Millermatic 175 wire speed inconsistent

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Millermatic 175 wire speed inconsistent

This welder was working fine until it ran out of .030 ER70S6 wire in the middle of a project. It had a 10# spool of US Forge brand wire and in a pinch I went and picked up a 2# spool of Lincoln Electric .030 L-56 Super Arc from the local big box store. After I swapped spools I noticed that the wire speed was no longer steady state. It would feed for a second and then pause for half a second repeatedly. I got out the manual and verified the roller is the correct .030 groove and ran wire through it to clean out the groove. I've adjusted the spring on the spindle that puts tension on the spool along with adjusting the roller tension in various combinations. It's best at setting #4 and I currently have it bottomed out but it's still not right. The drive motor is consistant but the wire feed isn't.

This unit is used and has low hours and looks new inside and out (very clean) and this is my first project with it, but it ran fine on the other wire. Any additional troubleshooting ideas?

Thanks in advance,

--JMarsa

Restricted gun?

Try a new contact tip,sometimes they look ok but...Also,you may want to remove the gun and blow compressed air through it from the gun end to remove any litte fillings and dust there could be.See if that helps,Frank
    Millermatic 252
    Millermatic 180
    Dynasty 200DX
    Hobart spoolmate 3035
    Digital Elite

Comment

Kinked liner, bad tip, rusted wire & spool tension have all caused me feed problems with rust causing me the biggest headache.

Comment

Thanks for the repliesss...Afterthought

When I went to replace the spool, I noticed that after I cut the wire from the old spool I was unable to pull the wire through the gun, so I powered it up and fed it with the trigger. Now with the new spool, I can wind wire back on to the spool (go backwards) or pull wire through the tip with the power off. Of course I've fiddled around a bunch now, but any idea why the decrease in tension?

--JMarsa

Comment

The wire on the new spool may have been not on right for X amt of rounds causing binding and now it is all fine, or the nylon locking nut is worn out and has backed off. If it is working now just go with it and burn wire

Comment

Originally posted by JMarsa View Post
            When I went to replace the spool, I noticed that after I cut the wire from the old spool I was unable to pull the wire through the gun, so I powered it up and fed it with the trigger. Now with the new spool, I can wind wire back on to the spool (go backwards) or pull wire through the tip with the power off. Of course I've fiddled around a bunch now, but any idea why the decrease in tension?

--JMarsa
            Are you saying you could not pull the wire through easily before and now you can?If so then there was junk in your liner that somehow got cleared out.There is very little clearance between the liner and the wire,so any dust,fillings or shavings that come off the wire itself can bind in there.
            Millermatic 252
            Millermatic 180
            Dynasty 200DX
            Hobart spoolmate 3035
            Digital Elite

Comment

Nothing resolved yet.

Frank - Yes now I can either back up wire back on the spool or pull it through manually. When changing the spool I thought that the roller must have had so much pressure on the wire that that the end must have to clear before it would free up.

Is it normal to be able to pull wire from the gun or roll it back onto the spoll?

I'll go straighten out the cord and clean everything out. More later...

--JMarsa

Comment

J,if you open the pinch roller on the wire drive,you should be able to pull as much wire out of the gun as you want with only the spool tensionner offering just enough resistance to stop the spool turning as you stop pulling no more.(wow long sentence)If that wire's hard to pull then either the spool tensionner(the nut in the mid of the spool) is too tight or,you have some kind of binding inside the gun(dirty or ruined liner and/or contact tip).When the pinch roller is flipped down and adjusted to proper setting,you should not be able to pull wire out from the gun.And the drive motor should be able to push the wire out smoothly.

PS Liners dont always need to be old to get ruined
                Last edited by Frank Motoweld; 10-11-2009, 06:14 PM.
                Millermatic 252
                Millermatic 180
                Dynasty 200DX
                Hobart spoolmate 3035
                Digital Elite

Comment

Feed inconsistency solved

Thanks everyone for your replies.

After alot of fiddling around, it looks as if it was the spool tensioner. I backed it off all the way and it started to feed normally. I then had to find the sweet spot between too tight and the lock nut falling off.

After that I had to get the pinch roller adjusted again. It's back around the #4 setting again. Question about the bearing that pinches the wire. It has a wear mark (not groove - the surface is smooth) that is about 1/3 the way across the guide surface. Should it be in the middle?

Lastly, I don't think I like the wire compaired to the other I had. It took alot of adjusting voltage and wire speed to get the machine half way close to how it was running before the wire change. It left occasional shiny deposits like a flux core. I was able to get my work done, but the machine isn't running as good as it was. I'm going to order another 10# spool the the other wire tomorrow.

Thanks again,

--JMarsa

Comment

Problem solved,good!

I dont think,although i could be wrong,that there is a provision to make drive roll alignment adjustments on the MM175,you'll need the manual to find that one out,Frank
                    Last edited by Frank Motoweld; 10-11-2009, 07:21 PM.
                    Millermatic 252
                    Millermatic 180
                    Dynasty 200DX
                    Hobart spoolmate 3035
                    Digital Elite

Comment

Originally posted by JMarsa View Post
                      Thanks everyone for your replies.

After alot of fiddling around, it looks as if it was the spool tensioner. I backed it off all the way and it started to feed normally. I then had to find the sweet spot between too tight and the lock nut falling off.

After that I had to get the pinch roller adjusted again. It's back around the #4 setting again. Question about the bearing that pinches the wire. It has a wear mark (not groove - the surface is smooth) that is about 1/3 the way across the guide surface. Should it be in the middle?

Lastly, I don't think I like the wire compaired to the other I had. It took alot of adjusting voltage and wire speed to get the machine half way close to how it was running before the wire change. It left occasional shiny deposits like a flux core. I was able to get my work done, but the machine isn't running as good as it was. I'm going to order another 10# spool the the other wire tomorrow.

Thanks again,

--JMarsa
                      Not saying you are wrong but I know Lincoln and Hobart make some of the best fillers you can get in the states. This US Forge sounds familar but I am not sure why. I can not recall every having a bad roll of lincoln or hobart. I would recommend you play with the settings a bit more, you might like the Lincoln wire better. I can not recall ever having 70S6 wire that did not leave the brown "slag" (stuff on the weld that is not slag).

-Dan
                      Owner
                      DW Metalworks LLC
                      Miller Trailblazer 302
                      Miller 8RC Feeder
                      Miller Passport Plus
                      Miller Dynasty 200 DX W/Coolmate 1
                      Hobart Handler 135
                      Hypertherm PowerMAX 30
                      Smith O/A Torch Set
                      Plus more tools then my wife will ever know about....

Comment

Replicating sweet settings

J,under normal circumstances,the setting you had before should have just worked for the new wire.It's likely that there was already some resistance problem for which you were compensating in the feed speed adjustment within the previous setting that you liked.One easy way to always have constance,since your MM does not have a speed readout,1 find the wire speed that works well for the thickness you're working on.2 hold the gun in your hand and feed six seconds of wire(dont let it touch the work).3 take a tape measure,see how much wire came out.4 multiply how much wire came out by 10 and that is your wire feed speed in inches per minute.Wire speed is your base reference for everything here and from there you set the voltage to it on some scrap steel of the same thickness as you're welding and you're good to go.With this in mind,you can replicate YOUR ideal settings on any machine anywhere and with any brand of the same size wire and same gas.Best of luck,Frank
                        Last edited by Frank Motoweld; 10-12-2009, 05:19 AM.
                        Millermatic 252
                        Millermatic 180
                        Dynasty 200DX
                        Hobart spoolmate 3035
                        Digital Elite

Comment

I'll follow-up in a few days when I get a chance to tune the machine some more.

The US forge wire is made in the US by the company themselves. I was able to source some from a local small chain hardware store for $26 for 10#. No shipping! I think that's a great price.

The Lincoln wire (made in Mexico) has a more copper appearance than the other. I needed to turn the wire speed up about 10 fpm with the new wire. I'll test come more and when I pick up my new wire next week, I'll report back.

Thanks to all for your support and interest.

--JMarsa

Comment

Working...
                          X