No announcement yet.

Bandsaw

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Milwaukee 6232-6 Deep Cut Porta Band. $250. Don't waste your money on any of the cheap junk horizontals. I have had this saw for 15 years and all I have done is replace the rubber drive wheels and power cords. It will cut anything. I cut in ways with this saw that it was never intended to be used. Falls off the table at least once a month. Use it down in the ditch cutting in mud. In my opinion, for the money you will not find a tougher more versitile tool.

Originally posted by Bodybagger View Post
    Have you considered a portable bandsaw? I love my Milwaukee. It has replaced my chop saw for about 95% of the things I cut. And it fits in my toolbox.

Last edited by Can You Weld This For Me?; 04-05-2009, 07:17 AM. Reason: Just realized Bodybagger understands what I'm talking about...

Comment

Originally posted by Bodybagger View Post
      Have you considered a portable bandsaw? I love my Milwaukee. It has replaced my chop saw for about 95% of the things I cut. And it fits in my toolbox.
      I was just thinking about that,The portable also has a convienence factor for cutting things in place I may just go that route.Mike

Comment

Originally posted by crawdaddy View Post
        I was just thinking about that,The portable also has a convienence factor for cutting things in place I may just go that route.Mike
        Milwaukee also makes a stand for their porta band making it like a chop saw. I bought one when I got the saw new, never used it, ended up giving it away for next to nothing. Now they are nearly as much as the saw. There are some interesting homebuilt porta band stands that folks have made. Once you use a porta band and get use to handling it, you will be hooked.

Comment

Can You,
          Do you like them so much you just had to have two?
          I like how you have them setup in the vertical position.

Comment

No, the one on the stand is not mine. I do like them but only need one. I had the chop saw type stand, but I never used it.

Comment

I would stay away from the HF saw and its ilk just because of the difficulty I've had trying to fine-tune the adjustments on my Enco (Tiawan) 4x6 saw. I can get a 90 degree cut ok, but it has been difficult to maintain the accuracy of the cut in three dimensions. That is, the blade guides are hard to set so that the blade drops straight down producing a true 90 degree down cut. I had to re-machine the keyed guide adjusters for the roller guides and still it's difficult.
              Miller XMT-350 CC/CV
              Miller S-22A wirefeeder
              Bernard 400A "Q" gun
              Miller 30-A Spoolmatic w/WC-24
              CK 210 & WP-18 GTAW torches
              Hypertherm Powermax 30
              O/A Rig, Enco 4x6 bandsaw, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by crawdaddy View Post
                Anyone know of a good metal bandsaw,that doesnt take up too much space? will be used once a month or so but still want decent quality hoping to stay under $500 hundred range if possible.Is vertical or horizontal better for hobby use?Ive never used one so I dont have a clue.Mike
                crawdaddy, here's a portable with stand for $150. Probably will meet your needs.

http://grizzlyindustrial.com/product...-w-Stand/G8692
                The definition of courage. "It's when you know you're licked before you begin, but you begin anyway and you see it through to the end no matter what." From "To Kill a Mockingbird"

Comment

I've got a Delt vert/horz w/ a 1hp (120V) and its a good saw. Its a dry saw type saw, meaning no available or place for a coolant/mist system. It still a good saw though, especially after I put a Starrett blade on there

I got it off ebay for $240 too...normally it sells for $600-750, but there are a few on ebay every once in a while.

Comment

There is no doubt that the HF H/V bandsaw produces less than perfectly square cuts. However I have had little trouble getting close enough for welding purposes. If you need machine shop quality of cut, then you need machine shop quality machines. For the money, even with mods, I think my little HF bandsaw is an asset to my shop. With it I can make cuts quietly on Sunday mornings (not disturbing the neighbors, with out all the sparks and dust, and the parts are always cool enough to pick up immediately after the cut as long as I use the coolant pump.

Click image for larger version

Name:	BandsawMods.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	21.4 KB
ID:	504232
                    Larry

"I feel for the man who can only spell a word one way"......Mark Twain

Lincoln AC225-S (OLD/Copper Wound)
                    Lincoln Weldpac 100
                    Miller Matic 180 (auto set)
                    Miller Spool gun 100
                    Miller Spectrum 375 Extreme
                    Victor Super Range II

Comment

Originally posted by Larwyn View Post
                      There is no doubt that the HF H/V bandsaw produces less than perfectly square cuts. However I have had little trouble getting close enough for welding purposes. If you need machine shop quality of cut, then you need machine shop quality machines. For the money, even with mods, I think my little HF bandsaw is an asset to my shop. With it I can make cuts quietly on Sunday mornings (not disturbing the neighbors, with out all the sparks and dust, and the parts are always cool enough to pick up immediately after the cut as long as I use the coolant pump.

[ATTACH]17782[/ATTACH]
                      Is that a little DIY coolant system?? Looks good, I bet it wouldn't be too hard, maybe a little 1/3hp pump, lines, recovery pan, etc...

Bandsaw > chop saws

I just picked up a Ridgid chop last week, its very loud, messy, fire hazard, but it gets certain jobs done

Comment

Originally posted by Larwyn View Post
                        For the money, even with mods, I think my little HF bandsaw is an asset to my shop.
                        That is a pretty slick setup Larwyn.

Comment

Originally posted by nikodell View Post
                          Could be but they are psychically different in the photos.
                          uh what?
                          Ed Conley
                          http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
                          MM252
                          MM211
                          Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
                          TA185
                          Miller 125c Plasma 120v
                          O/A set
                          SO 2020 Bender
                          You can call me Bacchus

Comment

Originally posted by Broccoli1 View Post
                            uh what?
                            IOW you can tell by looking they are not the same motors. Even tho jet is probably the only one telling the truth about HP

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
                            Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
                            MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
                            Miller Dynasty 280 with AC independent expansion card
                            Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
                            Miller 30-A Spoolgun
                            Miller WC-115-A
                            Miller Spectrum 300
                            Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
                            Miller Digital Elite Titanium 9400

Comment

Originally posted by FusionKing View Post
                              IOW you can tell by looking they are not the same motors. Even tho jet is probably the only one telling the truth about HP
                              Went over yer head
                              Ed Conley
                              http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
                              MM252
                              MM211
                              Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
                              TA185
                              Miller 125c Plasma 120v
                              O/A set
                              SO 2020 Bender
                              You can call me Bacchus

Comment

Broccoli,

If you check the pic of my bandsaw above, you will notice that I have used your tip of using the vice grip style drill press clamp on the saw. That's a great idea that works out really well for cutting small parts at odd angles (or square for that matter. I still do use the original vise at times but the dp clamp sees a lot of use. Thanks for a great hint!!!
                                Larry

"I feel for the man who can only spell a word one way"......Mark Twain

Lincoln AC225-S (OLD/Copper Wound)
                                Lincoln Weldpac 100
                                Miller Matic 180 (auto set)
                                Miller Spool gun 100
                                Miller Spectrum 375 Extreme
                                Victor Super Range II

Comment

Working...
                                X