Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you think of this oxy-acetylene outfit?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you think of this oxy-acetylene outfit?

EDIT
    Even after a better look, does this outfit still look to be china-crap? As a second option, I called my local AIRGAS and they recommended a medium duty outfit from Randor by Harris, would this be a good/better setup?

Hi guys, longtime lurker, first time poster.

I'm a newbie to say the least, but I've learned a lot perusing this community. I'm a hobbyist looking to buy my first torch outfit. A buddy of mine recently dug this setup out of his garage, which has never been used to the best of his knowledge, and has offered to sell it to me. Like i said, I'm a beginning hobbyist who does some light fabrication. The thickest metal I will need to cut is about an 1 inch thick.

It kinda looks like China crap, but I really don't know what I'm looking at. Ultimately, will this setup work well enough, or should I pony up a little bit of dough and getting something decent?

Just wondering if anyone knows anything about this and if what might be reasonable to offer him

Now Try Clicking on the Pictures

Last edited by BlackRifle223; 02-18-2009, 07:51 PM. Reason: fixed pictures, new questions

Sorry, but I can't get your pics to expand and my old eyes aren't up to the task of trying to read the details.

EDIT: Heck with it...if it isn't a name brand, forget it. Spend the money on quality once and it should last you a good long time.
    Last edited by WyoRoy; 02-18-2009, 06:04 PM.
    Miller 251...sold the spoolgun to DiverBill.
    Miller DialArc 250
    Lincoln PrecisionTig 275
    Hypertherm 900 plasma cutter
    Bridgeport "J" head mill...tooled up
    Jet 14 X 40 lathe...ditto
    South Bend 9" lathe...yeah, got the change gears too
    Logan 7" shaper
    Ellis 3000 band saw
    Hossfeld bender w/shopbuilt hyd.
    Victor Journeyman torch and gauges
    3 Gerstner boxes of mostly Starrett tools
    Lots of dust bunnies
    Too small of a shop at 40 X 59.

Comment

I'm with wyoroy on this one too! Go brand name, I did and 12 years of mud,snow, rain,freezing cold, regs sliding around on the floor and still holding up! Choose Victor.

Comment

Torch Set-up

Hi;
        I could be wrong, but it looks like my old Harris Torch ?

.......... Norm
        PS.; My eyes ain't what they used to be !!
        Last edited by nfinch86; 02-18-2009, 06:49 PM.
        - Arcair- K 4000 CAC.
        - LN - 25
        - Lincoln Ranger 8
        -DeWalt Compressor

www.normsmobilewelding.blogspot.com

Comment

Pass....that is the harbor freight / tool truck elcheapo set up.... last one I watched a guy use (from a distance) the flame moved back into the head and the tubes were glowing .... a poor head casting / design is why I feel the flame acted like it did...... he tossed the entire thing in the trash after smashing it with a hammer and cutting up the hoses.
          George W. Bush was saving your butt whether you liked it or not!
          Fear is temporary, regret is forever
          HH210 with SG

Comment

I have Smith stuff that dates from WWII and still works, i'm no expert but i understand it works better than most new stuff. Smith is still made in the USA (if nothing has changed in the last year or 2) and they have an excellent and durable product. I would take a good look at them. As mentioned it will last a life time and it won't blow up in your face.
            Dynasty 200 DX
            Millermatic 175
            Spectrum 375
            All kinds of Smith OA gear

Comment

I am no expert but I would save up and buy a quality set of Harris torches.There are other good sets out there the Victors are not as good as they used to be acording to Arometalworker(may have his name wrong).Something you could do is find a good name set that needs a rebuild and have them rebuilt this may be cheaper.Arometalworker will likely post when he sees your thread. I would listen to him if I were you he is THE MAN when it comes to oxy fuel welding and cutting.Don't rule out propane if a lot or little cutting is in store for you.
              Harris welding torch
              Harris Cutting torch propane
              Syncrowave 200
              Mastercraft 4.5 grinder
              20 ton press
              Milwaukee 14" Dry Cut Machine
              Miller Digital Elite (Luckys Speed Shop)
              3/4" Welding Table

Comment

spend the money on a good quality OA set ..and do it once.. the higher end torches are able to be sent out for rebuilds.. work like new again at a fraction of the cost

Comment

Try a Smith or Oxweld(ESAB)

Even some of the cheaper Victor setups are made in China. TSC has a Victor fire power and on the back of the package it clearly states made in CHINA. If your local welding store doesn't have Smith then try ordering one from Cyberweld or one of the other sites. Buy a cutting tip for 1/4" while you are at it.

Comment

Torch Set-up

Hi;

I took a closer look, No Way is that a Harris set-up !!
                    Cheap Imitation !!

............. Norm
                    - Arcair- K 4000 CAC.
                    - LN - 25
                    - Lincoln Ranger 8
                    -DeWalt Compressor

Comment

Don't do it!!!!!!

I ran into a whole pile of these at a harbor frieght return auction and about half of the cutting torches had burned through the tubes.
                      TB 302
                      Sync 250 DX
                      MM 180 Auto
                      Lincoln tombstone
                      DVI-2
                      Why do we drive on a parkway and park on a driveway

Comment

Torch Set-up

Originally posted by metalpuddler View Post
                        I ran into a whole pile of these at a harbor frieght return auction and about half of the cutting torches had burned through the tubes.
                        Metal;

That's Scarry, Buy Quality Equippment--- Harris--Victor-- Smith-- Etc.,

................... Norm
                        - Arcair- K 4000 CAC.
                        - LN - 25
                        - Lincoln Ranger 8
                        -DeWalt Compressor

Comment

Thank you

Thanks a lot for all your input. I truly appreciate you all taking the time to give me a push in the right direction. I'll be going with that Harris unit from airgas.

Comment

Working...
                          X