Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Flash Burn

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flash Burn

how long does it usually take to go heal??? and do i NEED to visit my eye doctor? i saw somewhere to stop wearing contacts until it heals so i took them out wearing an old pair of glasses.

i was helping a welding build a railing on a deck in the field and i was holding the pickets for him and figured looking away was enough well we did about 100 tacs that day and i came home and my face felt a little sun burnt and the bottom corner of my eye was red. it looks worse now. i have very little discomfort in my eye except for when i wake up and nothing abnormal with vision no spots or anything like that. BUT i am wearing my hood now when i help, eyes are very important and i'd like to protect what little eye sight i have left.
    Last edited by andyman; 07-03-2009, 05:19 AM.

Flashburn feels like you eyes have sand in them, and is painful. I would tend to think you have gotten something in it if its only in one area of one eye. Probably wouldnt hurt to see a doctor if it persists.

Comment

A little discomfort is not flash burn. As stated above you may have something your eye.
      Flash burn feels like someone shot you in the face with pepper spray. I got burnt once and woke up a 2 am with what felt like acid in my eyes. Nothing I could do would would relieve the pain i just had the let it run it's course. Took about twenty minutes to settle down felt like forever.
      That was fourteen years ago And I haven't been burnt since. Always wear a hood with the proper lens shade.
      Last edited by kcstott; 07-03-2009, 11:19 AM.

Comment

Try a hot Tea Bag on your eye and see if that helps...Bob

Comment

IT feels like salt was put in your eyes and Any of the times i got it My eyes felt funny for about a day.

Comment

Here's the deal. ALWAYS WEAR EYE PROTECTION!!!! PERIOD!!!

Comment

If you even suspect that you have something in your eye you should have it looked at by a doctor to make sure. What you described sounds more like you have something in your eye.

The eyes are the fastest healing part of the body and can heal over an object in as little 24 hours. Big problem with that is formation of a rust ring which can cause problems later.

I'm certainly not a doctor but as you say your eyes are very important and you don't get a second chance if something is damaged. I vote for a doctor visit or a trip to one of those "express care" facilities seeing (no pun intended) as it's a holiday weekend. Good luck and always wear eye protection.

Comment

Arc Burn !!

Originally posted by m.k.swelding View Post
                IT feels like salt was put in your eyes and Any of the times i got it My eyes felt funny for about a day.
                Hi, If you have a Weldors Flash, It Does Not Feel Funny !!

In My younger days I had Hundreds, maybe thousands, Welding on a production line . When you flip your shield up the other Weldor is Welding !
                No such thing as an Auto Darkening Welding Shield in them days !!
                I Welded for another 30yrs. before in needed to wear reading glasses, been wearing them now for 12yrs. for reading & Welding !!

.............. Norm

Comment

andyman, eye doctor cant do much couse demage is done, cold compresses over you face will help a lot, chamomille tea bags over your flashed eye but be sure there are cold! and aloe vera on burned skin just apply over and over again, Just today I did some small welds with short sleeves shirt and here we go again uv burns, so I used aloe vera and helps right away, always I meen always cover any open skin and do no a single tac without mask!

Comment

Hi Andyman.

From the way it sound like you might have some thing in your eye so, yes you should get it checked out just because ITS YOUR EYES! Ben there and have hasd mine taped shut for 2-3 days before just because I was in a hurry doing a project and then I paid for it and so did my family because my wife had to do every thing for me during that time.

As for some thing that will help take the pain away get your self a good size potato and slice a couple pcs about 1/8" thick and lay them on your eyes with a hot wash cloth over them for about 1/2hr at a time, some thing in the spud draws out the burn & itch of flash burn.

Just thought I would pass that along to you and form now on try to wear your hood even when your just tacking parts up or helping a buddy do fit ups.

Comment

i've only had flash burn once. woke up 2 am and nothing soothes the pain. i went later to the eye doc, for unrelated reasons, and he told me that alcohol was the answer to the pain as the first thing to numb for drinking alcohol was the retina. havent had to try it yet, but thats what he told me.

Comment

Enough!

Enough with the freakin' home remedies and folk medicine like potato slices or anything else! Follow either of these links to see what medical science has to say.

[/url]www.emedicinehealth.com/corneal_flash_burns/article_em.htm

[url]www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/bhcv2/bhcarticles.nsf/pages/Eye_injuries_flash_burns?open
                        Last edited by mikeswelding; 07-04-2009, 04:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mikeswelding View Post
                          Enough with the freakin' home remedies and folk medicine like potato slices or anything else! Follow either of these links to see what medical science has to say.

[/url]www.emedicinehealth.com/corneal_flash_burns/article_em.htm

[url]www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/bhcv2/bhcarticles.nsf/pages/Eye_injuries_flash_burns?open
                          Hey Mike!@ just so you know what I said IS NOT SOME FOLK MEDICINE The doctor I went to told me this would work better then the slim crap he put in my eyes and he tells any welders that come in for flash burn the same thing. And yes it does work so unless you have done it and tried it GO ON ABOUT YOUR OPINIONS ELSE WHERE!D

Have a nice day and cover your eyes Big Boy!

Just so know also modern medicine doesn't always work just like the good doctor tells you it does.

Comment

[QUOTE=safetydave;197115]Hey Mike!@ just so you know what I said IS NOT SOME FOLK MEDICINE The doctor I went to told me this would work better then the slim crap he put in my eyes and he tells any welders that come in for flash burn the same thing. And yes it does work so unless you have done it and tried it GO ON ABOUT YOUR OPINIONS ELSE WHERE!D

Hey, Dave. Just a couple of minor points. This has nothing to do with my opinion. There is nothing on any medical site that recommends this procedure. If your doctor recommended it, fine. You should have mentioned that this suggestion came from a professional because, yes, there are still too many folk remedies out there.

And yes, you are right about one thing. I haven't tried it because I have never experienced flash burn. I struck my first arc in 1961 and have been welding ever since in just about every situation you can imagine, and have always been very aware of the danger.

BTW, you mentioned in your previous post that you have had your eyes taped shut for 2 or 3 days as a result of flashburn. So did you start using the name "safetydave" before or after that?

Comment

You know contrary to all the ridicule they get from old school weldors, the availability of inexpensive auto darkening hoods are one of the best things to happen to welding lately. For 50 bucks, you can get one and save your eyes.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.