spoolmate 100 question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• spoolmate 100 question

I recently purchased a mm211 with auto-set and the spoolmate 100 gun. I have never welded aluminum with a spoolgun before only tig. I am wondering why I keep getting the wire melting back to the contact tip? I am using .030" 4043 wire and also .035" 5356 wire with 100% argon gas with the same result. I also get a lot of weld spatter with the 5356 wire. I am setting the welder up according to the settings inside the cover with little success. Any help is very much appreciated. Paul
    At home:
    Dynasty 200 DX
    Millermatic 211 Auto-set
    Spoolmate 100

At work:
    2-Syncrowave 250
    2-maxstar 150
    millermatic 250X
    Dynasty 200 DX

Sounds to me like you need more wire speed or down with the heat.
    252 Miller Mig
    180 Synchrowave
    R - 45 Milling Machine
    Kingston 1100 Lathe
    Miller 2050 Plasma Cutter

Comment

Actually its a poor design on the tip. The nose needs to be bigger to help with the heat. I swapped mine over to a normal Miller Mig gun tip and never had another one stick. I can even run .035 alum wire thru a .030 tip with zero problems. If anyone wants it done i will do it, all i need is your copper tube from you spoolgun...Bob
      Bob Wright

Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
      http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Comment

spoolmate 100

I use the spoolmate 100 on my 180 autoset. I always use the next larger tip for alum wire . if Iam using 030 wire I use a 035 tip, also use the dip antispatter and use it every second time I quite welding. also push the gun rather that pull. also when I start to weld I have about 1 inch of wire out past the nozzle. hope this helps. love my set up. Diverdown
        sigpic2001 Dodge Ram welding truck. Hobart champion 10.000, miller Diversion 165. miller 180 autoset with spoolgun. SIP plasma cutter. Airless plastic welder.1996 28 foot bayliner for hauling dive and welding equipment

Comment

Thanks for the quick replys!!! metal master.... What did you do to the copper tube to use the regular mig tips? I am interested in your approch to this situation. I am also going to go get a jar of nozzle dip and try this too. I know that this is going to take some practice but anything I can do to make thing come out better always helps if you know what I mean.
          At home:
          Dynasty 200 DX
          Millermatic 211 Auto-set
          Spoolmate 100

At work:
          2-Syncrowave 250
          2-maxstar 150
          millermatic 250X
          Dynasty 200 DX

Comment

I just took the tube from the spoolgun barrel, chucked it up in my lathe, trimmed off about 1/16" drilled and tapped for 1/4-28 and its done. I fought with mine for a few months until i did the switch plus the tips are cheaper. Email me if you want yours done...Bob aametalmaster@yahoo.com
            Bob Wright

Comment

Metal master, what is the purpose for triming the barrel ? Is it because the other contact tips are longer? I have access to a metal lathe and other equipment to do this myself just would like to answer a few questions before doing the samething. Thanks for the offer though I really appreciate it.

Paul
              At home:
              Dynasty 200 DX
              Millermatic 211 Auto-set
              Spoolmate 100

At work:
              2-Syncrowave 250
              2-maxstar 150
              millermatic 250X
              Dynasty 200 DX

Comment

Aluminum ?

Originally posted by aametalmaster View Post
                I just took the tube from the spoolgun barrel, chucked it up in my lathe, trimmed off about 1/16" drilled and tapped for 1/4-28 and its done. I fought with mine for a few months until i did the switch plus the tips are cheaper. Email me if you want yours done...Bob aametalmaster@yahoo.com
                Bob, Hi;

Trimmed Off 1/16" to make it shorter?? And you drilled a 1/4" -28 where and for what ?

................ Norm
                - Arcair- K 4000 CAC.
                - LN - 25
                - Lincoln Ranger 8
                -DeWalt Compressor

www.normsmobilewelding.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by Paul G. View Post
                  Metal master, what is the purpose for triming the barrel ? Is it because the other contact tips are longer? I have access to a metal lathe and other equipment to do this myself just would like to answer a few questions before doing the samething. Thanks for the offer though I really appreciate it.

Paul
                  Yes the regular mig gun tips are a smidge longer.

Norm. I trim the barrell where the tip screws in about 1/16" off the threaded end then i drill it for a 1/4-28 tap for the new tip size.

I have a few new ones i will do the setup and take pics for you guys. Give me a few hours i have to go burn 10# of 7018...Bob
                  Bob Wright

Comment

Works just fine from the factory on the Passport Plus
                    Ed Conley
                    http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
                    MM252
                    MM211
                    Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
                    TA185
                    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
                    O/A set
                    SO 2020 Bender
                    You can call me Bacchus

Comment

spoolmate 100

I do not think changing the style of tip is going to solve the problem he is having just makes it cheaper to replace tips. I think it may be the end user that needs to adjust to the situation. diverdown
                      sigpic2001 Dodge Ram welding truck. Hobart champion 10.000, miller Diversion 165. miller 180 autoset with spoolgun. SIP plasma cutter. Airless plastic welder.1996 28 foot bayliner for hauling dive and welding equipment

Comment

Use about 3/4" of wire stick out. I too have burned a few tips using my spoolmate 100 on my Miller Passport plus, especially if you don't have much stick out. The wire speed has to be high, you need to move fast, pushing the gun along, I run around 20cf of argon. Also give the gun a rest after a few minuets of use, it over heats before you will ever hit the duty cycle of the welder power source.

Comment

Well as of right now I am not going to have any time until maybe Saturday to do any welding. I did get a container of nozzle dip and will try that along with turning up the wire speed. If I still have issues after a few hours of practice I will do the contact tip modification. I will also post a few pictures and see what everyone thinks. Once again for all the replys!!!

Paul
                          At home:
                          Dynasty 200 DX
                          Millermatic 211 Auto-set
                          Spoolmate 100

At work:
                          2-Syncrowave 250
                          2-maxstar 150
                          millermatic 250X
                          Dynasty 200 DX

Comment

Here are some pics of the mod. I am glad i did it and never would go back to a normal small tip...Bob

1st pic. Remove barrel from gun then remove small screw and push out copper tube.
                            2nd pic. Face off 1/16 or so from the end of the tube.
                            3rd pic. Drill 7/32 or #3 if you have it. Drill about 9/16" deep. Chamfer the inside a little.
                            4th pic Tap with a 1/4-28 tap and use a tailstock center for a guide.
                            5th pic Done
                            Attached Files
                            Bob Wright

Comment

Working...
                            X