Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dynasty Processes-Set Up

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • I havent had much luck with the lift arc feature, the HF works much better for me. Aluminum will weld without HF but its kind of "iffy" it seemed to work better at higher current settings.

    I think your start parameters need to be changed, on the 200 that is adjustable and I imagine it is on the 300 as well although I am not familiar with that machine.
    mike sr

    Comment


    • Originally posted by moroeder View Post
      The reason I am chasing this lift arc feature is that it appears when it does work I don't have the normal HF starting current that has a tendency to burn through a butt weld on start. If iI could get the lift arc to work consistently I believe I would have more luck with this "tin foil" I need to weld.
      Keep using HF start and try reducing the HF impulse start amperage time . . . section 4-13 of the 300DX owners manual, sections C & D . . . http://www.millerwelds.com/om/o358k_mil.pdf. This is the current produced when the arc is initiated. At the end of the impulse time, current is controlled by the pedal.

      I've had good success welding .032 thick 3003 by reducing the impulse amperage to 10 (factory default is 20) and time to 5 (factory default is 10). Welding current is adjusted with the foot pedal, but set to 50 amps on the panel, 120 Hz and balance is 85.

      Jim
      Dynasty 300DX
      MM350P
      Hobart Handler 120
      Smith LW7, MW1, AW1
      Smith AR/He Mixer

      Comment


      • There was talk about an advanced guide to the Dynasty. Miller or someone else was going to publish. Any one know where this is this at, the more I use this machine the more I want to know.

        Expermenting has been great but I a using it more and need to get some short cuts. The spot feature and pulse features are outstanding. I think I'm just scraching the surface. I am very interested in an advanced guide. Any news or available resource on this?
        Mountain Metal
        Dynasty 200 DX
        Coolmate 1
        Miller Trailblazer 302 W/ Kohler
        Miller Suitcase 12VS Wire feeder
        Weldcraft 26 TIG Torch
        Miller 210
        Spoolmate 3035
        Thermal Dynamics 51 Plasma
        Victor O/A
        Jet 7x12 L Cooled Band Saw
        Delta Drill Press
        Dewalt Chop

        Comment


        • Mountain Metal
          myself and several others were pushing for and hoping for such a guide... The best we have gotten thus far is this thread being a sticky.... I personally have a Dynasty 350Tigrunner and Dynasty 200Dx... have had them for a couple of years now... and the more I use them the more I would like a book... have been tigging for about 40 years... but the potential of these advanced inverters is tremendous... wish Miller would reconsider!!!!!!
          Thanks
          Heiti

          Here is a link to that thread!!

          http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...y-Welding-Book
          Last edited by H80N; 10-09-2010, 09:18 PM. Reason: addl info
          .

          *******************************************
          The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

          “The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

          Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

          My Blue Stuff:
          Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
          Dynasty 200DX
          Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
          Millermatic 200

          TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam w/ PowerMax-1000

          Comment


          • Spot welding, Dynasty 200

            I figured out the spot welding function on the Dynasty 200 yesterday. I practiced welding stainless filler rods together end to end and Tee joints, this is the first time I have been able to do this with any degree of success!
            200 amps for .1 second will butt weld 3/32" filler rods, the secret is to use as short a time as possible and high current settings.
            I made several types of welds on various 308 filler rods with a high degree of success.
            RMT2 hold, dc, .1 second 200 amps are the settings used, and I am sure I will improve over time.
            I attached a couple of pictures...........
            Attached Files
            mike sr

            Comment


            • Originally posted by popspipes View Post
              I figured out the spot welding function on the Dynasty 200 yesterday. I practiced welding stainless filler rods together end to end and Tee joints, this is the first time I have been able to do this with any degree of success!
              200 amps for .1 second will butt weld 3/32" filler rods, the secret is to use as short a time as possible and high current settings.
              I made several types of welds on various 308 filler rods with a high degree of success.
              RMT2 hold, dc, .1 second 200 amps are the settings used, and I am sure I will improve over time.
              I attached a couple of pictures...........
              That's EXACTLY what I was looking for!

              Thanks much!!!

              Merry Christmas to you!
              "If you build it, they will come!"

              Comment


              • So our shop just got its hands on a dynasty 350, already having a dynasty 200 I was familiar to welding Al with an inverter. At least, I thought.

                Hands down being able to adjust EN-EP amperage, along with the soft squarewave form is the best advancement ive seen in welding equipment to date. Night and day difference compared to a regular inverter.

                Now I understand what all the controls are, but I dont seem to be getting the tungsten life that I think I should. Properly prepped I will start to see it split and deform within 5 inches of weld. With less pedal (and fewer touchouts) it will last longer but still is not like I would have hoped. My settings are 300A EN 220A EP 73% balance 140Hz 3/32 ceriated.

                Any suggestions on how to tweak these settings would be much appreciated.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by Hoo View Post
                  So our shop just got its hands on a dynasty 350, already having a dynasty 200 I was familiar to welding Al with an inverter. At least, I thought.

                  Hands down being able to adjust EN-EP amperage, along with the soft squarewave form is the best advancement ive seen in welding equipment to date. Night and day difference compared to a regular inverter.

                  Now I understand what all the controls are, but I dont seem to be getting the tungsten life that I think I should. Properly prepped I will start to see it split and deform within 5 inches of weld. With less pedal (and fewer touchouts) it will last longer but still is not like I would have hoped. My settings are 300A EN 220A EP 73% balance 140Hz 3/32 ceriated.

                  Any suggestions on how to tweak these settings would be much appreciated.
                  http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...iable-Polarity
                  Ed Conley
                  http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
                  MM252
                  MM211
                  Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
                  TA185
                  Miller 125c Plasma 120v
                  O/A set
                  SO 2020 Bender
                  You can call me Bacchus

                  Comment


                  • flagg raised......experts? help please?

                    hi all,newbe poster here. i just bought a new 200 dx and i was hoping to get a few pointers from you guys who are much more experienced than me.

                    im trying to get my machine setup to to weld 20 and 19 guage mild steel sheetmetal. i mostly do buttwelds and often dont even use a filler rod.

                    can anyone give me the opinions on what tungsten type and thickness to use? what should i use as settings on the digital thingy?

                    we farted around with several settings yesterday with mixed results but i wanted to hear if possible what the experts say.......any help is greatly appreciated

                    Comment


                    • Congrats on your choice of the Dynasty 200DX!

                      I Tig weld 19 and 22 gage sheetmetal with mine. The only butweld I do on the 22 gage, the settings are 500 cycles pulse, 21 amps 50 percent, 20 percent background. This averages out to about 10 amps DC.
                      I use .040 Tungsten, Ceriated and Thoriated, (the thoriated because I ordered wrong) and a wp9 torch, about 5 cfh on the argon flowmeter with a #4 gas lens cup. (no pulse, DC set at 10 amps works just as well).

                      It is hard for me to figure out what current I have using the pulse feature, it can be figured , but I nail the pedal then look at the amp meter to see what amperage I am really using.

                      I love it for thin gage aluminum, as well and the spot feature mentioned in an above post.
                      It does take awhile to get the many functions down but I think you will love this machine!
                      mike sr

                      Comment


                      • thanks!!!!!!!!!!! i have a buddy in the industry but he does mostly aluminum and larger thickness than i ever do.........he told me after my econotig broke "dude,just spend the money and cry once,the dynasty is a gnarly machine!"

                        thanks again so much,can you reccomend a different tungsten then? or is what you mentioned working well?

                        is there any advantage to using pulse on my particular usage?

                        i plan on learning to do some thin guage aluminum too........i gotta admit i was blown away at how long i was able to sit on some 20 guage and not blow a hole or anything!

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by earlypanels View Post
                          thanks!!!!!!!!!!! i have a buddy in the industry but he does mostly aluminum and larger thickness than i ever do.........he told me after my econotig broke "dude,just spend the money and cry once,the dynasty is a gnarly machine!"

                          thanks again so much,can you reccomend a different tungsten then? or is what you mentioned working well?

                          is there any advantage to using pulse on my particular usage?

                          i plan on learning to do some thin guage aluminum too........i gotta admit i was blown away at how long i was able to sit on some 20 guage and not blow a hole or anything!
                          I agree with your buddy!

                          I have used pulse and no pulse and the welds are the same, I use it because its on the machine and I think the prepped tungsten stays good longer, .020 tungsten would be better for my application but it breaks so easily when handling it so I went to the .040. The pulse will keep you awake as well ha! There may be advantages to it that I havent discovered yet though.
                          I havent noticed much difference in the tungstens I mentioned at low current, the thoriated doesnt work too well on aluminum for me, it tends to split at high current settings.
                          I can run a nice bead on .058 wall aluminum, as the thickness decreases it gets tougher for me, my hand to eye isnt as good as it used to be.

                          I have a bit less than 200 hours on mine and no fault codes except Help 1, and that one is reset with a toggle of the power switch, that one doesnt happen often though.
                          mike sr

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by popspipes View Post
                            I agree with your buddy!

                            I have used pulse and no pulse and the welds are the same, I use it because its on the machine and I think the prepped tungsten stays good longer . . . There may be advantages to it that I havent discovered yet though.
                            Pops,

                            Try a lower pulse rate . . . 30-40 PPS. I don't think the higher rates allow enough time for the puddle to cool . . . at least that's my theory. Lower rates work too, but I can't tolerate if very long. You may also have to adjust the sensitivity or delay settings of your A/D filter.

                            Try 40 pps, 40% peak and 40% background on some thinner material and let us know if you like it . . . or the perceived improvement is all in my mind.

                            -jim
                            Dynasty 300DX
                            MM350P
                            Hobart Handler 120
                            Smith LW7, MW1, AW1
                            Smith AR/He Mixer

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by 4sfed View Post
                              Pops,

                              Try a lower pulse rate . . . 30-40 PPS. I don't think the higher rates allow enough time for the puddle to cool . . . at least that's my theory. Lower rates work too, but I can't tolerate if very long. You may also have to adjust the sensitivity or delay settings of your A/D filter.

                              Try 40 pps, 40% peak and 40% background on some thinner material and let us know if you like it . . . or the perceived improvement is all in my mind.

                              -jim
                              I agree Jim that the slower rates are better but they drive my eyes nuts! I tried it on the turntable and about .5 pps made a very nice looking weld, I didnt experiment long with that though, what I have tried with the same average current and rate of travel, but different pulse rates, the welds look identical as far as penetration goes.

                              I have been experimenting with pumping the pedal on thin gage steel, that seems to work better and may be the same as slow pulse, I will have to experiment more with it. I seem to be able to control the HAZ better this way.
                              mike sr

                              Comment


                              • thanks for the tips guys!!!!!!!!!! i have another silly question.......what about gas pressure? is there a area i should keep it for thin guage? will the pressures be different for steel vs aluminum? i know i know im still very "green" on tig welding

                                i bought what im told is a really great machine and just want to get it all dialed in,my machine uses the thumb control if that makes any difference in technique........please feel free to school me,i love learning and respect you guys opinions! thanks again

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X