Need help selecting a plasma!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• shortgoroper
    started a topic Need help selecting a plasma!

Need help selecting a plasma!

Now that I got the power (100amp service) and air situation fixed in my garage... I am looking at getting a plasma cutter.

I have looked at these three products.. I cant decide.

1. Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52 (which if I buy before Sept. 30, I can get a FREE Victor Journeyman Torch Outfit)

2. Miller Specturm 625 Xtreme.

3. Hypertherm Powermax 45.

I like the TD 52 because it is priced well, and if I act soon I can get a new torch outfit. My torch is DATED. I love the Miller product a lot. Love my Millermatic 135, and expect to upgrade to a MM 211 very soon. I dont know too much about the Powermax 45, but it is priced the highest out of them all.

Which one has the better consumable??? Cost effective???

Any insight would help.

Thanks
    matt

• shortgoroper
    replied
    Well I plan on putting my new compressor in the corner of the garage. I then want to run my 220v and an airline over to a post in the center of my garage where I will have my welding table.

Should I run a solid line (copper) over to a point on the post, then put in an air dryer??? I suppose a solid line is better???

Leave a comment:

• cruizer
    replied
    Have to use it as close to the plasma as possible. This is because your airlines also gather moisture, especially copper and black pipe.

Leave a comment:

• shortgoroper
    replied
    Originally posted by cruizer View Post
    Just an oversized water separator simular in design to the factory ones, air shoots through a micron filter and blasts in a tornado huricane fashion the moisture laden air against the sides of the bowl, and drains out the bottom. I use the manual drain ones and open it up very slightly. A 1/2" version runs in at less than 60 bucks.
    Where are you mounting this air dryer??? right off of compressor or at the plasma???

Would it help if I ran hard line to the area where I will do most of my cutting then use a short peice of rubber line, or doesnt it matter??

Leave a comment:

• cruizer
    replied
    Originally posted by Desertrider33 View Post
    Cruizer, do you have a link to these Hurricane dryers?
    Just an oversized water separator simular in design to the factory ones, air shoots through a micron filter and blasts in a tornado huricane fashion the moisture laden air against the sides of the bowl, and drains out the bottom. I use the manual drain ones and open it up very slightly. A 1/2" version runs in at less than 60 bucks.

Leave a comment:

• Desertrider33
    replied
    Cruizer, do you have a link to these Hurricane dryers?

Leave a comment:

• cruizer
    replied
    I've een putting on hurricane dryers, quite economical, and no canisters or filters to change out. Your fitting is 1/4" NPT so what the best method is to get a 1/2" hurricane version and step it down to 1/4".

Removes around 99% of the water.

Leave a comment:

• Desertrider33
    replied
    Originally posted by t-terrible View Post
    i just bought a used hypertherm 800 and a new air compressor..never used a plasma cutter..what is the best way to keep the air supply dry..

thanks
    tom
    I use a cannister filter/dryer at the compressor and another one right at the plasma cutter. Even then I get a little water spitting. If I had the money and space and was using the plasma a whole lot on a daily basis, I'd buy one of those a/c heat exchanger type dryers the big shops use.

Leave a comment:

• t-terrible
    replied
    Originally posted by cruizer View Post
    Again the T-dyne has much longer lasting and much less expensive consumables, only real problem is with the start cartridge. Air has to be dry, dry.
    i just bought a used hypertherm 800 and a new air compressor..never used a plasma cutter..what is the best way to keep the air supply dry..

thanks
    tom

Leave a comment:

• shortgoroper
    replied
    I think I am sold on the Cutmaster 52. For the most part, 1/2" will be the biggest to work with. I just need to get my but in gear for the free torch outfit... then I will be covered for any thicker peices I encounter.

Thanks for your advice!

Leave a comment:

• cruizer
    replied
    Nope the 52 will not cut 1 1/2", the 80 amp (101) version will though

Leave a comment:

• FusionKing
    replied
    Originally posted by shortgoroper View Post
    What is the thickest the Cutmaster 52 will do with a decent cut??? How well does it handle 1/2"??

A guy at the local welding shop said that he could cut up to 1 1/2" with the Cutmaster 52 they demo'd at their shop. Does this sound right??
    Well if it wouldn't the torch they GIVE you will

Leave a comment:

• shortgoroper
    replied
    What is the thickest the Cutmaster 52 will do with a decent cut??? How well does it handle 1/2"??

A guy at the local welding shop said that he could cut up to 1 1/2" with the Cutmaster 52 they demo'd at their shop. Does this sound right??

Leave a comment:

• c wagner
    replied
    Another vote for the Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52, mine works great!

Leave a comment:

• cruizer
    replied
    Again the T-dyne has much longer lasting and much less expensive consumables, only real problem is with the start cartridge. Air has to be dry, dry.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X