pipe liners welding 'hood'

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pipe liners welding 'hood'

They look like a circular piece of sheet metal with an opening for a set of goggles to be inserted. Thats how it looked in the pics at any rate. I think they were held on the head by the goggle strap. Some also had one side of the circle bent at a right angle to the front (back toward the head). So, why the custom setup? Are they supposed to be cooler or ??? Seemed sort of strange and I wondered about the whys. Any of you pipe line types use this type of hood?

Have you ever welded outside and had the sun shine into the backside of your hood?

I have a "wendy's" brand hood and love it although I'm not a pipeliner. It gets used quite abit, with alot of my work being outside.

Comment

No, Im usually inside/under a machine all cramped up groping around for the thing I was going to weld or in the shade in front of the shop. No extensive experience w/ back lighting.

Looked up the name you gave and that helps...pancake hoods. Hmmmm...they must be cooler too?
      Last edited by HayFarmer; 06-09-2009, 12:53 PM.

Comment

Pancake Weklding Hoods

Originally posted by HayFarmer View Post
        They look like a circular piece of sheet metal with an opening for a set of goggles to be inserted. Thats how it looked in the pics at any rate. I think they were held on the head by the goggle strap. Some also had one side of the circle bent at a right angle to the front (back toward the head). So, why the custom setup? Are they supposed to be cooler or ??? Seemed sort of strange and I wondered about the whys. Any of you pipe line types use this type of hood?
        They have a Balsa eyepiece (which you custom form to your forehead & nose) and completely "blacks-out" any background sun. The face of the hood is a pressure formed phenolic face place, and is formed either right or left to protect that side of your face. I added an elk skin liner to my eyepiece to make if more comfortable. They are extremely light weight, and a wide elastic strap keeps it on just right. The flip front model is slightly heavier, but with plastic lenses lessens any fatigue.

Dave
        "Bonne journe'e mes amis"

Comment

I've been curious about them myself..I understand about the goggle design to prevent back flash. My question is the face plate shape..Is there a reason for it being round or is that just the way it is?
          Miller Syncrowave 180
          Miller 211 w/ spool-gun
          Lincoln AC/DC buzzbox
          Cutmaster 38 plasma
          Oxy/Acet torch
          DeWalt Multi-Cutter
          Fiber Metal Helmets(old school)
          Enough Snap-On to be a dealer.

Comment

Are they durable? Balsa seems a poor fit for the usually rough environment welding occurs in.

Comment

"Round?"

Originally posted by chrisa7164 View Post
              I've been curious about them myself..I understand about the goggle design to prevent back flash. My question is the face plate shape..Is there a reason for it being round or is that just the way it is?
              Well, most of us have round faces and heads

I did send away for some square welding caps, they're out of stock

Dave

Comment

"Balsa Salsa"

Originally posted by HayFarmer View Post
                Are they durable? Balsa seems a poor fit for the usually rough environment welding occurs in.
                Actually, the balsa pieces are a good 1/2" thick, and quite durable.

Dave

Comment

good one..I know a couple guys who could use a square welding cap...I have several fiber metal and an old huntsman helmet..none of them are circular? granted some have a "rounded" shell,but none are a perfect circle like the pancake hood.
                  Miller Syncrowave 180
                  Miller 211 w/ spool-gun
                  Lincoln AC/DC buzzbox
                  Cutmaster 38 plasma
                  Oxy/Acet torch
                  DeWalt Multi-Cutter

Comment

"Pancakes & Syrup"

Distinctive trademark design. Some guys wear Nomex hoods underneath, others "doo-rags."

On small pipe, some just wear the goggles (they make Balsa Goggles too).

They do, however, keep out the sun!

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by davedarragh View Post
                      Distinctive trademark design. Some guys wear Nomex hoods underneath, others "doo-rags."

On small pipe, some just wear the goggles (they make Balsa Goggles too).

They do, however, keep out the sun!

Dave
                      do they fog up on you? I know in the winter time here I hold my breath while I come around the pipe sometimes it can be hard on a fat guy
                      DODGE 1 TON 6.7
                      PIPEPRO 304
                      TO MANY TOOLS
                      JUST WELDING IN CIRCLES
                      rig welders are like wheelbarrows hard to push around
                      and easily upset
                      go flames go

Comment

Originally posted by pipeline Dan View Post
                        do they fog up on you? I know in the winter time here I hold my breath while I come around the pipe sometimes it can be hard on a fat guy
                        Hard on a fat guy? I resemble that remark.

Griff

Comment

Dan..I'm guessing that they wouldn't fog up since your nose and mouth are outside of the lens area..like cutting goggle.
                          Miller Syncrowave 180
                          Miller 211 w/ spool-gun
                          Lincoln AC/DC buzzbox
                          Cutmaster 38 plasma
                          Oxy/Acet torch
                          DeWalt Multi-Cutter

Comment

Square,Block,Fat,Ballon Heads

Originally posted by chrisa7164 View Post
                            good one..I know a couple guys who could use a square welding cap...I have several fiber metal and an old huntsman helmet..none of them are circular? granted some have a "rounded" shell,but none are a perfect circle like the pancake hood.
                            Would the square ones be for Charlie Brown,?? I think it's Margret that calls him 'block head' Hmmm he looks more like a fat head to me. I guess he would need a ballon hood. Bob

Comment

"Foggles"

Originally posted by pipeline Dan View Post

Dan: They cover your eyes, not your nose.

Winter in Phoenix, sunny and 70

Dave

Comment

Working...
                              X