will be available for a while, and hope to add the switch my self.
                          Your choice is huge.... every major supplier makes MIG guns with the MILLER style connector ...

It is really a matter of personal preference.... I like TWECO... but all of the major guys make quality guns that will fit...

just make sure it is rated for your welder's output amperage

You can get a pretty good idea by browsing fleabay

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw...r&_sacat=67054
                          Last edited by H80N; 11-28-2015, 10:36 AM.

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
                          Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
                          Dynasty 200DX
                          Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
                          Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam w/ PowerMax-1000

Comment

Olsen,

The Miller M-25 gun is the typical choice for a mig gun on the Millermatic 250 class units. We have been supplying the M-25 on this size unit as standard equipment since 1995 so the parts are readily available and will be around for many years to come.

Kevin
                            Kevin Schuh
                            Service Technician
                            Miller Electric Mfg. Co.

Comment

Thanks for the replies everyone. I was hoping to get someone's experience at a attempting to add a switch to a gun and how they made out to control the MP.

Comment

Working...
                              X