Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm having a problem with my Syncrowave 180, anybody ever seen this?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Location ???

Originally posted by Jake SS View Post
    No, it is a relay

A micro switch is never referred to as a relay nor is a torch trigger over here.

So a voltage switch is referred to as a relay by you guys over there?
    Jake, Where are you from, You Do Not Say where you are Located ?

.............. Norm

Comment

Originally posted by cruizer View Post
      Nope the electrical portion of the Releco is a relay, the mechanical test push button is a switch.

Same as a positioner table hitting an magnetic switch and reversing itself, no physical force really, just a polarity pickup, or even an electric eye picks up a discrepancy in its field of vision, or encoders that is also a switch for wave form production.
      An IGBT is a ultra fast switch, as are transistors, mosfets, scrs and such, all electrical switches.

Its all the way you look at the problem to get the job done.
      Nope it is a relay, that is it's main function. Some relays have a mechanical actuator, "flag", led's whatever but for all intents and purposes they are still a relay with a coil and some contacts.

IGBT's, fet's, micro's are indeed switches, they are not relays

My main point is why do you guys refer to a micro switch or a trigger switch as relays?? This is the third time I have asked the question and all I get is a question in response to a question.

Just curious as to why?

Comment

Originally posted by GerryR View Post
        Not really. A relay is sometimes referred to as a "electro-mechanical switch" but I've never heard of a switch being referred to as a relay and I've been design and building control systems and automation equipment for about 37 years, not that I couldn't have missed something.
        Did you read my posts thats what I am asking, why would someone call a switch a relay ?

Comment

Originally posted by Jake SS View Post
          Did you read my posts thats what I am asking, why would someone call a switch a relay ?
          Because they don't know any better??

Comment

I come from an aircraft background, circuit diagrams don't differentiate between a micro switch and a electromecanical relay. I know what thay are on a circuit diagram and that is all that matters. We were only talking about a foot pedal, where the OP was calling this device a limit switch.

I called it a relay as 2 pins in the pedal close to tell the machine to start up.
            For me its symantics, I was trying to make it simple for the guy to understand

Yes this is a mico switch even made by Mico switch

Comment

Jake SS,

I just signed up to answer your question regarding what we call relays and switches in Canada. Let me assure you we most definitely know the difference between the two.
              You can be certain that those individuals working on Canadian aircraft are very much Professional, and able to discriminate between the two on schematics, and in disscusions amongst themselves.
              You can fly with confidence

Comment

Originally posted by cruizer View Post
                I come from an aircraft background, circuit diagrams don't differentiate between a micro switch and a electromecanical relay. I know what thay are on a circuit diagram and that is all that matters. We were only talking about a foot pedal, where the OP was calling this device a limit switch.

I called it a relay as 2 pins in the pedal close to tell the machine to start up.
                For me its symantics, I was trying to make it simple for the guy to understand

Yes this is a mico switch even made by Mico switch
                OK so you guys call a switch a relay sometimes (in simple terms)
                I figured that was the case just had to confirm it, bit strange though.
                The OP I think was a bit confused when you actually referred to the switch as a relay.

circuit diagrams don't differentiate between a micro switch and a electromecanical relay.
                This worries me, do you have different symbols.
                Surely it would show a coil and contacts, or does it just show it as a set of switch contacts?

Comment

Originally posted by metalheater View Post
                  Jake SS,

I just signed up to answer your question regarding what we call relays and switches in Canada. Let me assure you we most definitely know the difference between the two.
                  You can be certain that those individuals working on Canadian aircraft are very much Professional, and able to discriminate between the two on schematics, and in disscusions amongst themselves.
                  I was just interested to know why you refer to a simple switch as a relay, have never heard of that terminology before.

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by metalheater View Post
                    Jake SS,

Have been thinking about you joining up just to clarify that you guys know the difference between relays and switches.
                    Were you just "passing by" and stumbled upon the posts?
                    Whats the odds on that?

I prefer to fly QANTAS !

Cheers

Comment

Jake SS,
                      Don't you think it's time to give this a rest? Everybody here knows the difference between a relay and a switch, even the guy who posted to clarify what was going on for someone else. So, let it drop. This is getting nauseating. Can't you find another subject to pounce on for awhile. Good grief!

Comment

Jake SS,
                        Everybody here knows the difference between a relay and a switch, even the guy who posted to clarify what was going on for someone else.
                        Right, he was just calling electrical components by names which they are not to "simplify" things for me.

Wheeww, now I get it. Thanks for clearing that up. In the future it might be easier to call switches switches, and relays relays. My electronics and electrical technology courses would be pretty confusing if my prof started using terms interchangeably. It would most likely result in a lot of non working microprocessors and PLCs.

As far as my welder goes, thanks Bob, you were right. It was a short between two wires (we do call them wires here right? Not hoses or rope or something?).

I bought some five conductor cable and rewired the foot pedal, everything is fine now.

I'm embarrassed that I didn't check that more thoroughly before I posted but there was no visible damage to the cable and I freaked out and thought the worst. I guess that's why they say that the wires are the most overlooked electrical component.

Comment

As far as my welder goes, thanks Bob, you were right. It was a short between two wires (we do call them wires here right? Not hoses or rope or something?).

Maybe you have something. From now on wires will be electron hoses, resistors will be electron flow reducers, capacitors will be electron storage dumps..........See, something positive finally results from all this!

Comment

Maybe you have something. From now on wires will be electron hoses, resistors will be electron flow reducers, capacitors will be electron storage dumps..........See, something positive finally results from all this!
                            Hahaha, and just when everyone thinks they have it all figured out....we'll change everything back!

Comment

Jake SS,
                              Don't you think it's time to give this a rest? Everybody here knows the difference between a relay and a switch, even the guy who posted to clarify what was going on for someone else. So, let it drop. This is getting nauseating. Can't you find another subject to pounce on for awhile. Good grief!
                              Whats your problem?
                              The whole deal could have been over with post 4

I dont let things drop, until I have the information to satisfy my curiosity. Not in my nature.

The problem with the written word is that some people take things the wrong way, like you for instance, if this is "nauseating" to you then maybe you should join a knitting forum.

Judging by your post I dont think that you have understood the posts at all.
                              There has not been any arguments just questions and answers, then you come up with a post to inflame the situation !

Good grief!

Comment

By Jake SS:
                                "The problem with the written word is that some people take things the wrong way, like you for instance, if this is "nauseating" to you then maybe you should join a knitting forum."

I knew eventually we would get to the root of the problem; you're against knitting!

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.