Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dynasty 200 DX, Coolmate; one plug?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dynasty 200 DX, Coolmate; one plug?

Hi all, I was wondering if anyone has wired up the Coolmate (2.1A@115V/60Hz) to run off of the welder's supply, so you'd only have to run one power cord-- seeing as it's a mobile machine for me, that would be very convenient. Some larger welders have accessory outlets built into them; I'd like to do something like that.

So far I've taken a cursory look at the welder's wiring diagram, and I don't see the obvious path. For instance I could easily hook an inverter to the 15V supply intended for the remote connector, but I couldn't find max load specs for it. Alternatively, I could convert one of the other DC lines to 115V AC, but I don't want to tap a switched line or one that's used for feedback, regulation, etc. There are many ways to accomplish this, but I don't have enough info.

The other option is to hook a separate universal power supply to the welder's input leads, but that would likely be very expensive.

Thoughts other than "Danger Will Robinson!" would be appreciated.

Wasn't going to use" Danger Wil Robinson" thought about what MacGyver would do, and in reality none of his ideas actually worked, and yours won't either, so think about another way of wiring in your cooler...

Comment

Yeah, but I'm an ECE guy, not MacGyver...

Comment

So, I've decided to pull power from one leg of the welder's mains input rather than from the power supply for several reasons: I need AC and it's silly to take rectified DC and re-invert it; there's too little info on the rectified power inside the welder; I don't want to sap the welder's power; and I like my warranty.

Cheers,
        Will

Comment

Here's what i did to solve the problem...

Comment

Originally posted by wrenchnride247 View Post
            Here's what i did to solve the problem...

I did about the same thing after I fried my first set of hoses. I have a label on the front of my dynasty (right next to the digital readout) that says "Turn on cooler"

-Dan

Comment

I hope a sparky reads this and takes this idea and runs with it

If you are using this in the shop with a cooler anyways, how about making a switch box up in front of your cart set-up. You would have just one off and on switch, and 3 recepticals in back...2 115volt and 1 240 volt. This would be handy because the dynasty switch is about as handy as wiping your @$$ thru your shirt collar IMO!!
              This box may already exist for all I know. If so I want one. Esp if it was like a plastic osha kinda thingy

Comment

The Dynasty is a multi voltage auto link system, with that in mind, if it was operated on anything but 230 single phase (using one phase for the 115), I would think it would be more trouble than its worth.....

I just use an air cooled torch, if I need the 200 amps the wp26 air cooled would fill the bill.

I am a bit old and believe in Murphys law too!! "If turning on the cooler can be forgotten it will be sooner or later".

I like Fusions idea of the switchable receptacle box. I am still laughing about wiping ones rear thru his shirt collar ha!!

Comment

That is one complaint where I believe Miller missed the boat....... putting the #*! off/on switch on the rear panel. Nothing but a pain.

Since I run my Dynasty on 3 phase, I am not about to play with switch relocation. But the on/off switch for my Coolmate is located on the front panel and I sure wish the Dynasty had been done the same way.
                  .........pg

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.