Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

The forum is currently undergoing maintenance and is in a 'read-only' mode for the time being. Sorry for the inconvenience.

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

AC TIG: balance control vs. differential current adjustment

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hawk,

Thanks for the detailed response.

I now see that DC tigging alum is best left to the pros not a bozo like me.

Plus even if I got high purity helium and got setup for DC tigging with helium, it woulden't make me weld any better so I'll be better served by spending the money on more blue equipment as budget allows.

I still have fun tigging so I will continue.

Clouseau

PS - Does your dog bite?

thanks again.

Comment

Hi sir Broccoli1. Nice information about the AC TIG. I think I should write it up to my notebook.

Comment

sorry to bring up an old thread guys but i just got a new dyn 350 and i can't figure out what the difference between balance control vs differential current adjustment. I understand the technical difference between the two but i dont understand why i would use one over the other. if i raise the balance i will put more EN into the work piece and get better penetration and less cleaning and if i raise the EN amperage i will also get better penetration and less cleaning. so what is the point of differential amperage? why note just leave at 1:1 ratio and make my adjustments with balance?? When would i use differential adjustment instead of balance control?

Comment

Originally posted by regal2800 View Post
          sorry to bring up an old thread guys but i just got a new dyn 350 and i can't figure out what the difference between balance control vs differential current adjustment. I understand the technical difference between the two but i dont understand why i would use one over the other. if i raise the balance i will put more EN into the work piece and get better penetration and less cleaning and if i raise the EN amperage i will also get better penetration and less cleaning. so what is the point of differential amperage? why note just leave at 1:1 ratio and make my adjustments with balance?? When would i use differential adjustment instead of balance control?
          If you are talking about EN/EP ratio, it is the amperage values of each. I believe it has nothing to do with balance. Balance is the time value of each polarity.

The way I see it is if balance is 70, and EN is 340 amps, EP is 280 amps, then 70% of the time of the arc is EN at 340amps(melting base), and 30% of the time is EP at 280 amps(melting the electrode/cleaning).

For me I reduce the EP to prevent tungsten erosion and meltback. I also get a more defined bead. Then I adjust my balance for desired cleaning and wet-in. Less EP works better for me on thicker alum. A more balanced EN/EP I use for thinner alum like soda cans.

You can store up to 9 different AC programs for different applications. I keep all the values stored in a small spiral notebook.
          Last edited by shovelon; 11-22-2011, 08:39 AM. Reason: spelin

Comment

Yes, you are correct and i fully understand that. But my question still remains as to why i would do that. If im welding thin material and i want a more EP going into the tungsten why can't i just reduce my balance? Reducing my balance will also give me more EP and put more amperage into my tungsten. Does it make sense what i am saying?

Does adjust the EP/EN amperage individually do something that adjust the balance WONT accomplish? I guess that is the real question i am trying to figure out.

Comment

regal,

Understand that I'm not "picking on you" but sounds like you're trying to "think" yourself right out of being a proficient tig welder.

You're not alone in this, which is unfortunate. We guys, who've been around for awhile, just sit back and shake our heads at some of the "newbie" questions that are asked on a message board. So many of our new welders think they have to have all the "latest bells and whistles" to be proficient at tig welding. Often times, these are the guys who go out and buy the Chinese crap because it offers those b&w's and they're not willing to buy quality.

That is not the case with you and the Dynasty 350. That is truly a top of the line, advanced tig welder, however, there is a reason why some of the more advanced features are called "advanced features".

I don't care how advanced the machine is, it still comes down to seat time and understanding the basics of tig welding. Andy's explanation earlier in this post is as good as any you're going to find. You may also do a search on postings by KB Fabrications. Kevin has probably "gone further" with exploring the "advanced features" of the Dynasty 350 than any other poster I've seen on the board. He doesn't post much anymore because he got tired of the repetetive bs questions from people who don't put forth any effort to do their own research.

The independent amplitude/amperage control of the Dynasty 350 is truly an "advanced feature". You're not going to find any "cookie cutter" solutions as to settings, etc because every case is different. An advanced tigger will understand that and will experiment with his machine to achieve the optimum result. Those settings will be "just right" for him, but may not work for the next guy because of difference in technique, etc.

I've followed your progression with tig on the board and, quite frankly, you're not at a point where you should be loosing sleep about certain capabilities that you don't understand at this point. Moving from a transformer to an inverter with the greater range of balance control and the ability to change the frequency will give you plenty to think about for the foreseeable future. When you get to the point that those features are not giving you that "perfect result", that will be the time to worry about individual amplitude. You're not there yet. Focus on the basics. Play with the "advanced features" if you wish to see what they do FOR YOU, but don't let them get in the way of your development.

Just because you have a 600 HP Corvette that will run 150 MPH doesn't mean you have do drive it down the highway at that speed. Best learn how to get it thru the curves before you "open it up".

Advanced tiggers will learn how to make advanced features work for them.

Comment

I have a Kemppi tig welder which has a Mix Tig function which pulses the machine between AC and Dc for Aluminium welding.
                The machine uses the ac function to clean and the dc to heat.You can use a
                sharpened thoriated tungsten and it keeps a very focussed arc

Comment

Working...
                X
                Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.