No announcement yet.

voltage sensing

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok I did it, found a brand new miller vs8 at a good price. It will be a week or so before I'm back at the farm to give it a try. The fellows at the LWS say I have made a mistake as it will disappoint me on 1/4 or less steel since my Bobcat only goes down to 17volts on CV. O well I will see. Plan to run .035 solid wire at first to test it out. My research goes both ways but I plan to be patient and give it a try the numbers in the manuals say it should be fine. Any help on how to run it would be appreciated as to experience with size wire, settings, flux v. Solid wire. I'll report.

Comment

Gave it a good test today. .035 wire C25 gas. Set up was easy but took a while to get it tuned in as beads were ropy at first. Meter on suitcase seems inconsistent as one weld will show 17 volts and the next one 19 all at the same wire speed. Also volts can go as low as 14 even though machine dial only goes down to 17. Need some help,understanding this aspect. Over all it went fine for the first day of experience with the new 8VS. I think it is a keeper. Welding on 1/4 and 1/8 inch stuff, seems cold if anything rather than too hot that I expected.

Comment

voltage sensing

Remember that wire speed has nothing to do with voltage. And CTWD will cause variation in voltage. Just remember wire speed = amps; power source = voltage.

Comment

Thanks, I'm sure I will get it down with a little more practice.

Comment

voltage sensing

You will often find a voltage drop from the power source settings to the feeder on vs units. Trust the meters on the feeder. Especially on a bobcat in cv. Cv is tolerant of change of stickout, but as you get more consistent the voltage readings will become more stable. Not a very precise knob to set voltage on the bobcat, usually set voltage by "feel" if no meters on the feeder. If you need lower voltage than your bobcat wants to supply, try using thinner wire to lower the heat at a given voltage(030 or 023)

Comment

Well I've had two days with the 8vs putting it to work on H-braces for fence project. Really pleased, this is going to work fine for me. Just has a small learning curve on dialing it in but no big deal. Great machine to turn Bobcat into a fine MIG welder.
              Last edited by Glidertow; 01-05-2014, 06:59 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X