Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dynasty Welding Book?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Choctaw View Post
    As an initial start to this process, why not create a wiki for welding/fabrication? It would be then able to delve out information in a precise, organized manner. The articles would also have the benefit of being printed from a pdf format as needed. Additionally, given the editorial capabilities of any wiki, this would allow the engineers of miller, or any company in the welding and fabricating world to post factual data, as well as those craftsman and experts who have years and years of techniques that can be contributed.

What about the average idiot posting myths and legends? How would that be dealt with?

Comment

"Idiot proof?"

Originally posted by FATFAB View Post
      [/SIZE]

What about the average idiot posting myths and legends? How would that be dealt with?
      Guess we'll have to come up with an "idiot filter."

Then have a chapter for "Welding Myths and Legends."

Dave

Comment

I would like to see some more input on the Dynasty features thats for sure.

Comment

I Agree

Originally posted by popspipes View Post
          I would like to see some more input on the Dynasty features thats for sure.
          Just having some fun. A comprehensive book regarding the Maxstar's, Dynasty's, and XMT's would be a nice trilogy.

Dave

Comment

Things like that can be easily taken care of. For example those who have editorial capability could be invited and asked to post; it doesn't necessarily have to be a free for all as some forums are. The methods for network security, access can be quite easily implemented. I don't need to go into painful detail about secure logins, ip filtering, https, .htaccess, .htpasswd, and a dozen other methods. Any skilled admin can make sure the "idiots" have read only capabilities

Comment

Book

Guys
              my vote is still for a book..... works at remote locations ... and.. needs no internet connection..
              Thanks
              Heiti

Comment

Books, Books, Books

Originally posted by H80N View Post
                Guys
                my vote is still for a book..... works at remote locations ... and.. needs no internet connection..
                Thanks
                Heiti
                Books: The final frontier. Going where people don't go anymore.

Dave

Comment

My Miller Student Package arrived today; lotsa reading.

Comment

I am fully in accordance w/ having a book, but something in the interim is nice to have and is merely a suggestion.

Comment

Don't expects books to go away very soon..... they have been around for thousands of years.... and may have survived who knows how many previous electronic ages?????........ But I do like the approach that Miller has taken on the TIG Handbook.... they have a downloadable PDF version online.... AND a printed book available for purchase...... so Both options are covered...
                      Just a thought..
                      Heiti

Comment

Guys
                        sure hope we do not let this idea die from neglect... It sure would be a useful tool that I and many others would be willing to pay for.... and hope you Miller guys do not underestimate what an important marketing tool it would be as well..
                        Thanks
                        Heiti

Comment

Originally posted by H80N View Post
                          Guys
                          sure hope we do not let this idea die from neglect... It sure would be a useful tool that I and many others would be willing to pay for.... and hope you Miller guys do not underestimate what an important marketing tool it would be as well..
                          Thanks
                          Heiti
                          Bump. Hello, Miller?? Without the information Heiti is requesting, the Hot Rod, Whiz Bang, Wide Screen, LED backlit, High Performance, Kick Butt, Turbocharged, Rock 'n Roll, High Octane, Suround Sound, Liberal Approved, Female Friendly, Fuel Injected, PLAYBOY endorsed, Solar Powered, Eco-Friendly, UV Safe, Fan-On-Demand, AWD, E-85 compatible, Blue Lightning Dynasty is no better than my 1993 Syncrowave.

I spent an hour writing down the parameters for a 12VS (for a friend) because they aren't under the unit's cover?? There's no way I'm upgrading(??) to a Dynasty without the parameters necessary to weld every conceivable material, thickness, tungsten (ceriated, lanthanated, zirconiated, thoriated and their related uses), tungsten grind angle, truncated tip diameter, filler, torch angle and everything else I forgot to mention. Heck, it's 2009, the science is there, MAKE IT AVAILABLE. (How much does a CD cost ) We're here because WE WANT TO KNOW MORE. The days of learning how to weld with a sinewave TIG, with the shop Wizard showing the way, are long gone.

You have LED displays on your MIGs with the parameters for every imaginable weldment, we want them too. (You know, the TIG guys.) We suffered through the hype and simplicity of the Diversion; now teach us the complexities of the Dynasty.

NO, youtube ISN'T OK.

Like Heiti, I prefer books too.

Craig in Denver
                          Last edited by Craig in Denver; 07-22-2009, 10:50 PM.

Comment

Cast my vote for that book as well......

Comment

Originally posted by SundownIII View Post
                              H80N,

Unfortunately, Crawdaddy is precisely the type user I was referring to in my previous posting. This is the same poster who asks the question, "do I use electrode postitive when welding steel?". The book/forum I think we're talking about is not for the user who doesn't even read his owner's manual or believe the data put out by the manufacturers regarding equipment capabilities. I suspect that they think some "wiseguy" just went off in the corner and pulled an answer out of their arse.

I've been tig welding for longer than many on this board have been around (think mid '60's and old Linde heliarc equipment) and every day I learn something new. The feeling I got, moving from the old sine wave equipment to the squarewave machines (WOW!), is the same feeling I now get in exploring the capabilities of the inverters.

The first thing I did when my new 200 arrived was sit down and read the owners manual from cover to cover. Couple of sections I had to read twice to fully comprehend. Covers a lot of detail with regards to how to set the machine up for a particular task, but is sorely lacking in explaining the WHY.

I think that's what a lot of users are looking for.
                              As I have recently said......Miller's instruction manuals just plain suck......... pg

Comment

Craig
                                like the way you put that....

Piniongear
                                ... the idea for this Miller book would be that we would all participate in building it... so that it would not "suck".... during development it could be a "living document" where hopefully we would all have input where it would be useful.... We have invested many thousands of dollars in the best equipment available...(BLUE) and the folks at Miller will invest quite a bit in the development of this book... it should be a cooperative ... synergistic effort..... there is an incredible amount of experience and knowledge available here on this forum... both the engineers and techs at Miller... and the user base out here.in the outside world..... how incredible that we can exchange info and knowledge...to the betterment of all...
                                thanks
                                Heiti
                                Last edited by H80N; 07-23-2009, 08:14 PM. Reason: clarity

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.