Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bandsaw

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bandsaw

Anyone know of a good metal bandsaw,that doesnt take up too much space? will be used once a month or so but still want decent quality hoping to stay under $500 hundred range if possible.Is vertical or horizontal better for hobby use?Ive never used one so I dont have a clue.Mike

A horizontal and vertical bandsaw might be the ticket. I liked the Delta I saw before but I haven't seen them for some time.

Here is the Jet:

http://www2.northerntool.com/metal-f...tem-155072.htm

You can get a cheap Harbor Fright or Grizzly also.

Comment

I have a grizzly band saw. I abuse it and it still works great like the day I got it. It seems to be quality made and I haven't had any problem with it. It has a small takes up very little floor space. The price has came down about $150. I think I paid 600 or so for it 3 years ago. At that price it was still a good buy, now it just even better.
      http://www.grizzly.com/products/4-x-...vel-Head/G9742

Comment

After running an abrasive chop saw for years, I finally bought a band saw last year. http://busybeetools.ca/cgi-bin/picture10?NTITEM=B1929 It was about $350cdn and I wish I had bought one sooner. It works in both horiz/vert position and the crap that it keeps out of the shop air is unbelievable. Also, the cuts are alot straighter.

Comment

I have an abrasive saw it just cost $20 on closeout, and thangod cause I hate to use the thing.

Comment

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=93762

Comment

I swear that the Jet, Harbor Fright, and Grizzly all sell the same saw with different paint, and labels.

Comment

Originally posted by UpperCanadaTree View Post
                After running an abrasive chop saw for years, I finally bought a band saw last year. http://busybeetools.ca/cgi-bin/picture10?NTITEM=B1929 It was about $350cdn and I wish I had bought one sooner. It works in both horiz/vert position and the crap that it keeps out of the shop air is unbelievable. Also, the cuts are alot straighter.
                Is that saw actually made in Sweden or is it just the blades.?

Comment

Have you considered a portable bandsaw? I love my Milwaukee. It has replaced my chop saw for about 95% of the things I cut. And it fits in my toolbox.

Comment

Northern Tools and all the others probably use the same saw with different paint and labels I don't shop too much online for that stuff, 'cause they all charge bucks to Hawaii I know ENCO has that saw, and most of their stuff, they ship free on the mainland!!!!
                    Price of a bandsaw (weight + shipping) = ???

Comment

It looks like they have different motors, I wonder what the different ratings are.

HP ratings
                      Jet 1/2
                      Grizzly 3/4
                      Harbor Fright 1

Yha the milwaukee porta band is a useful tool it would be sweet to make a chop saw frame for one to clip into. I have used these for woodworking but do not own one myself.
                      Last edited by nikodell; 04-05-2009, 05:40 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by nikodell View Post
                        It looks like they have different motors, I wonder what the different ratings are.

HP ratings
                        Jet 1/2
                        Grizzly 3/4
                        Harbor Fright 1
                        We hashed over the same HP question on the yahoo 4x6 group and it was explained that the wattage is the factor for the motor rating and the companies just have different opinions on the HP with the same motors...Bob

Comment

Could be but they are psychically different in the photos.

Comment

Is that saw actually made in Sweden or is it just the blades.?
                            Judging by the writing on the box, its made in china. I have no idea where the blades are made, but the bi-metal blades last a lot longer than the standard blades that came with the saw.

Comment

depends on what you are doing, but you can find ones at auctions really nice models that sell new for $1,000 for about $800, The small ones are nice and that is what I have, but those big ones, well I guess its like a plasma cutter you get one for 3/8" and wish you had the 1/2" .....

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.