Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

welding lens #

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

yes, i get what ur saying. I am mostly welding outside, so I will try a 10 shade, I have a fixed lens helmet with a 10 lens. It works ok, but like someone else said, its a orangish color when it lights up. thanks guys

Comment

"Arc Rays"

Originally posted by Desertrider33 View Post
      The lenses are typically supposed to keep out rays from certain harmful sections of the light spectrum. I have forgotten the names of them as it's been a number of years since I was in science class. However, if the shade is too light, the brightness will tire your eyes and make them more sensitive to bright light for a period of time after. My eyes hurt and tear for awhile when I use too light a shade for too long. I use the darkest shade I can still see the weld with.
      Your eyes need to be protected from radiation exposure caused by welding.

Infrared radiation can cause retinal burning and cataracts.

Ultraviolet radiation can cause eye burn known as "welder's flash," and isn't always apparent until several hours after exposure. Not only does it cause extreme discomfort, but can result in swelling, fluid excretion, and temporary blindess in extreme cases.

Shade darkness (number) is determined by arc current (amperage), ranging from #8 ( less than 50) up to #14 (500-1000).

Generally, #10 is suitable for most operations, but when in doubt, one should refer to the many safety guides published by the manufacturers.

Safety glasses meeting Mil V0 ballistic impact tests and ANSI spec Z87.1 1989 should always be worn underneath the hood.

Dave
      Last edited by davedarragh; 09-02-2009, 03:25 PM.

Comment

Working...
      X
      Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.