Continuing Practice on 1/8" and 1/4" Aluminum

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Continuing Practice on 1/8" and 1/4" Aluminum

I have been practicing using my Dynasty 200dx on 1/8" coupons with 3/32 tungsten (now using 2% Lanthenated Blue) and 3/32" filler. I am just starting to get a little rythmn with the pedal and dabbing more consistantly.

My biggest challenge is getting it all right at the same time!

Last week I was gifted some scrap 1/4" AL (most were cut-offs from pieces of channel) and were pretty massive at the web section.

I tried welding them with my little WP-17 air cooled torch and had a heck of a time getting a puddle started and when I did I couldn't keep it that way when I added filler (it seems that it would take away the cleaning affect at the leading edge of the puddle) I tried add some more frequency to the mix and as well adjust the balance to have more positve Cycle. The sececond and third photo show the result of welding a fillet on both sides using 1/8" filler.

THANKS to the pros on this forum and the Welding web I am feeling more confident everytime I drop the hood!

Decided I better get a water cooled torch if I expected to weld 1/4" and as well step up to 1/8" tungsten.

Well, I finally got my camera back and thought I would post a couple of photos of my practice coupons for critique.

The first is 1/8" and the next couple are of my first 1/4" fillets

Have a great Week!
    Tim
    Attached Files
    sigpicRetired Elevator Consrtructor Local 19 IUEC
    AK bush pilot (no longer in AK) too old and no longer bold)
    Chaplain CMA chapter 26
    Dynasty200dx (new and loving it)
    MM-252 (NEW AND LEARNING IT)
    Hypertherm PM-45
    Miller 140 mig 110v
    Vtwin builder

Those look pretty good. Unfortunately you up against the 200s limit with that thickness. If you need more heat i think cranking the frequency will help focus the arc, and backing down the cleaning will help too. Wire brush really good before starting to compensate for the reduced cleaning, and wipe filler and work down with acetone or isoproply. i would also get some thinner stuff. i have found that good coupons make a big difference in the learning curve. The simplest way to make coupons for alluminum or steel is to buy flat stock in 1-1.5" width and just cut to 6" lengths. The time you spend with piles of scrap and the inconsistancy in material make for a SLOW learning curve because your always doing something different, and always spending more time trying to get some usable piece out of the scrap pile. I don't know how much experience you have but i floundered for several years screwing around with "cheap" (free) scrap. Buying the flat stock and practicing the same weld over and over made a HUGE difference for me.
    Dynasty 200 DX
    Millermatic 175
    Spectrum 375
    All kinds of Smith OA gear

Comment

Looks like you are getting the hang of it quite nicely.Keep up the good work.
      252 Miller Mig
      180 Synchrowave
      R - 45 Milling Machine
      Kingston 1100 Lathe
      Miller 2050 Plasma Cutter

Comment

Looks like you are getting pretty darn good with that thing.
        Going to the #26 torch set-up would aleviate some of your torch duty cycle problems. You would need the Dinse adapter and the power cord also. It uses the same consumables as your #17.
        But if you plan on spending money soon on a water cooled set-up then it might be money you would be needing for that instead.

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
        Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
        MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
        Miller Dynasty 280 with AC independent expansion card
        Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
        Miller 30-A Spoolgun
        Miller WC-115-A
        Miller Spectrum 300
        Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
        Miller Digital Elite Titanium 9400

Comment

Laiky

Thanks for the tips! I do plan on making that trip to the metal stocker real soon, as you are right it is frustrating and time consuming!

(should have a water cooled torch this week, and I am not expecting the 200dx to do more then it was intended. (I plan on making automotive and motorcycle parts and most will be 3/16" or less.

I am totally a newbie to the tig process, (only burnt up about 450cf of Argon and that was in the last 3 months in my home shop) Having a blast learning and being humbled daily by the learning curve compared to my experience with Mig/Stick and OA that I have done for years.

Tim
          Chaplain CMA chapter 26
          Hypertherm PM-45
          Miller 140 mig 110v
          Vtwin builder

Comment

Hi Tim:
            Wow, I was afraid my Sync wouldn't handle 1/4". Now that I see what one of those wimpy little Dynastys will do (), I'll re-evaluate my possibilities. Were you dialed up to the full 200 and how heavy did you have to step on the pedal? Like smashed? Or were you able to rock it after the start of the weld? It looks like the limitations may be the torch, not the amps. FK mentioned the #26 torch again, I don't see me with a WCT any time soon. Daydreams are a good thing.

Oh, 3/32" or 1/8" tungsten?
            RETIRED desk jockey.

Hobby weldor with a little training.

Craftsman O/A---Flat, Vert, Ovhd, Horz.

Miller Syncrowave 250.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Craig in Denver View Post
              Hi Tim:
              Wow, I was afraid my Sync wouldn't handle 1/4". Now that I see what one of those wimpy little Dynasty will do I'll re-evaluate my possibilities. Were you dialed up to the full 200 and how heavy did you have to step on the pedal? Like smashed? Or were you able to rock it after the start of the weld? It looks like the limitations may be the torch, not the amps. FK mentioned the #26 torch again, I don't see me with a WCT any time soon. Daydreams are a good thing.

Oh, 3/32" or 1/8" tungsten?
              Craig, (sorry I had to delete your smileys') so I could put mine in my reply (LOL) Careful, I will dial up the frequency on my Dynasty and it will likely short out your transformer and put your computer to sleep!!!

I did the 1/4" with 3/32 tungsten (before I got the 1/8" blue) Even the 1/8' got overheated with the air torch (I was using all of the 200amps) from the dynasty--

Thanks for the words of encouragement. Even when practicing on 1/8" the 17 torch I have gets awful hot real quick. I am enjoying the tig process so much I think I have determined it would be a good move to just bite the bullet and buy a cooler and 20 series torch. It has been recommended the Weld-tec torches and or any other Quality unit. My LWS agreed to give me a good price on a Binzel 3 gal cooler that is rated for 14k BTU and uses the Procon pump that seems most other brands use? I am going to talk to them tomorrow and see if what the best they can do on the torch with 25ft hoses and a Leather Cover.

I have been known to buy more then I need, (but darn it I still like quality) Besides I think Weld-tec is still made in the good ole USA!!??

I am really focusing on technique now and (in sporadic moments) I get it all together! A lot to learn----and put into practice I will keep posting my progress.

Thanks

Tim

My wife thinks at my age (I am loosing it) when she sees me walking the filler rod down my fingers while taping my foot and talking to her at the same time!! I keep reminding her of the days when we were 30 years younger and I would come home after a 16hr day on the job with welding smoke so thick on my face and smelling like a burnt pole cat!

Anyone used the new Weld-tec leather covers with the lightweight pigskin front end??
              Chaplain CMA chapter 26
              Hypertherm PM-45
              Miller 140 mig 110v
              Vtwin builder

Comment

Yeah, I hate the four smiley limit. :-(

Careful, if you turn up the freq on that little toy welder, your neighbors will complain about their electronics not working. A transformer is a man's machine, heck it hurts my back when I have to roll it out to change the bottle. Don't threaten my puter! It's a laptop and the keyboard died, I'm using a USB keyboard.

If I knew what I know now, I would have gone with a WCT. But I was the first (and still only) guy on the block with a $2500 welder. But most of my welding has been in class, so it can wait. I'll price a #26 just for curiosity someday. I've heard the pumps can be pretty noisy, and since I retrofitted my Sync with a 'fan on demand', I enjoy the quiet. I wear earplugs and still hear the AC through my bones when welding. Does the Dynasty have a 115v auxillary outlet on it for the watercooler? Don't ever forget to turn it on. It isn't like it will run like a #17 and just get warm; it'll get ruined.

"I have been known to buy more then I need, (but darn it I still like quality)"

Me too and me too. I don't have all the tools I want, but the ones I have are good.

"My wife thinks at my age (I am loosing it) when she sees me walking the filler rod down my fingers while taping my foot and talking to her at the same time!! I keep reminding her of the days when we were 30 years younger and I would come home after a 16hr day on the job with welding smoke so thick on my face and smelling like a burnt pole cat!"

LOL Your wife is right and you still look like a pole cat.
                RETIRED desk jockey.

Hobby weldor with a little training.

Craftsman O/A---Flat, Vert, Ovhd, Horz.

Miller Syncrowave 250.
                sigpic

Comment

Craig,
                  I would quote you but if I did I would be reminded that you are right!!

I don't know why Miller doesn't put a 110 outlet on their welders for lots of reasons, (heck the chinese put the extra outlets on the computers and even the stereo amps? As for the pump noise, I'll just turn the radio up! There is no doubt the Syncrowave's are great machines (I could have purchased a really good one for half the price of the dynsasty), but I just couldn't get past the performance it promised in such a small footprint! I must say, by the time I get it all set up in the shop I am not sure I will ever be taking it portable and or using it on 110volts? I haven't even once yet messed with the hidden menus but I am sure when I do I will be like a kid in a candy store.
                  I do know one thing I am having a lot of fun learning and when all goes right it is a gooooooood thing!

Oh didn't I mention I don't have close neighbors (must be that lingering smell of burning flesh from the weld shop

Tim---
                  Last edited by Ultrachop; 03-29-2009, 11:52 PM.
                  Chaplain CMA chapter 26
                  Hypertherm PM-45
                  Miller 140 mig 110v
                  Vtwin builder

Comment

The Weldtec stuff is top notch. i have the 20F with the 25 ft rubber (more flexible and durable) hoses. I love it! I also have the leather cover and it is nice. at my bench i use a 12' setup with a nylon cover and i like that too. Some cost saving tips. For a torch cover you can go to a store like EMS or REI and get 25 feet of nylon webbing for about 25 bucks instead of the MUCH more expensive leather cover, especially if your a hobby guy. For a cooler you can look on e-bay for a carbonator setup. It comes with a procon pump, and a stainless steel tank. I got mine for 65 bucks. You don't NEED a heat exchanger unless your welding at high amps for a while. You could always plumb in a tranny cooler and muffin fan for under 100 bucks. I have a new heater core a friend aquired and a large 110 volt server fan i will be adding to mine. You will also need a decent strainer. I ran water in mine for the last 3 years. It got really funky and i just cleaned it out and i'm switching to miller coolant. I would love a coolmate but there really is nothing to them to justify the expense. If you go the carbonator route you need to check the pressure and keep it at about 60 psi.

something like this:
                    http://cgi.ebay.com/McCanns-Carbonat...3A1%7C294%3A50

you can even get a Brand new or rebuilt procon for around 65 bucks.
                    Dynasty 200 DX
                    Millermatic 175
                    Spectrum 375
                    All kinds of Smith OA gear

Comment

Tim,

Personally, I think you're better off working with the "free" scrap you're getting. You're (from the photos)past just welding two strips of metal together.

There's an old joke amonst us oldtimers that if you just practice on perfect, equal sized coupons, you'll get really good at "welding equal sized coupons" and not much good at welding anything else.

You know you could pick up a Smith gas mixer and add a little helium to the argon and really increase the capability of the Dynasty 200. Ha Ha. Just kidding.

Those beads look good but do look like they'd like a little more "heat". Once you get the WCT, you can check out the duty cycle on that Dynasty.
                      Syncrowave 250 DX Tigrunner
                      Dynasty 200 DX
                      Miller XMT 304 w/714D Feeder & Optima Control
                      Miller MM 251 w/Q300 & 30A SG
                      Hobart HH187
                      Dialarc 250 AC/DC
                      Hypertherm PM 600 & 1250
                      Wilton 7"x12" bandsaw
                      PC Dry Cut Saw, Dewalt Chop Saw
                      Milwaukee 8" Metal Cut Saw, Milwaukee Portaband.
                      Thermco and Smith (2) Gas Mixers
                      More grinders than hands

Comment

Sundown,

I am doing both, every time I find a piece of Aluminum I drag it home and cut and stick it together A for the heat on the weld I posted, I got it stuck together but I had to stay on the puddle like I was OA welding and the whole piece up like overheated block on a rice rocket! I was having trouble keeping the cleaning action uniform and generally not good! I don't see myself doing much of this size stuff with the 200, but it was for sure interesting and a learning process. My biggest challenge is pretty clear to me, I need to keep practicing my Rhythm or (lack there of)

Tim
                        Chaplain CMA chapter 26
                        Hypertherm PM-45
                        Miller 140 mig 110v
                        Vtwin builder

Comment

Originally posted by Ultrachop View Post
                          I need to keep practicing my Rhythm or (lack there of)
                          Tim

Ever seen that movie "white man can't dance?" lol...don't worry, Chinese can't either
                          (sidenote......) beads looking pretty good, keep it up!
                          Last edited by Bert; 03-30-2009, 02:32 AM.
                          I'm not late...
                          I'm just on Hawaiian Time

Comment

Bert,

I know I can't dance! I figured that with my shakey hands I could be a tig welder if I could just learn to regulate them? Forgot that my feet had to work at the same time in time with my hands (oh crap)!!

I think my wife is starting to understand I am serious about this new obsession, she said she found my Dynasty manual next to the jaccuzi tub! on top of my other Harley magazines!!

Tim
                            Chaplain CMA chapter 26
                            Hypertherm PM-45
                            Miller 140 mig 110v
                            Vtwin builder

Comment

Originally posted by Ultrachop View Post
                              she said she found my Dynasty manual next to the jaccuzi tub! on top of my other Harley magazines!!
                              Tim

WOW!!! NOT THAT'S SERIOUS!!!!!!!
                              Start expecting welding stuff or gift cards for welding
                              I'm not late...
                              I'm just on Hawaiian Time

Comment

Working...
                              X