arc gouging

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• arc gouging

What exactly is arc gouging? I've searched to learn about it and also watched some videos on youtube but still not quit sure. I have a xmt304 and it says it's capable of arc gouging but I don't see anything about it under accesories. I believe I need a torch/rod holder of some kind but not sure what else I will need.

Also what is arc gouging good for? Can it do everything a plasma cutter can or is more like a torch that give rough cuts?

Thanks for helping out a newbie with this!

Cac-a

Originally posted by ponch37300 View Post
    What exactly is arc gouging? I've searched to learn about it and also watched some videos on youtube but still not quit sure. I have a xmt304 and it says it's capable of arc gouging but I don't see anything about it under accesories. I believe I need a torch/rod holder of some kind but not sure what else I will need.

Also what is arc gouging good for? Can it do everything a plasma cutter can or is more like a torch that give rough cuts?

Thanks for helping out a newbie with this!
    Do a search for Carbon Arc Cutting or Carbon Arc Gouging and it will bring up a whole list of links.

Dave
    "Bonne journe'e mes amis"

Comment

You need a very powerful air compressor, and a gouging torch, like one from Arcair. The carbon electrode provides the arc to melt the metal and the compressed air blows the metal away. It's a rough cut process good for demolition and getting rid of unwanted welds on thick metal. It's not a substitute for a fine cutting plasma, but can be a substitute for a gas cutting torch.
      Millermatic350P/Python, MillermaticReach/Q300
      Millermatic175
      MillermaticPassport/Q300
      HTP MIG200
      PowCon 300SM, MK Cobramatic
      ThermalArc 185ACDC, Dynaflux Tig'r, CK-20
      DialarcHF, Radiator-1
      Hypertherm PowerMax 380
      Purox oxy/ace
      Jackson EQC
      -F350 CrewCab 4x4
      -LoadNGo utility bed
      -Bobcat 250NT
      -PassportPlus/Q300
      -XMT304/Optima/Spoolmatic15A
      -Suitcase8RC/Q400
      -Suitcase12RC/Q300
      -Smith oxy/propane
      -Jackson EQC

Comment

Originally posted by ponch37300 View Post
        Can it do everything a plasma cutter can
        I feel a plasma torch in the scarf mode is cleaner, but the long carbon rods have an advantage. Like reaching into a hole or very tight spot. The longer the stick out of the rod from the carbon arc torch the more air, and amps you’ll need.
        Caution!
        These are "my" views based only on “my” experiences in “my” little bitty world.

Comment

Arc Air Rods

Originally posted by Sonora Iron View Post
          I feel a plasma torch in the scarf mode is cleaner, but the long carbon rods have an advantage. Like reaching into a hole or very tight spot. The longer the stick out of the rod from the carbon arc torch the more air, and amps you’ll need.
          The smaller diameter rods (3/32, 1/8...) are also very delicate. I "grab" them in the middle with the stinger, but it's still easy to mess them up, especially after they've gotten hot.

Dave
          "Bonne journe'e mes amis"

Comment

Thanks for the knowledge guys. I was kinda hoping it would be like a plasma but guess I'm out of luck! So it sounds like arc gouging cuts like a acetyline torch?

Comment

Yeah they do get brittle after they get red hot.

It's not a clean cut but it does the job.
              Millermatic350P/Python, MillermaticReach/Q300
              Millermatic175
              MillermaticPassport/Q300
              HTP MIG200
              PowCon 300SM, MK Cobramatic
              ThermalArc 185ACDC, Dynaflux Tig'r, CK-20
              DialarcHF, Radiator-1
              Hypertherm PowerMax 380
              Purox oxy/ace
              Jackson EQC
              -F350 CrewCab 4x4
              -LoadNGo utility bed
              -Bobcat 250NT
              -PassportPlus/Q300
              -XMT304/Optima/Spoolmatic15A
              -Suitcase8RC/Q400
              -Suitcase12RC/Q300
              -Smith oxy/propane
              -Jackson EQC

Comment

Isn’t Google amazing?

http://www.thefabricator.com/PowerTo...le.cfm?ID=1346
                Caution!
                These are "my" views based only on “my” experiences in “my” little bitty world.

Comment

good pencils

great tool for back grinding butt joints for 100% weld, side shell, or hull on steel boats/ships are welded from inside then gouged out from the outside for welding, alot quicker than grinding

Comment

I like gouging for disassembly of weldments you can gouge the weld and save the parts you need to re-use. I've done a lot of backhoe sticks and booms where I've gouged the bushings and etc... from them and welded them back onto the new boom or stick. Have done a lot of arms for the railroad for the machine that pulls out the old rail ties. As others have said it's great for back gouging for full penetration welds, it's also good for doing repairs to welds which have failed an x-ray test as well. It's not good for cutting parts or anything like that a torch does a much cleaner job.
                    Blondie (Owner C & S Automotive)

Colt the original point & click interface!

Millermatic 35 with spot panel
                    Miller 340A/BP
                    Victor O/A torches
                    Lincoln SP125
                    Too many other tools to list

03 Ram 1500
                    78 GS1000
                    82 GL1100 Interstate

Comment

Working...
                    X