Dynasty Welding Book?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Griff,
    Thats it! I thought of it later, just didnt get around to putting it in the post.

Sundown,
    That hobby is what got me into the machinist trade years ago. It doesnt cost all that much anymore, if I dont hydraulic an engine or something major. I always wanted to drive one of those Hydros, but raising a family and obligations kept it at bay in my early years.
    The boats burn gasoline and oil mix, a gallon lasts a month or so. the engines are Zenoah weed whacker types modified the develop about 6.5 HP.

We had a nice day here today so I didnt get to try the pulse settings on the stainless tube, I will soon though and let you know what I find out.
    mike sr

Comment

Originally posted by SundownIII View Post
      Pop,

Give these settings a whirl on the Dynasty. Think you'll like them.

Amps 48-52
      PPS 200
      Peak 70%
      Background 30%

You won't see the pulsing, but it's there. These settings have worked well for me on the exact material you're working on. You'll need to run pretty fast. Are you backgassing the tubing. If not, you're going to still get a fair amount of sugaring even at those settings.
      I made a few welds on 1.5"
      2 minutes per revolution (A bit slow but need to figure out the settings etc)
      45 amps
      200 cycles
      70 percent
      30 percent background
      purged
      100% argon

Foreign stainless, has the smeared dark look to the weld.
      This is the same width weld that I would make on a sanitary tube with straight dc (no pulse).
      I did this on my turntable to be able to keep track of the speed and time.
      The weld was 100 percent penetration, and am a bit rusty as its been a while since I have done any stainless.
      I will try to figure out how to post the pics and give everyone a good laugh ha!!
      mike sr

Comment

Sundown,

I emailed you the pics..........
        mike sr

Comment

After welding
          [ATTACH][ATTACH]18707

Brushed with a stainless brush
          [/ATTACH][/ATTACH]
          Attached Files
          mike sr

Comment

Inside weld[ATTACH]Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC07623.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	11.7 KB
ID:	504732[/ATTACH]
            Attached Files
            mike sr

Comment

This is a weld on the steel pipe header, .030 stamping to a .0875 coupler part, 100% penetration 37amps dc, hand rotated on an arbor.Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC07530.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	12.3 KB
ID:	504733

inside weld as welded

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC07532.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	15.3 KB
ID:	504734
              mike sr

Comment

Originally posted by popspipes View Post

I need a new auto darkening hood that goes to shade eight as light is a big factor as the current goes lower.
                My Optrel Satellite will go from 5-13 and they come in Green

http://brwelder.com/indextemplate.cf...fm&Category=58
                Ed Conley
                http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
                MM252
                MM211
                Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
                TA185
                Miller 125c Plasma 120v
                O/A set
                SO 2020 Bender
                You can call me Bacchus

Comment

Pops,

They're some dang fine looking welds if you ask me.

Think you'll find with the high PPS, you can move faster and keep the bead cleaner. You may have to add a couple amps.

Don't have the luxury of a positioner/rotator. All my marine railing welds are done "the old fashioned way".
                  Syncrowave 250 DX Tigrunner
                  Dynasty 200 DX
                  Miller XMT 304 w/714D Feeder & Optima Control
                  Miller MM 251 w/Q300 & 30A SG
                  Hobart HH187
                  Dialarc 250 AC/DC
                  Hypertherm PM 600 & 1250
                  Wilton 7"x12" bandsaw
                  PC Dry Cut Saw, Dewalt Chop Saw
                  Milwaukee 8" Metal Cut Saw, Milwaukee Portaband.
                  Thermco and Smith (2) Gas Mixers
                  More grinders than hands

Comment

Broccoli,
                    I checked out the Optrel, looks promising, my eyes are getting kind of dim.
                    I really like the 5 to 9 setting!
                    My speedglas (newer one) is OK for general welding or anythinbg above 50 amps, the clarity isnt as good as a fixed shade though. I suppose some improvement in that regard has been made in the last few years though.
                    Thanks for the info.........

Sundown,
                    The turntable is homemade, I made 6 of these, sold them all but this one. It is OK for repetitive work. I use an arbor for the steel pipes and rotate the part with my left hand, that way I can get the rotation just the way I want it.
                    Those welds are "autogenous" on the stainless tube, I am not that good with filler rod mainly because I have done very little of it.
                    I want to experiment with the pulse, run the current up more yet and bring the percentages down to see if it improves penetration.
                    My replacements at the dairy use it on all their welds, so I need to go over and pick their brains a bit.
                    Last edited by popspipes; 07-01-2009, 06:16 AM.
                    mike sr

Comment

[QUOTE=popspipes;196715]Broccoli,
                      I checked out the Optrel, looks promising, my eyes are getting kind of dim.
                      I really like the 5 to 9 setting!
                      My speedglas (newer one) is OK for general welding or anythinbg above 50 amps, the clarity isnt as good as a fixed shade though. I suppose some improvement in that regard has been made in the last few years though.
                      Thanks for the info.........

I found the clarity better on the Speedglass 9002 and my digital elite, compared to an optrel sattelite, or my Miller XLIX, when i was playing with .030" stainless and Titanium. My .02 FWIW
                      Dynasty 200 DX
                      Millermatic 175
                      Spectrum 375
                      All kinds of Smith OA gear

Comment

mike sr

Comment

Dave,

Can't comment on the Speedglas or Optrel hoods but will throw in a couple comments about the Miller's.

Been using a standard Elite for a couple years. Always pretty happy with it. Couple of things I didn't like. First, it only went to a Shade 9. Second, it flashed me quite a few times doing really low amp tig work.(That could partly be my fault due to blocked sensors).

When I ordered the Dynasty, I went ahead and ordered the Elite Digital. That is one fine hood. Goes to shade 8. The x-mode is great for outdoor welding. I use the grind mode for plasma cutting. All in all a great hood. Only thing I don't like is having to turn the dang thing on at the beginning of each welding session. Know why they did it though (saves batteries) Really not a big thing once you get used to it. Very comfortable headgear and very lightweight.
                          Syncrowave 250 DX Tigrunner
                          Dynasty 200 DX
                          Miller XMT 304 w/714D Feeder & Optima Control
                          Miller MM 251 w/Q300 & 30A SG
                          Hobart HH187
                          Dialarc 250 AC/DC
                          Hypertherm PM 600 & 1250
                          Wilton 7"x12" bandsaw
                          PC Dry Cut Saw, Dewalt Chop Saw
                          Milwaukee 8" Metal Cut Saw, Milwaukee Portaband.
                          Thermco and Smith (2) Gas Mixers
                          More grinders than hands

Comment

I tried the stainless again@
                            150 amps
                            200 cycles
                            20 percent peak
                            10 percent background
                            Time period is 1 minute per 1 rotation
                            Actual output on the meter(pedal down watching the ammeter) 45 amps

The weld was about the same but it seems the welded part seems cooler, maybe its a figment of my imagination??
                            If the average amps are the same for the two welds shouldnt the part be the same heat wise?

I was looking for better penetration using the pulse and am not really seeing that.
                            Anyone have any input on this??
                            mike sr

Comment

Talked to the outfit that does the dairy welding, they said to use a lower pulse frequency,
                              125 amps
                              45 cycles
                              40 percent peak
                              10 percent background
                              48 amps average

I need to go to the dairy and get some coupon material and try it some more, what I see is that it makes a good weld but is comprable to what I would get on DC without pulse...........

I must be missing something??
                              mike sr

Comment

Wiki

As an initial start to this process, why not create a wiki for welding/fabrication? It would be then able to delve out information in a precise, organized manner. The articles would also have the benefit of being printed from a pdf format as needed. Additionally, given the editorial capabilities of any wiki, this would allow the engineers of miller, or any company in the welding and fabricating world to post factual data, as well as those craftsman and experts who have years and years of techniques that can be contributed.

Comment

Working...
                                X