Ground clamp for MIG

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ground clamp for MIG

My MM211 has a pretty puny ground clamp.
    Would a toothy ground clamp from a portable battery booster be benificial to change? I have 2 of them.
    Millermatic 211 AutoSet w/MVP
    Century 110 volt 90/110 MIG-Gone to my son, in Texas
    Victor SuperRange OA
    Milwaukee Cold Cut Saw
    Milwaukee Portable Deep Cut Bandsaw
    Milwaukee Hole Hawg
    Jet Horizontal/Vertical Bandsaw
    Jet MD-18 Mill Drill
    Orbit Drill Press
    12 Ton Floor Press
    2002 E-350 V-10:
    1983 F-150 4.9L 6
    2004 Honda ST1300
    2007 Suzuki LTA400F Quad
    1997 Suzuki DR650

I'm not sure the clamps found on battery boosters would give you additional grounding surface area over and above the stock clamp that the MM211 comes with.

My clamp appears to function just fine...but if I were to replace it I think I would go with something like this

http://store.cyberweld.com/grounclam400.html

Comment

I have an older version of that one but it won't open past 1 inch, so I ruled it out.
      I'll get the type from Cyberweld.
      I don't see any at my LWS.
      Victor SuperRange OA
      Milwaukee Cold Cut Saw
      Milwaukee Hole Hawg
      Jet MD-18 Mill Drill
      Orbit Drill Press
      12 Ton Floor Press
      2002 E-350 V-10:
      1983 F-150 4.9L 6
      2004 Honda ST1300
      2007 Suzuki LTA400F Quad
      1997 Suzuki DR650

Comment

Ground Clamps

Originally posted by ligito View Post
        I have an older version of that one but it won't open past 1 inch, so I ruled it out.
        I'll get the type from Cyberweld.
        I don't see any at my LWS.
        ligito: If you wish to replace it, consider a good 200 amp brass, or steel. Something not too cumbersome, as you'll be handling it a lot.

Welding ground clamps don't open very far, as their spring pressure and design insures an effective "bite" on the material. I wouldn't be changing out for "cheapo battery charger" clamps though, consider a 12V battery compared to a 23.5 V MIG machine with a 150 amp output.

Dave
        "Bonne journe'e mes amis"

Comment

the Vice Grip style work pretty good, or there is a solid copper style that looks like a c-clamp.
          sigpic
          Miller Trailblazer 302
          Smith Torch Outfit
          Lots of Grinders
          Miller Elite Autodark Hood
          O'l Trusty Jackson

Comment

Ground Clamps

Originally posted by welderdude402 View Post
            the Vice Grip style work pretty good, or there is a solid copper style that looks like a c-clamp.
            Most of those "C" clamp style are 500 amp, and are used for larger leads. I have one fixed up for the Trailblazer when using my wire feeder.

The smaller MM's have #4 wire for the ground leads.

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by slicktoptt View Post
              ...but if I were to replace it I think I would go with something like this

http://store.cyberweld.com/grounclam400.html
              Those are good clamps. However I think it would be a little overkill for that size of a welder. On those clamps, it takes two hands to open them. I just look around before try to open it, to make sure no one sees me straining and struggling to put the clamp on the work piece.

Comment

Ground Clamp Overkill

Ace is right on this one. I've got one of those for my TB and my Sync 200. They do make a 200 amp model, same config, but a lot smaller, I have one on my MaxStar 150.

The steel type, with the copper strap are reasonably priced, and work great for the small MIGS. You don't need a clamp to open more than an inch, your not going to be welding anything that thick.

Dave

Comment

Don't waste a lot of time fussing over the size of the work lead (ground) clamp, or even the spring pressure - I am sure for the size of the machine it will do fine...

The secret to having any work lead (ground) clamp to work effectively, is to have it attached to a CLEAN surface.

If you weld for any amount, and cannot hold your bare hand on the work lead clamp, then you have poor contact, and are losing welding energy that is being converted to heat.

Now, if you are looking for a cheap alternative to your current work lead clamp, look around for an old set of Vice Grips that have lost some of the "bite" in the jaws - Weld a bolt on the back of the pliers, attach to your welder, and you are done.

Just remember, you still need to have the area CLEAN where you attach it.

Have a Good Night.
                  Later,
                  Jason

Professional Spark Generator by Trade.

Comment

I use this one for my MM175 and it works well, no teeth to wear out. http://store.cyberweld.com/groundclamp300.html

I also use one of these when there is no place to put the ground clamp.
                    http://store.weldersource.com/smg300.html

Comment

If I have to weld on 2 inch tubing and the end of the tube is not accessible, I would need it to open more than 2 inches, to clamp around the tube.

Right?

Size the clamp to suit the largest work you're going to do?
                      Victor SuperRange OA
                      Milwaukee Cold Cut Saw
                      Milwaukee Hole Hawg
                      Jet MD-18 Mill Drill
                      Orbit Drill Press
                      12 Ton Floor Press
                      2002 E-350 V-10:
                      1983 F-150 4.9L 6
                      2004 Honda ST1300
                      2007 Suzuki LTA400F Quad
                      1997 Suzuki DR650

Comment

Ground clamp

I have complained time after time on this site that Miller makes the best welder in the world with the cheapest, cheesyist ground clamp they can possibly use. If you use the ground supplied with any of their welders, you will experience overheating and even melting of the lead. Miller grounds are crap! Every time I buy a new Miller machine I automatically figure in the cost of replacing the ground.

MILLER STILL DOESN'T GET IT!

Comment

If I have to weld on 2 inch tubing and the end of the tube is not accessible, I would need it to open more than 2 inches, to clamp around the tube.

Right?

this is what you need then,
                          http://store.cyberweld.com/mamagrcl200a.html

here is a pic of one on a piece of pipe.
                          http://ep.yimg.com/ip/I/cyberweld_2052_367404

Comment

Right?

No, you can clamp a pair of vise grip #11's (especially if they have a small piece of angle iron tacked to one jaw), a c-clamp, anything that will fasten snugly to the tube. Then clamp your ground to that.

JTMcC.
                            Some days you eat the bear. And some days the bear eats you.

Comment

You can see the ground clamp that I use on my MM180 in the pic. I do not see it as overkill, there is no such thing as too good a connection...
                              Attached Files
                              Larry

"I feel for the man who can only spell a word one way"......Mark Twain

Lincoln AC225-S (OLD/Copper Wound)
                              Lincoln Weldpac 100
                              Miller Matic 180 (auto set)
                              Miller Spool gun 100
                              Miller Spectrum 375 Extreme
                              Victor Super Range II

Comment

Working...
                              X