Back purging Mild Steel Tubing ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Back purging Mild Steel Tubing ?

Can I possibly use C25 for back purging mild steel tubing ?

I've tried to research it a good bit, but almost everything is referring to people wanting to do it with stainless.

I purge mild steel tube with argon, same for stainless...........
    mike sr

Comment

I understand it would probably be best to use straight argon for the purging, however since i've already got a C25 bottle and flowmeter sitting around for my MIG, it would be easier for me to just hookup that bottle for the purge, rather than building a Y setup to purge the inside with straight argon, not to mention it would save me from having to get my argon bottle filled sooner

Comment

I suggest pure argon also.

Wheelchair

Comment

Tig

If this is the TIG process then NO.
          Argon would be the gas of choice.

Andy

Comment

Yes TIG, with my "new" 3 or so month old diversion i've managed to maybe play with for about an hour

I think i'll probably wait for these to be in stock, only an extra week or so, and realistically shouldnt actually delay me any on getting everything done.

(I'm building a set of headers for my car)

Comment

as everyone said, argon is the correct answer. but you could make c25 work if you really had to. the world won't end, and your joint won't fall apart. just expect some c25 to bleed through the joint and into the active weld site, which will cause your tungsten to wear pretty quick.
              miller dynasty 350
              miller spectrum 1000

Comment

Originally posted by ridesideways View Post
                as everyone said, argon is the correct answer. but you could make c25 work if you really had to. the world won't end, and your joint won't fall apart. just expect some c25 to bleed through the joint and into the active weld site, which will cause your tungsten to wear pretty quick.
                Sounds like reason enough to do it with straight argon, I wouldnt care if it was going to be something like the color being not as pretty on the inside of the tubing, however with that info, i'll either wait and use those weld rings, get what I need to purge off my argon bottle, or maybe both.

Thanks for the info.

Comment

Working...
                X